Confirmed Trade: [PHI/EDM] Cooper Marody for 2019 3rd round

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
eh man, im just under the assumption a 3rd and a player in the offseason simply nets you a better player just asset management man, not trades for the sake of trading for career college players. Scouting report or not.

I'd be interested in hearing what exactly you mean by "career college players". Examples would also be useful.

Last edited:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Good move by the Oilers. Solid prospect. Now hopefully he doesn’t go to free agency...

I'm guessing the Oilers want to sign him now, whereas the Flyers weren't ready to sign him and would run the risk of losing him to free agency.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
As it should. The fact that prospects improve and circumstances change appear to be lost on that poster.

I’m assuming he’d be fine with a low 2nd for Ethan Bear too - after all he was a 5th round pick.

Understanding I may come across as a bit negative and not logical based on my post. However I refuse to trust Chia until he can prove to build a proper team around 97 and 29. Im all for it if the prospect works out.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
love seeing the post deadline deals. It'd be awesome to have a blockbuster trade happen after for a team just trying to get in.

Marody for a 3rd sounds good to me. As @Tripod has outlined, he was buried, so should be a good move for him as well.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Understanding I may come across as a bit negative and not logical based on my post. However I refuse to trust Chia until he can prove to build a proper team around 97 and 29. Im all for it if the prospect works out.

I totally get not being confident in Chiarelli at this point, but you have to admit most of his smaller deals have panned out pretty well. It’s when he gets high value assets involved that he gets the yips.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
I'm guessing the Oilers want to sign him now, whereas the Flyers weren't ready to sign him and would run the risk of losing him to free agency.
Definitely a possibility and that's what I'm hoping is the case :)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Or maybe Hextall approached him about signing and Marody saw the logjam of better prospects and said no. Who knows.

In the end, I think this deal is best for Marody and for the Flyers. He gets a chance on a team with less prospect depth. Philly gets 3rd rd value from their 6th rd pick and re-invests it back into the future.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
He is the lead signer of this amazing band;

(other guys are Josh Norris, Quinn Hughes, Niko Porikos and Dakota Raabe)
He actually is passionate about music, he has some few music clips on Youtube, signing with his guitar.

Marody seems like a nice locker room guy. From the few clips I caught of him, he has nice offensive tools, good offensive IQ/passing abilities, great hands, decent wrister as well, nothing that will blow you out of your mind though, lack a bit of skating ability for a player his size, could develop into a middle6F, might only be a good AHL player though.

Btw, he missed half of last year, but it wasn't because of injury, he had some problems with his University courses, not sure if it was because of his grades.

3rd rounder is fair value imo.

Last edited:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Or maybe Hextall approached him about signing and Marody saw the logjam of better prospects and said no. Who knows.

In the end, I think this deal is best for Marody and for the Flyers. He gets a chance on a team with less prospect depth. Philly gets 3rd rd value from their 6th rd pick and re-invests it back into the future.

Also equally plausible. Seems like a good deal for everyone.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Btw, he missed half of last year, but it wasn't because of injury, he had some problems with his University courses, not sure if it was because of his grades.

The public line given was that he was ruled academically ineligible due to issues stemming from having mono his Freshman year.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Has some good numbers at Michigan since he was drafted, upwards projection. Does that mean he's improved his stock from a 6th rounder to a 3rd? I have no idea.

I guess Chia sees him as a kid that can help the team sooner than later but still has a lot of control.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Has some good numbers at Michigan since he was drafted, upwards projection. Does that mean he's improved his stock from a 6th rounder to a 3rd? I have no idea.

I guess Chia sees him as a kid that can help the team sooner than later but still has a lot of control.

He's definitely worth more than a 6th. Looking at his numbers he should at the very least have a good professional career whereas plenty of 6th rounders wont get further than Major Junior/College hockey.

Reactions: Tripod

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He is the lead signer of this amazing band;

(other guys are Josh Norris, Quinn Hughes, Niko Porikos and Dakota Raabe)
He actually is passionate about music, he has some few music clips on Youtube, signing with his guitar.

Marody seems like a nice locker room guy. From the few clips I caught of him, he has nice offensive tools, good offensive IQ/passing abilities, great hands, decent wrister as well, nothing that will blow you out of your mind though, lack a bit of skating ability for a player his size, could develop into a middle6F, might only be a good AHL player though.

3rd rounder is fair value imo.

Concerned by his skating:
All the scouting reports seem to say he is a great skater.

"When you thought he could not get much faster than he already was, he somehow manages to find a high gear and is making good use of it when generating creating for others in the offensive zone."

"Speed is the number one asset Marody brings to the table. Marody is a blazing skater that can stretch the ice and put pressure on the opposing defense."

"He’s praised most for his above average skating, his creativity, and play-making. "

"He displays tremendous speed and acceleration, and uses his speed to take the puck wide and create chances from the outside as well as the inside."

"He's a great skater who gets after it and uses his speed to wreak havoc on the opposition, especially on the forecheck, and it's easily his most distinguishable trait."

They can't all be wrong, can they?

As for him having schooling issues: he had mono and missed a bunch of school because he was very sick. He wasn't allowed to play because he had missed so much school from having mono.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Good move by the Oilers. Solid prospect. Now hopefully he doesn’t go to free agency...
the fact that the Oilers have spent the effort and the pick to bring him in will give them the edge in signing him. So, I think this is a good move.

The Oilers will need a right shot center too, so I'm sure he'll realize that it is a good fit.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Lol, Chiarelli trades a 3rd for a 6th essentially. Chiarelli just loves getting bent. Is this guy for real ? Chiarelli was asked for a reason to trade the 3rd. His response.
chiarellishrug.jpg

search
If he traded Puljujarvi for Karlsson would you be in here saying LOL 4th overall for 15th overall, what a bum!

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Concerned by his skating:
All the scouting reports seem to say he is a great skater.

"When you thought he could not get much faster than he already was, he somehow manages to find a high gear and is making good use of it when generating creating for others in the offensive zone."

"Speed is the number one asset Marody brings to the table. Marody is a blazing skater that can stretch the ice and put pressure on the opposing defense."

"He’s praised most for his above average skating, his creativity, and play-making. "

"He displays tremendous speed and acceleration, and uses his speed to take the puck wide and create chances from the outside as well as the inside."

"He's a great skater who gets after it and uses his speed to wreak havoc on the opposition, especially on the forecheck, and it's easily his most distinguishable trait."

They can't all be wrong, can they?

As for him having schooling issues: he had mono and missed a bunch of school because he was very sick. He wasn't allowed to play because he had missed so much school from having mono.

I meant for a player his size its just , which mean I think he is a decent skater, it is not a concern but I don't think he will be a speedster at the NHL level. Haven't caught any of his game in a while, my memory could be a bit foggy in that regard, is edge work was better than his straight line speed if I recall correctly. His creativity is what give him an edge in his game not his speed imo.

Yeah I didn't remember exactly why he had to stop playing, but like other point it out I forgot about his mono.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad