Malmö, Sweden
Anyone else love this guy?

Namnl-s.png

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Absolutely, I dislike his love ballads and I think "In the Air Tonight" is insanely overplayed, but he has some brilliant songs besides those two factors. Sucks that he recently retired, but the bloke is walking by a cane now so it makes sense.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Absolutely, I dislike his love ballads and I think "In the Air Tonight" is insanely overplayed, but he has some brilliant songs besides those two factors. Sucks that he recently retired, but the bloke is walking by a cane now so it makes sense.
do you like another day in paradise and eazy lover?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
do you like another day in paradise and eazy lover?
Yes, but they're not my favourite. I love me Sussudio, Take Me Home, and I Don't Care Anymore, but he has some amazing Genesis songs as well which totally have his touch such as Mama, Invisible Touch, and Land of Confusion. I do think he is behind Peter Gabriel and David Bowie when it comes to being a solo artist though.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Loved his drumming in Genesis and session work in the 1970s.

Genesis had some good stuff when he took over as singer even into the 1990s.

For those that are too young to remember or weren't born, he really was THAT big in the 1980s when he went solo, right up with Michael Jackson or Madonna as part of the MTV Generation.

His solo work has moments. Generally it's too slick and has that 80s production you'd hear in department stores or pharmacies. That doesn't make it bad of course, just cheesy.

I love Don't Lose That Number. SuSuSudio is really cheesy but has a good groove. I remember Something Happened On The Way To Heaven fondly because they'd loop the intro in the late 80s-early 90s when introducing the starting lineup for the New York Knicks.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Yes, but they're not my favourite. I love me Sussudio, Take Me Home, and I Don't Care Anymore, but he has some amazing Genesis songs as well which totally have his touch such as Mama, Invisible Touch, and Land of Confusion. I do think he is behind Peter Gabriel and David Bowie when it comes to being a solo artist though.

For those who don't know, Phil Collins played drums on this Peter Gabriel track in 1980 as they were still friends. This gave him the idea for the drum sound on In The Air Tonight months later.

Gabriel and his producers used all kinds of samples and ideas in the studio. One was no cymbals on this album and micing the drums from far away with a lot of reverb.

This song is almost like an ancestor of Nine Inch Nails.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
In the Air Tonight is one of those songs you need to listen to every now and then at night alone in your car with a doobie. The mix is just incredible, and the most iconic drum fill of all time. But also sometimes I hate listening to it

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
Wouldn't say I'm a huge fan (I prefer Gabriel) but he has a few good songs like In the Air Tonight, Against All Odds and You'll Be In My Heart

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
This is one of my favorite bits of music writing. It's a bit long but an interesting read and analysis if you're interested in Phil Collins (for good or bad reasons) and it gets into a good look at Collins vs. Gabriel.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Yeah I like Phil Collins...

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch is the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums.

But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Yes, I'm a big Phil Collins fan. Certainly the least cool artist I will admit to liking. I blame my parents, who were huge fans and certainly played it frequently in my youth. I have Phil Collins vinyls they passed down to me lol. Of course I like Genesis too but that's pretty common. My favourite tracks:

Against All Odds
Easy Lover
I Wish It Would Rain Down
Don't Lose My Number
Something Happened On The Way To Heaven
Two Hearts
I Don't Care Anymore

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Loved his drumming in Genesis and session work in the 1970s.

Genesis had some good stuff when he took over as singer even into the 1990s.

For those that are too young to remember or weren't born, he really was THAT big in the 1980s when he went solo, right up with Michael Jackson or Madonna as part of the MTV Generation.

His solo work has moments. Generally it's too slick and has that 80s production you'd hear in department stores or pharmacies. That doesn't make it bad of course, just cheesy.

I love Don't Lose That Number. SuSuSudio is really cheesy but has a good groove. I remember Something Happened On The Way To Heaven fondly because they'd loop the intro in the late 80s-early 90s when introducing the starting lineup for the New York Knicks.

Really is incredible in the image era of 80s MTV that a bald headed grumpy English man had such success.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yeah I’m a fan. I’m probably in the minority but I prefer Genesis after Gabriel left but before they became as commercial. Trick of the Tail is a great album imo and I also like Wind & Wuthering.
I like some of his solo stuff especially his first album and also Easy Lover with Philip Bailey. Some of it is too commercial for my tastes but he had some good ones like Against All Odds and In the Air Tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I am going to date myself here. I saw Genesis in 1983 in Ames Iowa when I was a freshman at ISU and it was a fantastic show and the light show was out of this world. Front row too. Burned in my memory.

Setlist:
Dodo/Lurker
that's All
Mama
Illegal Alien
11th Earl of Mar
Ripples
Squonk
Firth of Fifth
Man on the Corner
Who Dunnit
2nd Home By the Sea
Keep it Dark
It's Gonna Get Better
Follow You Follow Me
In the Cage
The Cinema Show
In that Quiet Earth
The Colony of Slippery Men
Afterglow
Abacab
Drum Duet Solo With Chester
Los Endos Misunderstanding
Turn it On

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I am going to date myself here. I saw Genesis in 1983 in Ames Iowa when I was a freshman at ISU and it was a fantastic show and the light show was out of this world. Front row too. Burned in my memory.

Setlist:
Dodo/Lurker
that's All
Mama
Illegal Alien
11th Earl of Mar
Ripples
Squonk
Firth of Fifth
Man on the Corner
Who Dunnit
2nd Home By the Sea
Keep it Dark
It's Gonna Get Better
Follow You Follow Me
In the Cage
The Cinema Show
In that Quiet Earth
The Colony of Slippery Men
Afterglow
Abacab
Drum Duet Solo With Chester
Los Endos Misunderstanding
Turn it On

Surprised with no "In the Air tonight" as it was released in 1981. I think it's his best song, but as I am not generally a fan of Collins, I haven't listened to all of his songs, so there might be something better in his repertoire.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
No problem saying I am a fan. In the Air Tonight is a bit overrated to me, but his solo stuff and Genesis's post-70s pop work is awesome to me.

The drums in Against All Odds do it for me every time. Perfect.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Surprised with no "In the Air tonight" as it was released in 1981. I think it's his best song, but as I am not generally a fan of Collins, I haven't listened to all of his songs, so there might be something better in his repertoire.
I was too at the time. But they played a lot of older stuff that at the time I didn't really enjoy. Now I do like some.....but would have liked to hear In the Air Tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad