Confirmed with Link: [PHI/WPG] Kevin Hayes UFA rights for a 2019 5th, pt II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
That sentence wasn't serious. :laugh: Guess I should've made that more clear.

I'm fully aware of how badly he was misused and have defended him any times, despite being clear that I'm not as hopeful about him as others. Last year proved nothing either way, since he never had a legit shot to do anything before being shoved down the lineup in favor of AHL scrubs.

Ok, I thought you had lost your mind.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Yeah, I'm not going to search for that thread.

I mean, Hextall was always (rightfully) criticized for being obsessed with two-way players. But I doubt anyone would've been mad at him if he added a top 3 two-way center in the league.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
It will be fun when people are bitching and moaning about whatever desperation aquisition is made and their contract 3 years from now, and we can go back to this thread for material

Someone might be back to trolling the main boards by then, though.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia

I mean, Hextall was always (rightfully) criticized for being obsessed with two-way players. But I doubt anyone would've been mad at him if he added a top 3 two-way center in the league.

I was not in favor of that at the time but looking back at the cost and how certain things have panned out since then it certainly would have been a solid move assuming a similar price

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think most level headed people can understand Fletch wanting to "help" the team immediately, instead of sitting and waiting.

We have Giroux playing at a high end scorers still. Jake is up and down but still has PPG capability. Couts is playing great AND is grossly underpaid for this type of production/play.

So you can see why Fletch wants to try and take advantage of this along with the cheaper RFA contracts by trying to add to now. It takes pressure off the kids to not be in positions they are not ready for all while taking advantage of the things I listed.

As I said before, let's worry about having TOO MANY top 6 players playing in our top 9, when that day occurs. It is possible to make a trade in 2 years. Plus, we know expansion is taking 1 player, so get out ahead of it and add now.

But in saying that, I don't move Farabee, Frost or Myers because those A assets are needed and more importantly, are closer to helping us. I 100% can see #11 being in play for Trouba if he is willing to re-sign. But no more A assets. The next asset being added to it would be Ratcliffe or below....not the 3 guys I mentioned. If Stone only fetched 1 A asset, Trouba should not fetch 2.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I 100% can see #11 being in play for Trouba if he is willing to re-sign. But no more A assets. The next asset being added to it would be Ratcliffe or below....not the 3 guys I mentioned. If Stone only fetched 1 A asset, Trouba should not fetch 2.

I can't. A one year rental isn't worth #11.
And Trouba wants to be paid like a #1 D-man, not first pair, which would probably mean 8x8.5+M if you traded for him.

I'm not paying top dollar for the privilege of a gross overpay - unless an extension is prearranged is at a reasonable price that you can live with, I wouldn't even consider it.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

I guess he wasn't as obsessed with two-way players as the Blues GM, or he would have offered a better deal for ROR.

But the Flyers top 6 is still stuffed full of two-way grinders that Hextall signed or drafted like Voracek, JVR, Konency and Patrick. Sad.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think character concerns were a big part of the equation when it came to Hextall steering clear of O'Reilly. I probably bought into stay away from him, he didn't have a good run in any of the three years in Buffalo, you could make the case he was declining. But then again, it was Buffalo and everyone was miserable. Hextall may have been more apt to pull the trigger if he thought his ass was on the line, because Doug Armstrong surely knew his was.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Buffalo wanted a top prospect, they would not have been interested in Laughton, sent back to the AHL at age 22. Who else would have qualified? TK, Sanheim, maybe Myers, not even Lindblom last summer.

So exactly how was Hextall supposed to put a package together without giving up a prize prospect?

And the two players St Louis included were more than salary dumps, Bergland at 29 had 26 points in 57 games, Sobotka at 30 had 31 points in 81 games.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Buffalo wanted a top prospect, they would not have been interested in Laughton, sent back to the AHL at age 22. Who else would have qualified? TK, Sanheim, maybe Myers, not even Lindblom last summer.

So exactly how was Hextall supposed to put a package together without giving up a prize prospect?

NAK. A year ago you downplayed the ROR trade, saying it would have cost us a prospect like NAK.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think most level headed people can understand Fletch wanting to "help" the team immediately, instead of sitting and waiting.

We have Giroux playing at a high end scorers still. Jake is up and down but still has PPG capability. Couts is playing great AND is grossly underpaid for this type of production/play.

So you can see why Fletch wants to try and take advantage of this along with the cheaper RFA contracts by trying to add to now. It takes pressure off the kids to not be in positions they are not ready for all while taking advantage of the things I listed.

As I said before, let's worry about having TOO MANY top 6 players playing in our top 9, when that day occurs. It is possible to make a trade in 2 years. Plus, we know expansion is taking 1 player, so get out ahead of it and add now.

But in saying that, I don't move Farabee, Frost or Myers because those A assets are needed and more importantly, are closer to helping us. I 100% can see #11 being in play for Trouba if he is willing to re-sign. But no more A assets. The next asset being added to it would be Ratcliffe or below....not the 3 guys I mentioned. If Stone only fetched 1 A asset, Trouba should not fetch 2.

Yep. We should be going all in these next 3 years. They are likely Girouxs last 3 elite years, the last 3 years of Coots bargain contract, ELCs expiring, etc.

Lets f***ing get after it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yep. We should be going all in these next 3 years. They are likely Girouxs last 3 elite years, the last 3 years of Coots bargain contract, ELCs expiring, etc.

Lets ****ing get after it.
Yup. And that doesn't mean throw every top asset we have away....because that is how some will spin this. It means we don't HAVE to wait anymore. Make our team better. HELP the vets. HELP the kids. If Hayes signes, I do still leave that last top 9 spot open for Frost to go after bumping Hartman down. Adding another good Dman bumps Hagg, Morin and AMac out of the top 6. I have no issue with Morin starting as the #7. Injuries will happen. Trade Hagg. Demote AMac.

Reactions: kyuss
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->