Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Jordan Weal (1 year, 650k)

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
He's got a little something, i'd like to see him get a chance this year. Top player for the Phantoms otherwise.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Ok deal for the Flyers getting Weal at 650k at 1 year. Didn't think Weal was worth anything over 700k.
Jordan Weal has 1 year to prove his worth with the Flyers, or in the AHL with the Phantoms.
Weal would be better served by starting the season with the Phantoms especially since the flyers signed Roman Lyubimov to a 1 year 2-way ELC.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
An AHL player won't make $200K for all 10 of those years. Even if they did, that's not enough money to retire a family on.

200k for 10 years is like making 50k a year for 40 years*, which is certainly enough to retire a family on.

*Yes, technically the tax doesn't work out quite the same, it would be closer to ~40-45k for 40 years depending on retirement fund contributions, but you also get the chance to invest your money and have returns compounded and you get to avoid paying much in terms of mortgage interest. Pros and cons.

wesott11

May 13, 2009
huntington beach,CA
200k for 10 years is like making 50k a year for 40 years*, which is certainly enough to retire a family on.

*Yes, technically the tax doesn't work out quite the same, it would be closer to ~40-45k for 40 years depending on retirement fund contributions, but you also get the chance to invest your money and have returns compounded and you get to avoid paying much in terms of mortgage interest. Pros and cons.

Also depends on where he lives/where he plans to retire. 50k a year where I live will get you squat. But either way, if high end AHL players save/invest wise during their hockey career they get a great jump towards a great retirement.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Not even close to true. In your scenario, you have income for 40 years. Assuming you enter the workforce at age 20, that means you don't need to start using your retirement funds until age 60. You only have to live off your retirement funds for about 20 years or so, and you shouldn't have to pay for your kids during that span.

In the AHL player scenario, they have to start living off their retirement funds at age 30. They have to live off of them for about 50 years, including a decent chunk of that while they have kids under their roof.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Sounds like dying alone by age forty is the way to go if you want to live comfortably after retiring from the AHL.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I remember him being pretty highly touted by Kings fans.

Another of a long line of undersized busts by them - Brandon Kozun, George 'Bud' Holloway, Oscar Moller, Justin Azevedo. It's fine where they were picked but the hype/hope was overly optimistic.

I feel the same way about the overagers the Leafs just picked.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Another of a long line of undersized busts by them - Brandon Kozun, George 'Bud' Holloway, Oscar Moller, Justin Azevedo. It's fine where they were picked but the hype/hope was overly optimistic.

I feel the same way about the overagers the Leafs just picked.

Holloway is 6', 200 lbs...not really "undersized".

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Not even close to true. In your scenario, you have income for 40 years.

Uh... what? How does this matter in terms of raw $?

$10 a day, every day for a week is the same amount of money as $70 on Sunday. It may take a lot more self control and restraint to not blow that $70 immediately, but it doesn't change the amount of money, which is my point.

Assuming you enter the workforce at age 20, that means you don't need to start using your retirement funds until age 60. You only have to live off your retirement funds for about 20 years or so, and you shouldn't have to pay for your kids during that span.

It's irrelevant when you get the money. The salaried worker at 50k/year for 40 years ends up with the same amount of money in his account as the 200k/year for 10 year AHL player*.

*Again, ignoring tax differences and ignoring the potential for massive compounded investment returns.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
With the Flyers sending a slew of players to the World Cup, Weal will get a chance to prove himself in preseason. If he doesn't produce, he will end up in the AHL with what should be a very good Phantoms squad.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Uh... what? How does this matter in terms of raw $?

$10 a day, every day for a week is the same amount of money as $70 on Sunday. It may take a lot more self control and restraint to not blow that $70 immediately, but it doesn't change the amount of money, which is my point.

It's irrelevant when you get the money. The salaried worker at 50k/year for 40 years ends up with the same amount of money in his account as the 200k/year for 10 year AHL player*.

*Again, ignoring tax differences and ignoring the potential for massive compounded investment returns.

Let me spell this out again for you.

In your scenario (40 year career), your retirement savings only have to pay for about 20 years of retirement (say, ages 65-85).
In the AHL player scenario, retirement savings have to pay for about 50 years of retirement (say, ages 35-85).

The raw amount you need to save for a 20 year retirement is LESS than the raw amount you need to save for a 50 year retirement. That should be painfully obvious to anyone.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->