Trade: [PHI/CLE] Eagles acquire #2 pick from Browns

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
You really don't know the offense they run now do you? Considering they only threw the ball 28 times and it was his first ever start I thought he did a good job. Completed 18 passes for 204 yards and ran for another 44. But you have your opinion and that's fine. Considering where Carson came from and a fairly small sample size I don't blame folks for thinking he is overrated.

I'm well aware and honestly I don't care. Just furthers my point that he was more of a cog than an engine. He has to make up a lot if ground in a short amount of time.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
From Peter King -

4. I think—of all the people I spoke to over draft weekend—when I brought up the Sam Bradford-is-ticked-off angle, here is how many NFL folks (coaches and GMs mostly) had empathy for Bradford: zero.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Sure, but did anyone see the Eagles trading up like they did? It came out of the blue.

Sam didn't want to sign a long term deal with us, instead opting for a 2 year (essentially 1 year) short term contract. What did he think was going to happen?

So he wants to be traded to a team where he can be the team's long term franchise QB. Which team(s) are he thinking of? :laugh:

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Sam didn't want to sign a long term deal with us, instead opting for a 2 year (essentially 1 year) short term contract. What did he think was going to happen?

So he wants to be traded to a team where he can be the team's long term franchise QB. Which team(s) are he thinking of? :laugh:

Got a link to that? I see nothing but speculation at best, and at worst, the Eagles were the ones who wanted the short term deal.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I give less than zero ***** what they think. He was still ****ed over.

26 million guaranteed.

For a 28 yr old, oft-injured former #1, SB should be thrilled just to ride the bench and make that, much less start.

That the Eagles make bad decisions is too bad for the fans though. Wentz could be fine, but that's a big leap to go from FCS to the NFL, especially from NDSU, who is probably too good for their level, so it's hard to say how he'll react to better competition.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Flipside is that if a team takes a QB at #2, he's not sitting. There is no competition. That's what Bradford's agent said and he's right.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I'm an Eagles fan and frankly there's not much about this whole thing that I like. I think the Eagles screwed Bradford over, but it's a business and he shouldn't have been too surprised. That said, he's certainly within his rights to ask for a trade. At this point the best thing for all parties is probably for him to show up and play well this year, and hopefully the Eagles can get something decent in trade. They won't be in a very strong bargaining position though, as everyone knows Bradford's days with the team are numbered.

As for Wentz, I'm very skeptical. I watched the FCS championship game against Jacksonville State, and the semifinal game (in which Wentz did not play) against Richmond. It's pretty clear that ND State is in a different class than their opposition. They look like they could play in Div 1A. Additionally, they are a power running team. They really don't ask that much from the QB. Wentz does his reads pre-snap, post snap he consistently locks on his first read and if it's not there he tucks it and runs.

And it's not just Wentz, in the semifinal his backup, the guy with the hockey friendly name of Easton Stick, played the same way. Stick looked just as good as Wentz, except that he doesn't have Wentz's arm strength so the deep passing game wasn't there. He also had some trouble with a couple sideline throws. But otherwise he was lights out, as good or better than Wentz. And he's a redshirt freshman. Their season stats aren't all that different, Wentz generally has slightly better numbers except for passing yards, where my guess is that his ability to throw deeps gives him a bigger edge:

http://stats.gobison.com/fb/2015/teamcume.htm

So the fact that the team was so dominant with both QBs, against such inferior competition makes me skeptical. I don't think he is really worth a #2 overall pick, I'd say second half of the first round would have made sense. I get that he has the physical and mental tools. But there is no way to predict how he's going to react to a real live NFL pass rush, blitzes, and coverages. I think it's going to be a huge jump for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->