Phil Housley discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
2015-2016 - 15 points from a playoff spot

2016-2017 - 17 points from a playoff spot

Not even close to being in the playoffs or sniffing the playoffs. Not sure being in 9th for MOST shots given up being 16th in GAA his first year, and then when he recommended to Murray what type of players he needed after one year Buffalo slid to giving the MOST shots against and 21st in GAA would go well. The team got worse, as they got familiarized with the system. That shouldn't happen in a competent system.

The team at no point played well. Sure if you want to compare the team to the tank years, then maybe you can say they were better, but "well" is not close to describing their game.
So no answer to Blysma's system....cool. Love when people criticize with no answer.

And they were almost .500 and a few points out of the playoffs at one point.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
So you can't be terrible and almost make the playoffs? Is that a rule here? Sorry I didn't know.

On that note Almost made the playoffs but Blysma is terrible.

Hmmmm....A bit of a conundrum.
Bylsma coached a historically bad PK and his player usage was as bad as Housley’s.

Literally the only two things he did right was stretch passing to bypass a limited defense and the power play.

Meanwhile, Botterill has had a couple of largely zero sum offseasons and somehow vastly downgraded from a bottom-third coach, but isn’t responsible for this mess? Lolno, that’s not how things work.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
So no answer to Blysma's system....cool. Love when people criticize with no answer.

And they were almost .500 and a few points out of the playoffs at one point.

Loved how you backtracked from saying it was a sound system to one that made us more competitive, which are two entirely different things. Was Bylsma's system a more competitive system than say Rolston's or Nolan's, possibly, but was it a sound system that produced positive results, IMO, no, but someone's opinion might say otherwise. Either way, it didn't lead to much success.

After 1st month of 2015-2016 - Buffalo was in 14th in the East 4 points out of a playoff spot(8th place).
After 2nd month of 2015-2016 - Buffalo was 13th in the East 5 points out of a playoff spot (8th place)
After 3rd month of 2015-2016 - Buffalo was 15th in the East 9 points out of a playoff spot (8th place)
After 4th month of 2015-2016 - Buffalo was 14th in the East 11 points out of a playoff spot (8th place)
After 5th month of 2015-2016 - Buffalo was 15th in the East 15 points out of a playoff spot (8th place)
After 6th month of 2015-2016 - Buffalo was 14th in the East 13 points out of a playoff spot (8th place)
At the end of 2015-2016 - Buffalo was 14th in the East 12 points out of a playoff spot (8th place)

After 1st month of 2016-2017 - Buffalo was in 13th in the East 2 points out of a playoff spot(8th place).
After 2nd month of 2016-2017 - Buffalo was 15th in the East 4 points out of a playoff spot (8th place)
After 3rd month of 2016-2017 - Buffalo was 16th in the East 10 points out of a playoff spot (8th place)
After 4th month of 2016-2017 - Buffalo was 15th in the East 7 points out of a playoff spot (8th place)
After 5th month of 2016-2017 - Buffalo was 13th in the East 6 points out of a playoff spot (8th place)
After 6th month of 2016-2017 - Buffalo was 14th in the East 12 points out of a playoff spot (8th place)
At the end of 2016-2017 - Buffalo was 15th in the East 17 points out of a playoff spot (8th place)

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Kind of hoping for a thrqshing in the next 2 games sk that the baffoon is fired while we still have playoff chances. I know I shouldnt but I do.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
“Terrible” or “almost made the playoffs.” Pick one.
The team Botts inhereted was pretty terrible. A 78 point team that played the last 22 games at a rate that would give them 30 over an 82 game season (7-14-2 after stepping briefly into the playoff picture, like 5 points out in Feb or something), when the fact that they gave up 20 transition attempts at ES per game to the other team for free finally was catching up to them and the players were sick enough of playing that way to send Jack up to the GMs office to talk about it.

This isn't a defense of anyone, but people sometimes talk about that team like it was going somewhere.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
The team Botts inhereted was pretty terrible. A 78 point team that played the last 22 games at a rate that would give them 30 over an 82 game season (7-14-2 after stepping briefly into the playoff picture, like 5 points out in Feb or something), when the fact that they gave up 20 transition attempts at ES per game to the other team for free finally was catching up to them and the players were sick enough of playing that way to send Jack up to the GMs office to talk about it.

This isn't a defense of anyone, but people sometimes talk about that team like it was going somewhere.
No we use that team as an example of how we went backwards. We got rid of Bylsma to springboard over 80 points and continue to climb. We have not done that, we drastically declined from where we were 2 years ago.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Here Botts here is a terrible team given to you from Murray.....Botts you suck you finished last!

Give me a break with your agenda.

You don't know what Botts was trying to do but you speak of it like you are in the room with Botts.
You have no idea so please don't pretend to know what the sabres goal was last year.

I know what the goal was because everything has has said and done was consistent with trying to win -- he couldn't do it. Murray sucked, and so far, Botts has sucked.

Reactions: sabremike

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Ooooof. Murray was one of the worst GM's in the history of the league. His best, pushed to the cap, all assets spent team finished 23rd. We are still dealing with the fallout from him and will continue to deal with it for the foreseeable future. Moulson, Okposo, and Bogosian are $15mil plus of cap space.

And as far as not improving by firing Bylsma, that was my point not yours.

Most of the team is now made up of Botteril guys, and we still suck. If Murray was the worst GM in history, Botts heading towards second-worst, which is somehow not as satisfying for me as it seems for you.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Most of the team is now made up of Botteril guys, and we still suck. If Murray was the worst GM in history, Botts heading towards second-worst, which is somehow not as satisfying for me as it seems for you.

Well considering Murray has given us Moulson, Bogo, Okposo and in extension Ennis also Poms on this roster. Because of Murray there is over 20 mil in caps a quarter of our cap. Tied up in the following bums : Moulson, Okposo, Bogo and Poms (Ennis). That is all on murray.

Though Botts needs to fire Phil if this continues. This team has too much talent to play this way. I am not a fan of Botts picking Housley and I hope he fires him soon.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
He has a shot at coming back from this road trip with the team at .500. I think the organization will consider that a success. He's not afraid to switch up the lines or sit a veteran. He's switching up personnel on the PK and PP.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
When Bylsma was here and we were all clamoring for his head, I remember thinking that he was never in any danger because there weren't even whispers about his job security among the main media outlets. It wasn't until that abysmal finish in year 2, coupled with the players rumblings that the reporters started saying "could he be in danger"? I think his resume and the general consensus that the talent was terrible here gave disco the benefit of the doubt with many people.

However, I've already read quite a few whispers/rumors about Phil. The main media outlets generally acknowledge that the talent here is good, and Phil doesn't have a history of success to lean back on. If the team doesn't show improvement soon I think he's gone sooner than later.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
When Bylsma was here and we were all clamoring for his head, I remember thinking that he was never in any danger because there weren't even whispers about his job security among the main media outlets. It wasn't until that abysmal finish in year 2, coupled with the players rumblings that the reporters started saying "could he be in danger"? I think his resume and the general consensus that the talent was terrible here gave disco the benefit of the doubt with many people.

However, I've already read quite a few whispers/rumors about Phil. The main media outlets generally acknowledge that the talent here is good, and Phil doesn't have a history of success to lean back on. If the team doesn't show improvement soon I think he's gone sooner than later.
Not that I disagree or disapprove with the idea of moving on from Housley... but where have you read this? I haven't really seen much on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->