Confirmed Trade: [PHI/EDM] Cooper Marody for 2019 3rd round

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Rewind that for a second......did you just compare Karlsson to Marody....lets not get ahead of ourselves here. I understand the logic your trying to get across, but let's just keep it at 3rd round pick for 6th round pick. Let's not go the extremes to get your point across.
Nah the point was Chia did not acquire a 6th round pick, Chia acquired a known commodity.

The comparison was that if you look at a 4thOA for 15thOA deal on paper, it's terrible, but when you look at the actual players, and you have known commodities, it no longer is terrible.

Last edited:
Reactions: THall4

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
EDM is gonna need some NHL ready ELC talent next year when McDavid's raise kicks in. I bet that's the motivation behind this trade. I'd be interested to know whether this player wouldn't sign with PHI, so they shopped his rights, or if EDM initiated the trade because they are okay with possibly overpaying for a guy they think could step in on their 4th line next season on an ELC.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
To be fair also to those Flyers fans saying he was 11-13 best forward prospect in the system - you guys do have an incredibly deep and talented system up front.

I also find that most prospect bases tend to underestimate non-blue chip NCAA prospects. To frame it another way, every year people get geeked out if their team signs a highly-sought NCAA fee agent. True, in part that is because it is basically “found money” but I also think being a free agent focuses more attention that a really nice drafted college prospect buried in a deep system might not receive unless they make the WJC team or something. And you better believe if Marody were a free agent that he’d be getting plenty of hype and attention as the leading scorer and creative force on a big time program like UM.

None of that is to take away from what the Flyers have done. It was a great draft pick from great scouting and it’s a great move to clear the decks a bit and grab a really nice future asset. So nothing but kudos for what Philly has done here.

Very true. If he was a UFA right now and the Oilers signed him to an ELC people would be taking about how they basically got a free 2nd/3rd rounded much like they did with Caggulia and the Flames did with Foo last year. So giving up a 3rd in 2019 should be seen as a decent deal.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
EDM is gonna need some NHL ready ELC talent next year when McDavid's raise kicks in. I bet that's the motivation behind this trade. I'd be interested to know whether this player wouldn't sign with PHI, so they shopped his rights, or if EDM initiated the trade because they are okay with possibly overpaying for a guy they think could step in on their 4th line next season on an ELC.
If he steps in and plays regularly on the 4th line at any point then giving up a 3rd rounder a year from now isn't an overpayment at all.

4Flames

Sep 2, 2015
Canada
Seems like a good trade for both teams, as he probably wasn't going to sign in Philly. Edmonton gets a young forward and the Flyers get a draft pick for someone they would lose for nothing otherwise.

Reactions: THall4

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
If I was an Oiler fan, I would not like this, Chia has proven to have no clue when it come to talent......
He could had used this pick as a basis to get a better prospect, like that Florida kid? :eek:
Actually your wrong...as big an idiot of a GM Chia is...his drafting record is quite solid so far.

I don't get why people are bashing this move....The Oilers lack prospects within Marody's age range that a becoming pro...take a look at Bakersfield's roster..
That 3rd round pick would be turning pro until atleast 2021...

Chai doesn't have my trust and doesn't deserve a lot of praise..but this is a move I'm happy with.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
22 year old 6'0 190lb center. Put up 19 goals and 45 assists for 64 points in 58 games in his rookie season in Bako.

Hoping he can become a good 3rd liner for us. Seems like a pretty damn good trade rn, especially by Peter Chia standards.

Reactions: WIOiler and MikeFLB

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
22 year old 6'0 190lb center. Put up 19 goals and 45 assists for 64 points in 58 games in his rookie season in Bako.

Hoping he can become a good 3rd liner for us. Seems like a pretty damn good trade rn, especially by Peter Chia standards.
And for Philly, he never gets that chance so it's a win-win.

Giroux Couts TK
Lindblom Patrick Voracek
JVR Frost Farabee
Raffl Laughton Hartman

Aube-Kubel, Ratcliffe, Allison, Laczynski, O'Brien, Vorobyev, Rubstov, Kase, Bunnaman, Cates, Strome, Laberge, Sushko, Strome.

Reality is, the Flyers likely will be doing more of these deals because there is not near enough spots for all the kids. Especially since the Flyers also have 10 more draft picks this coming draft...so will likely be adding another 5ish forwards to that above group.

But that's ok as it will keep the pipeline of kids coming. So instead of a Marody getting buried this coming year, you take a chance on a prospect who could be ready in 3-4 years.

Reactions: 780il

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
^^^ yep. Good, fair trade at the time, good, fair trade today.

+1

Oilers are full of D prospects and need forward prospects who are closer to the NHL. Marody was a big part of the AHL team success (17 game win streak) and hope he leads them deep in the Calder Cup playoffs.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Yeah I agree with all the above. Marody got the chance because Edmontons bottom 6 is disgusting but he actually didn't look too bad. Could be a player there, worked out for everyone.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->