Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] F Ryan Poehling signs extension with the Flyers (2 years, $1.9M AAV)

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
At a reasonable price, this makes a good bit of sense. Poehling's been the best of our fourth liners this year, to the point where he's the one who plays up when someone's out, so I'm happy to see him get some security.

Edit: $1.9? A bit higher than I was hoping for, but within what I'd consider acceptable. Yeah, that works.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Don’t mind this at all. Like his flexibility in bottom 6 and if he somehow develops more then great

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Was decent with the Pens but kept getting injured. He's only just 25 so there might be a 15 goal 30 point player in there.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
That whole 2017 draft was pretty meh after top few... where the heck is Comtois these days?

AHL with the wolves(The only team that isn't affiliated with an NHL team). Now that the speculation that nobody shall speculate about has been speculated he might be able to land an NHL contract since he seemingly wasn't involved.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Makes sense. He's a pretty solid depth player. Still not altogether sure why the Penguins moved on from him, other than being irrationally afraid of a potential arb award i guess? But anyway...fair enough price for a decent bottom-6 filler with some size and positional/role flexibility.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
what a terrible draft for the Habs that year, but glad Poehling has been able to stick in the NHL.
I feel like the Habs kinda botched Poehling's development a bit there, especially his first pro year when he got injured in the preseason and then when he came back the management kept forcing him into the lineup. It took them half a season to figure he was nowhere near ready for the NHL. Good on him to find a steady job in the league, I liked him as a prospect and I liked him in his final year with the Habs.

Reactions: montreal

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
He’s played well, and because of where they’re at within their cap structure, the $1.9 isn’t going to kill them, if he falls off the map. During their current slide, he’s actually been one of their better players in a couple of games.

Teams who aren’t in cap hell, can get away with these deals. Unfortunately, too many teams can’t, and that’s something the NHLPA has to address in the next CBA.

There’s too many good hockey players getting the short end of the stick anymore. Literally nobody is complaining about this deal 5 years ago. Today, if he signed this deal in Edmonton or TO, fans would be going nuts.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Liked him as the season progressed with the Pens felt like there was more untapped potential and wanted to see him back.

Good for him

Reactions: hn777

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
He’s played well, and because of where they’re at within their cap structure, the $1.9 isn’t going to kill them, if he falls off the map. During their current slide, he’s actually been one of their better players in a couple of games.

Teams who aren’t in cap hell, can get away with these deals. Unfortunately, too many teams can’t, and that’s something the NHLPA has to address in the next CBA.

There’s too many good hockey players getting the short end of the stick anymore. Literally nobody is complaining about this deal 5 years ago. Today, if he signed this deal in Edmonton or TO, fans would be going nuts.
I guess some teams need to learn to manage their cap.
The cap needs fixing as to make it fair for all teams. Cap should be counted on clear not gross pay. Want equality? Make it equal for all.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Good frame and good speed... If only he could be physical. He might still be in Montreal.
Not a bad deal, good for him.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Good for him. Nobody can take away his 3 goals in his first NHL game!
It's just a bit of a shame that the highlight of his NHL career is likely to be his first game. The guy has the tools to be a much bigger contributor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad