Trade: [PHI/CLE] Eagles acquire #2 pick from Browns

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Reading the Philly newspapers online, the columnists are completely split on this deal. It's either a great gamble or a total disaster in their minds.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The contract wouldn't be that bad for the team trading for him.

Would Chip Kelly have interest if they moved Kaepernick?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Even via trade, Bradford's dead money wouldn't be worth it for the Eagles. He's stuck there unless someone offers a 1st round pick

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Even via trade, Bradford's dead money wouldn't be worth it for the Eagles. He's stuck there unless someone offers a 1st round pick

I don't see what the dead money really matters. If they trade him before the draft, they still gain enough cap space to sign a #3 and are clear completely for 2017. A new team would have to pay him what, 7 million this year? That's a good deal, especially for a cap strapped team.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The contract wouldn't be that bad for the team trading for him.

Would Chip Kelly have interest if they moved Kaepernick?

Yes it would be, 18 million guaranteed over two years for a player like him is awful.

Not Kelly's call either, Baalke has all the power and he is one of the smarter GMs in the league.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Reading the Philly newspapers online, the columnists are completely split on this deal. It's either a great gamble or a total disaster in their minds.

Shefter made a great point of how Romo and Eli are in mid 30s and Cousins had 1 good year. It's a gamble but if Goff/Wentz are the real deal they could come out looking like bandits.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Ive come around to this trade. It's a calculated risk by the three quarterbacks on their staff must think they can develop one of these players. Id have them sit for at least two years. You are stuck in the NFL if you dont have a quarteback, once you find one the other pieces will fall into place easier.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Just because they’re not picking Goff or Wentz doesn’t mean they’re not going to invest in a QB.

I’m no Browns fan, but I applaud them for resisting the temptation to over-draft a QB simply because it is a need. The problem is that while every media talking head rants on and on about “you need a quarterback to win in the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE!!†media and fans regularly seem to forget that these 1st round QBs are more likely to be disasters than they are to be elite. So teams every year reach for “a QB†and talk themselves into that guy being “the QB.†Everybody acts as if all 1st round QBs are created equal and they absolutely are not.

Since 2000 (17 Super Bowls), 9 have been won by a QB drafted in the first round -- but that’s only 6 players and one of those is Trent Dilfer who was on his second team at that point. And of those six just two -- P. Manning and E. Manning -- were the #1 overall pick. One other was picked in the top 10.
Eight Super Bowls since 2000 were lost by 7 1st Round QBs and that list includes Rex Grossman and Kerry Collins (who was on his second team). Two of those QBs -- P. Manning, Newton —- were the #1 overall. Three more were picked in the top 10.

So in the past 17 years a grand total of 11 1st round QBs even made the Super Bowl (Peyton and Roesthisburger are on both lists) and only 13 of those 17 appearances came with the team that drafted them (Dilfer, Collins and Manning twice were on 2nd teams).

Check out this ranking: http://www.sportingnews.com/list/47...ks-picks-tebow-newton-manziel-rodgers/slide/1
1st round QBs since 2000. There are 42 names on this list. By my estimation only 9 of them were worth it (and I’m counting Flacco and Ryan who still have plenty of detractors and Palmer who is on his 2nd team). I’d say there is another 5 who were/are good players but ultimately let downs given their draft position (3 of whom moved on to different teams). There’s also 3-4 young guys whom the jury is still out on, but realistically it is unlikely all four wind up being good (I have my personal doubts about Borttles and Bridgewater). After that it’s an unquestionable **** show.

So while yes, 1st round QBs are more likely to make a Super Bowl than a non-1st round QB, drafting a QB in the 1st round is actually more likely to cripple your franchise for years because that position more than any other is driven by demand and not by actual abilities.

I think Goff or Wentz would have been a questionable pick for Cleveland at #2 regardless. But for the Rams and Eagles to trade up into the top two spots to get a pair of guys who have plenty of question marks? That’s asinine.

Sorry for the rant. :)

Its not a bad point. RG Knee has talent and all but I have so much doubt he can stay healthy. He's still young though.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
The Eagles have longed for a franchise QB since McNabb, if they hit on it this draft, the trade is absolutely worth it. You need a franchise QB to have a shot at a Super bowl, and I'd rather my team take that risk (if they truly believe they can get their guy) than not.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It's a fairly big (but imo fairly calculated risk) to make. It just makes their signing of Chase Daniel to likely be the most expensive third string QB in the history of man look kinda dumb.

Kind of makes it look like a panic move to me.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Ive come around to this trade. It's a calculated risk by the three quarterbacks on their staff must think they can develop one of these players. Id have them sit for at least two years. You are stuck in the NFL if you dont have a quarteback, once you find one the other pieces will fall into place easier.

Thing is, say they pick Wentz. He's already 23. 24 by seasons end.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Thing is, say they pick Wentz. He's already 23. 24 by seasons end.

So, he can start playing full time when he is 25 or 26. Rivers was 25, I think as was Palmer. Warner was an old man before he started. There is nothing wrong with having a quarterback sit for a year or two.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
It's a fairly big (but imo fairly calculated risk) to make. It just makes their signing of Chase Daniel to likely be the most expensive third string QB in the history of man look kinda dumb.

Kind of makes it look like a panic move to me.

Iggles don't have much skill though so even if they get him they aren't in a win now mode.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad