Phil Housley discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Okay let's please not boot this season away by waiting until the end of the year.

Housley is just as bad as Bylsma.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MOD WARNING: Knock it off with comments about each other. Comments are to be about Phil Housley. Stay on topic or at a minimum you will be removed from the thread.
added: 11/29/2018 Buffaloed

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Heretic

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Bylsma had a system and could get the team to play it for awhile, at least until they realized it was a terrible system. Housley has shown no evidence he can implement anything.

Yeah, this is the most disturbing for me. I have no idea how Housley wants the guys to play. It seemed like tonight, we were throwing pucks back to the D and the D were firing in the direction of the net. That's not a way to get consistent chances.

I'm not sure what Housley's system is.....in either end.

Reactions: Samsonite23

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Yeah, this is the most disturbing for me. I have no idea how Housley wants the guys to play. It seemed like tonight, we were throwing pucks back to the D and the D were firing in the direction of the net. That's not a way to get consistent chances.

I'm not sure what Housley's system is.....in either end.
I don't think the players do either. You watch almost any other team in the league, and everyone knows where to be at all times, and they know where their teammates are going to be. They play fast, not necessarily because they are fast skaters, but because they make quick decisions. We play like Phil maybe gave them some vague advice about what to do with some buzzwords thrown in. Ted Nolan would be better, because at least he could get his teams to hustle. Phil doesn't even have that going for him.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
If Housley gets fired mid season do we make one of the assistant coaches interim and hope coach Q shakes lose from Chicago?

I would hate to pull Tails from Rochester right away.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Ok Let's say we move on from Phil in season. What's the plan? In house interim options are Payne and Taylor. I don't think there are any good unemployed coaches out there. We'd basically be hoping that Quenneville, Boudreau, McClellan get fired mid season so we could snatch them up.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Ok Let's say we move on from Phil in season. What's the plan? In house interim options are Payne and Taylor. I don't think there are any good unemployed coaches out there. We'd basically be hoping that Quenneville, Boudreau, McClellan get fired mid season so we could snatch them up.
I think Botterill's plan was to groom Taylor in Rochester and eventually bring him up to Buffalo if Housley didn't work out. I'm sure he didn't foresee last year going as badly as it did, though. I'm not sure if there's a good solution, but I've gotta think he will pull the plug if things are still going the same way after 10-20 games. Anything is better than another season thrown away before December.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'm all aboard he Chris Taylor train. Unless it's deep into the season. Then he can finish the season and start next year.

Last thing this franchise needs on the main roster is another “rookie” at a coaching or management position in the NHL. The franchise needs veteran leadership, structure, and standards. Let Taylor continue to develop in the AHL.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
I think Botterill's plan was to groom Taylor in Rochester and eventually bring him up to Buffalo if Housley didn't work out. I'm sure he didn't foresee last year going as badly as it did, though. I'm not sure if there's a good solution, but I've gotta think he will pull the plug if things are still going the same way after 10-20 games. Anything is better than another season thrown away before December.
Is another rookie coach with zero NHL experience really the answer? What's he done in Rochester to warrant the confidence?

Time to get some real adults behind the bench running this team, because it's a f***ing free-for-all out there. Get some structure and discipline on this team already.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Is another rookie coach with zero NHL experience really the answer? What's he done in Rochester to warrant the confidence?

Time to get some real adults behind the bench running this team, because it's a ****ing free-for-all out there. Get some structure and discipline on this team already.
I agree, and I didn't mean to give the impression that I'm advocating for Taylor to take over this season. But the question was, who? Are there any veteran coaches like you are talking about currently out there? By the way, Bylsma was a veteran coach with structure (maybe not so much discipline). They need to find the right guy, not just any veteran coach.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Last thing this franchise needs on the main roster is another “rookie” at a coaching or management position in the NHL. The franchise needs veteran leadership, structure, and standards. Let Taylor continue to develop in the AHL.
Understandable. I would agree in every other hiring of the past 10 years. I just think Chris Taylor is going to be a very good NHL coach. My opinion, could be right or wrong. I've just liked everything he's done and said.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I don't think the players do either. You watch almost any other team in the league, and everyone knows where to be at all times, and they know where their teammates are going to be. They play fast, not necessarily because they are fast skaters, but because they make quick decisions. We play like Phil maybe gave them some vague advice about what to do with some buzzwords thrown in. Ted Nolan would be better, because at least he could get his teams to hustle. Phil doesn't even have that going for him.
They can't anticipate the play in Housley's "system". That's a big asset to take away. It's what separates the stars from the average players. Instead of skating and passing to where the play will be, the Sabres skate and pass to where the play already is. The Sabres play like a high school team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad