Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Travis Konecny re-signs with Flyers (6 years, $5.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Ya that's exactly what I said when he signed, I said it was a good contract if he didn't improve, with the potential to be a steal, and basically was taken as **** talking Konecny. This isn't a problem with TC or Flyers fans but hfboards as a hole, every contract has to be a steal or an overpayment the second the ink dries. The reality is they're usually closer to fair value with projection going on, both teams signed it for a reason. Today, it's a steal.
Not exactly. You played down the value of this contract when TK signed, when it was compared to the RFA precedent Marner overpayment. Like it or not RFA contracts are often compared to other RFA contracts. It's not hard to look up what you posted earlier in this thread. I recall since you replied to me. Just fair value you said. Though your post is certainly not the worst in here in terms of aging. It didn't age well also. As some of us said the TK signing was a great from the start with the potential to be a steal later on. And right now it is. You were not one of them that called it a great deal.

Confirmed Signing with Link: - [PHI] Travis Konecny re-signs with Flyers (6 years, $5.5M AAV)

Reactions: hmc1987

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
2016-17 14:05 TOI/GP
2017-18 14:54 TOI/GP
2018-19 15:16 TOI/GP
2019-20 16:33 TOI/GP

This illustrates why TK's contract had a lot of hidden value to it when he signed this summer. Look at the ice time he got his first 3 years in Philly. Still only at 16:33 average, but those that knew the talent of the player, knew with more usage, he would make this contract look outstanding.

Give Hextall credit trading up to get TK in the 2015 draft. Looks like a steal in more than 1 way.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

This illustrates why TK's contract had a lot of hidden value to it when he signed this summer. Look at the ice time he got his first 3 years in Philly. Still only at 16:33 average, but those that knew the talent of the player, knew with more usage, he would make this contract look outstanding.

Give Hextall credit trading up to get TK in the 2015 draft. Looks like a steal in more than 1 way.
In case anyone didnt know; give Hextall credit for getting him for what turned out to be Bracco and Dermott. Just in case you guys didnt know. Did you guys know the Leafs were involved? Asking for a friend.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Well I wouldn't go that far but you're welcome to think that. Fair contract though, as said it's pretty much fair value based on what he brings and likely to look better as he develops, but if we're talking about what he's already done to earn it well I think the player should be fairly happy with the figure as well.

turns out he was right.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I said early in the thread that TK's points wouldn't take a big jump up unless the 2nd PP unit started producing way more than before.

Well now, they totally re-arranged the PP and while it has hurt Giroux, Jake and Ghost, it has benefitted TK.

TK has 11 PP points this year already in 32 games. The last 3 years, he had 8, 3 and 4 PP points at season end.

But he has also upped his ES play....12th in RW in ES goals, 9th in ES points for RW. OH SHIT......he is only 34th for RW for TOI so he CAN'T be a 1st liner. Shit...Voracek is 32nd in TOI for RW's. So does that mean the Flyers have ZERO 1st line Rw's even though they have one that is a PPG player? Bizarro world.

Reactions: hmc1987

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
That’s a great point. Leafs wanted Bracco and dermott instead of Konecny. LOL. A move that was heavily criticized then. And looks worse and worse with each passing day

Leafs wanted a D after drafting Marner early and traded back because they didnt like the options at the end of the 1st. Apparently they picked Dermott over Aho for the same reason and had the Leafs selected a D with their first they wouldve selected Aho, not Konecny, with their second 1st.

Considering Dermott is the best D drafted between Chabot and pick #34, they made the right pick but their strategy was off. Another example why you go best player available rather than drafting for position.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Leafs wanted a D after drafting Marner early and traded back because they didnt like the options at the end of the 1st. Apparently they picked Dermott over Aho for the same reason and had the Leafs selected a D with their first they wouldve selected Aho, not Konecny, with their second 1st.

Considering Dermott is the best D drafted between Chabot and pick #34, they made the right pick but their strategy was off. Another example why you go best player available rather than drafting for position.
Yup, everyone got what they wanted.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Brandon Carlo went 3 picks later and Vince Dunn also went in the 2nd rd was a D man in the Blues Cup win. Dermott was not the best D man picked after Chabot.

Reactions: Go Wings

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Brandon Carlo went 3 picks later and Vince Dunn also went in the 2nd rd was a D man in the Blues Cup win. Dermott was not the best D man picked after Chabot.
I was going to say. You would think a leaf fan of all people would have heard of Stanley Cup Champion Vince Dunn, or Boston Bruins defensive standout Brandon Carlo? Both guys are inarguably much superior defenceman than dermott

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Quite the expensive contract. And it's a tiny sample size. And considering there was tons of indicators prior to signing it, that it would be a good deal, seems like Kony isn't off to the worst start ever, the kid can be a killer at times. No bracco, but he's alright. Flyers fans definitely over-hype their guys though to insane degrees. Like saying that their defense is an absolute trash heap when people are saying how great of a start they are off to, based on, amongst other things, Brandon Manning's point production (which was high at the time, along with the rest of the awful d group). That was weird. They criticized some guys more than other fan bases. I guess it was to trick people into thinking they didn't insanely pump their prospects (needed to counter balance the crazy homer claims that Provorov was nhl ready his first season)

They had the audacity to be split between a few being very high on couts, some seeing him as a good 2c, and some seeing him as an elite 3C with not much offense.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Quite the expensive contract. And it's a tiny sample size. And considering there was tons of indicators prior to signing it, that it would be a good deal, seems like Kony isn't off to the worst start ever, the kid can be a killer at times. No bracco, but he's alright. Flyers fans definitely over-hype their guys though to insane degrees. Like saying that their defense is an absolute trash heap when people are saying how great of a start they are off to, based on, amongst other things, Brandon Manning's point production (which was high at the time, along with the rest of the awful d group). That was weird. They criticized some guys more than other fan bases. I guess it was to trick people into thinking they didn't insanely pump their prospects (needed to counter balance the crazy homer claims that Provorov was nhl ready his first season)

They had the audacity to be split between a few being very high on couts, some seeing him as a good 2c, and some seeing him as an elite 3C with not much offense.

We appreciate the free rent.

a7CVDhiQvVGMg.gif

Tank To Win

Apr 8, 2010
Northampton, Pa

Huh???

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA

I read this twice. Too confusing to read again.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Time for an update on this non 1st liner...stolen from Appleyard the Flyers boards:

"He has been one of the most productive goalscoring wingers in the league over the last few years 5v5. Ofc a few Cs have scored at a higher rate. (McDavid, Matthews, Tavares, MacKinnon)

but TK is 14th overall in G/60 in the NHL over that time(over 2.5 year sample size) Scores more goals per minute than Draisaitl, Pettersson, Connor, Laine, Stamkos, Schiefele and Eichel...

I mean, even in terms of just raw goals... he has 52 5v5 goals since the start of 2017-18. That is 15th most in the NHL. More than Connor, Laine, Eichel, Stamkos, Schiefele..."

Oh, and TK is 4th in TOI at ES/game, 5th in total TOI/game on the Flyers....so still not a 1st liner.

Last edited:
Reactions: flyersfan187

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Time for an update on this non 1st liner...stolen from Appleyard the Flyers boards:

"He has been one of the most productive goalscoring wingers in the league over the last few years 5v5. Ofc a few Cs have scored at a higher rate. (McDavid, Matthews, Tavares, MacKinnon)

but TK is 14th overall in G/60 in the NHL over that time(over 2.5 year sample size) Scores more goals per minute than Draisaitl, Pettersson, Connor, Laine, Stamkos, Schiefele and Eichel...

I mean, even in terms of just raw goals... he has 52 5v5 goals since the start of 2017-18. That is 15th most in the NHL. More than Connor, Laine, Eichel, Stamkos, Schiefele..."

Edit: I see that list is only wingers now whoops

Konecny has been doing great though and should be a good value contract.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

you do realize that by moving up in the draft he gave up assets and missed out on aho right?

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
you do realize that by moving up in the draft he gave up assets and missed out on aho right?
Yep... and every team before 35 probably could have selected him as well.. besides a specific few who weren’t taking anyone else regardless.

I don’t get this argument ever? Plenty of teams passed on Aho but your argument is the team that traded up for a top 6 player made the mistake of not drafting him? Seems strange.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Yep... and every team before 35 probably could have selected him as well.. besides a specific few who weren’t taking anyone else regardless.

I don’t get this argument ever? Plenty of teams passed on Aho but your argument is the team that traded up for a top 6 player made the mistake of not drafting him? Seems strange.

no the point is discuss the player. Every team who drafted between rantanen and aho missed.

some missed smalll some missed big. At the end of the day I don’t understand why every thread has to have the leafs dragged into it. Then people complain about Toronto fans. It’s dumb

Edit. I just saw a Stan lee avatar. TWS is the most leaf obsessed poster. Never mind.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

And while york has top 4 defensive pairing potential and it is not an awful pick, I still get mad the flyers picked the D position and the physical features over caufield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad