Confirmed with Link: PHI Claims Calvin Pickard | CAR claims Curtis McElhinney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Here is a question. We just lost Pickard, Mac, and Carrick without anyone returning. How much cap space did this free up for this year only, and how many contracts are we currently sitting at?

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
This sucks so bad. We’re pinning all our hopes on Sparks and right now I have absolutely zero faith in him other than our offence is so potent we could still win games 6-5

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Who is the backup if either goalie gets injured ?

I think Tampa Bay paid for both teams to steal our backups.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
There goes our goalie depth. If andersen gets injured and sparks takes over I can see the season going completely off the rails. Does anyone trust him to start 10+ games. Really dumb wish we at least kept pickard or got some picks

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Sparks and Holl come to mind. I don't think Holl stood out nearly enough in camp to still be up but Dubas has been a fan for years.

Who got cut over Holl that should have made the team? It was between him and Carrick basically, both players that went through Dubas' AHL team. If he was biased towards his players, Ozhiganov wouldn't be on the team right now.

Sparks made it over the other two because of his recent performances, age and abilities.

Reactions: stickty111

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
The goalie depth we had.

Us:
Bean-The-Ultimate-Disaster-Waving.gif

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
You guys realize that both were claimed due to goalie injuries on CAR and PHI.

So it's almost certain both Pickard and McBackup end up on waivers at some point this season.

Which the Leafs are last on the waiver priority for both.

I'm not even convinced that McBackup will be the one Carolina ends up waiving. He has a shot at being their starter to be honest.

PHI and Pickard is a bit of a different situation. However even if Pickard hits waivers again, I doubt he will make it back to us anyway.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Like who exactly? He gave away Carrick to make room for Ozhiganov and waived one of his AHL goaltenders away.

The byproduct of building from within is that you're going to promote from within.
Dubas also sent down Rosen, one of the guys he liked.
He kept Sparks "oh no he is getting attached to the Marlies"

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Not ideal but not a big deal either.

First back to back isnt until November 9/10. Before that Sparks was probably getting one start so until the end of November hits the Leafs were only going to see him at most 4 times. By then you might know if he is a capable backup and before than one or both of Pickard and/or McElhinney would have been on waivers for us to re-claim if we need them.

If the Leafs really need a vet the guys like Lehtonen, and Pavelec could be had. Could even trade for a like Hutchinson or Chad Johnson.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS

I'm not even convinced that McBackup will be the one Carolina ends up waiving. He has a shot at being their starter to be honest.

PHI and Pickard is a bit of a different situation. However even if Pickard hits waivers again, I doubt he will make it back to us anyway.
Hard to say. Pickard passed through waivers last season before we traded for him. He hasn't done anything since to suggest he's any better.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

I think if its your own player earlier in the season, you get first dibs.

Reactions: TorMapleJays

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Whichever 2 of the 3 goalies the Leafs waived was going to be claimed it appears. I think losing Pickard hurts more because he would've been the Marlies starter.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Men oh Men losing backup goalies is such a big deal - is it end of the world?

You can always find a backup via waivers or a trade - relax guys

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Someones going to have to waive someone to make room when they get healthy. If both hit the waiver wire, it's probably because they weren't that good anyway but if they are kept, someone else will be waived.

Finding a competent third stringer isn't a difficult task. Besides, Kaskisuo was pretty good for Chicago and he's probably due to get a lot of starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad