Confirmed with Link: [PHI/WPG] Kevin Hayes UFA rights for a 2019 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Then I'd turn around and give Brassard a one year "show me" deal to buy time for Patrick, Frost and Rubtsov.
This idea that we have to add a 2C is absurd, just some short-term depth to buy time for the kids in LHV to grow up.
what happens of the kids they are waiting for dont pan out like they hope? then what?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Fletcher is a terrible GM, running around wasting picks!

It will definitely not be a good look for Fletch, but I won't be too upset if they lose out on Hayes then trade for a Center with less term..or better yet, sign Duchene.

Reactions: Lotusflower

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
You’re discounting how fertile the situation was when Holmgren took over to an insane degree.

How many GMs take over with 21 y/o centers of Carter & Richards’ caliber?; plus a 19 y/o center Giroux’s caliber; plus a 26 y/o 41 goal scorer (Gagne); plus a 22 yr old 4th overall defenseman coming off 2 40+ pt seasons (your attempt to act like Pitkanen wasn’t considered a blue chip young D with tons of trade value is what is disingenuously “revisionist” here; plus an all-time great center with huge deadline trade value (Forsberg); plus the #2 overall pick (you’re unfairly acting like an 18 y/o JVR (who is now a $7M player) isn’t a good asset); PLUS the money to sign Timonen, Briere, Hartnell & Biron ????

And you think that’s “morbid”??? That’s an existing framework for one of the best young cores in the league.

Yes, I do, because that's just stuff. That isn't a team. Carter and Richards were a decent head start, Gagne was a great player, Forsberg had trade value, they sucked their way to the right to wait 3 years for JVR to become an NHL player. Pitkanen was good and might've had "value" but he alone wasn't a defense. Cool.

They had cap space back when EVERYBODY had cap space: The cap in 2005 was $39 million. It was $44m the next year and $50.3 million for Homer's big offseason. That's a 28% increase in two seasons, literally the same percentage shift as if the cap went up to $90 million this summer and $103 million in 2020.

Plus, most of the veteran guys who signed right after the new CBA only locked in for one or two years because of that uncertainty. So everyone had multiple expiring contracts PLUS 14% more cap that summer. It's not like there'd been some brilliant cap management that put them there, basically everyone but the Red Wings and Devils had money to work with in summer 2007. That's why there were such intense bidding wars for Briere/Drury/Gomez, and what really kickstarted the price escalation to current levels. If everyone had $10+ million more to work with this summer, c'mon.

This is the 2006-07 roster. There is no debate. It was one of the oldest teams in the league entering that season and it wasn't any good. That team was trash, and there was no future coming to help. Here's all their draft picks in their history. Look at the years proceeding 2006: Giroux, Downie, and then basically nothing of use that wasn't in the league or already traded away by Clarke.

You can dislike Holmgren, he sure as hell gave plenty reason. But acting like he walked into a great and "fertile" situation is silly. He didn't. The franchise was an absolute mess. Compare that to today.

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
It will definitely not be a good look for Fletch, but I won't be too upset if they lose out on Hayes then trade for a Center with less term..or better yet, sign Duchene.

My comment was much more tongue in cheek. after this draft, well have drafted something like 46 players in the last 5 drafts. Im perfectly ok with losing a 5th if it meant taking a stab at signing someone - and i was lukewarm at best to wanting Hayes to begin with.

Reactions: WestrnPhlyr

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
i don't care if this team wants to throw money at players, but by god throw it at good players. getting into a bidding war over Hayes would be a huge mistake. i mean sure, if you can get him at a reasonable cost, fine. but that doesn't look like it's gonna happen. he's gonna get an ugly contract. so many teams need C's and he's the 2nd best available. if he won't take 5x5.5 or 4x6 then say bye and go the trade route. it's not like this team doesn't have a gazillion prospects and picks it can use to get a decent middle 6 C with a year or two left on their contracts.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
It will definitely not be a good look for Fletch, but I won't be too upset.
Me neither. The more embarrassment to the Flyers management staff the better. Either Fletcher is going to create a contender or the entire management team will be flushed. It’s a win win.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually, trading for Hayes makes sense, if Duchene is focus on Nashville or Montreal, Hayes is the only other center worth an overpay from the Flyer's perspective, otherwise it's either someone like Brassard or a trade.

By getting Hayes' rights, Fletcher gets a couple weeks to hammer out a deal, or go into free agency focused on plan "B" without wasting time pursuing Hayes only to be rejected and missing out on other opportunities.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
k3cFCR8.jpg

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I am watching. And if they had competent coaching and goal tending no they wouldn’t.

Also they arent close to the finals. This team is being built to last for a while. Not one and done. Or a least it was.

They definitely needed coaching and goaltending first and foremost, the coach has been addressed and the goaltending will be as good as Hart can handle at his age.

But I do think they need a refresh. I think there also needs to be a small injection of new veteran talent alongside the upcoming young skill that's been filtering in over the years. New voices and perspectives to inspire and push the existing leadership bloc, and frankly a deal to perhaps put people on notice re: consistency and output. Coaching and preparation is mostly to blame for the last few years, but there were still execution deficiencies from a few veteran or near-veteran players that hurt the team and that rest on their shoulders.

It's good to keep people on their toes, and it might be nice to add a guy or two who has actually seen real NHL success (as in, played on a team that saw more than two playoff series in the last 5 years) to remind folks what the hell it takes.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
How much did it bother you to see the Caps outhit the Canes, and completely outdo them physically, only to lose because the Canes ignored it and focused obsessively on puck possession instead of physicality for its own sake?
Caps won the cup and Carolina popped them right back. Can't win it all every year beef but least the caps are fun to watch.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I am watching. And if they had competent coaching and goal tending no they wouldn’t.

Also they arent close to the finals. This team is being built to last for a while. Not one and done. Or a least it was.
Better hurry before the core is to old to do shit. The makeup of the team isn't great right now but well get there.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
They definitely needed coaching and goaltending first and foremost, the coach has been addressed and the goaltending will be as good as Hart can handle at his age.

But I do think they need a refresh. I think there also needs to be a small injection of new veteran talent alongside the upcoming young skill that's been filtering in over the years. New voices and perspectives to inspire and push the existing leadership bloc, and frankly a deal to perhaps put people on notice re: consistency and output. Coaching and preparation is mostly to blame for the last few years, but there were still execution deficiencies from a few veteran or near-veteran players that hurt the team. It's good to keep people on their toes.
Don’t disagree completely. But most of the execution errors were bad vets playing above their head. And the coach trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

When you coach can’t see talent and use players to their strengths but focus only on weaknesses your going to get wildly inconsistent play from said players.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Last regime definitely set the table nicely for Fletch.
The hardest thing to do in the NHL is build a young defense.
You have to find your guys and have the patience to develop them.
If Holms wouldve had the foresight to start building the backend thru the draft to replace Kimmo/Pronger around 2010 the retool wouldnt have turned into a full on rebuild the way it has.

My issue has always been with the last regime into this new one is that we seem obsessed with the same kind of 2-way forward when highend infusions of impact in whatever skill distribution are whats needed

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Fletch spent the 5th to get Scott off his back. If he doesn't sign, Fletch can say "I tried"! ... or maybe not

Reactions: PhlthyRich

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Seriously not sure if you’re just trolling.

The make up of this team is fine. It has been coached to play passive lifeless hockey since hakstol got here.
I agree with coaching but the player has to have intensity in them and a lot don't on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad