Confirmed with Link: PHI Claims Calvin Pickard | CAR claims Curtis McElhinney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Darn. I would've preferred Mcbackup as would most people. However, let's actually give Sparks a few games before deciding that he has no room for growth and improvement.

Reactions: Matthews34

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Bunch of chicken littles here. And what was the option? Keep all of them at the NHL? Keep 3 goalies at the NHL? Some people like to complain just to complain. Or do people actually really believe that Sparks would not have been claimed? Toronto can just re-claim one when the goalies Pickard and Mac replaced come back. But yes, let's all freak out because the Leafs lost players on waivers that they had to waive anyway. Carry on with the hand wringing. It's also funny because most like to say "play the kids" but are freaking because the Leafs let a 35 year old go to waivers. Too much.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
v0J.gif

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
First move I haven't agreed with, with this management in some time.

Sparks is not good, we can all see that at the NHL level.

The two guys we lost are better and we went from having some of the best depth in the league to having no depth at all.

You're combining two different issues here though. You can prefer Mac/Pickard over Sparks, that's fine. But we we're losing our depth regardless. None of those goalies were going to clear.

Also, this isn't the end of the world. Both of these goalies are injury replacements. We may get one or both back in a couple months.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Probably would have happened regardless of the 2 goalies waived.

Eamon McAdam and Kasimir Kaskisuo are now the Leafs' goaltending depth. Don't forget that Pickard cost a mere 6th rounder (and prospect dump) last fall.

Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
My one and only real criticism of Dubas is I think he's too attached to the Marlies. Some of these guys are in the AHL for a reason.

Like who exactly? He gave away Carrick to make room for Ozhiganov and waived one of his AHL goaltenders away.

The byproduct of building from within is that you're going to promote from within.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Knew this would happen. Still butthurt that we didn't trade them to get late round picks. I might be butthurt, but given the general sentiment around here, most people are going to be irate.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Kasimir Kaskisuo is now the starter and third strong goalie.

I assume we see Justin Peters signed to an AHL deal off his AHL PTO, to be the backup.

I forgot Eamon McAdam.

Either way, I assume Peters will be signed, to play in the AHL or the ECHL

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Typical Leafs nation, getting all worked up about back-up goaltenders.

They are reasonable considering we just lost all our depth and have promoted an NHL question mark in Sparks. If Anderssen is injured you have a question mark and nothing at all behind that. We got plucked and your intellectual comment of the day is what??? Not very bright reasoning IMHO.

Reactions: supermann_98

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
First move I haven't agreed with, with this management in some time.

Sparks is not good, we can all see that at the NHL level.

The two guys we lost are better and we went from having some of the best depth in the league to having no depth at all.

Sparks is not good? Lmao

His win record is kinda nuts on the Marlies.

Reactions: Atrusai

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Surprised and disappointed that they both got claimed. Great goalie depth gone in the blink of an eye really sucks.

McBackup was my first choice to backup this year, but I can't really say I'm worried. Halfway decent backups go on waivers all the time (this thread is about two of them) or they cost a fourth or fifth round pick to acquire in a trade.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I didn't expect both of them to be picked. Definitely thought Pickard would find a taker. Surprised to see McElhinney get picked.

I am sure both of them will hit the waiver wire later this season and can be picked up again if needed.

So in the end, it wouldn't have mattered a whole lot. Any of the two goalies we waived would have been picked up.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
plenty of contract room to bring in a (bad contract with picks) if need be. Who's selling a bad contract and willing to give us a 1st or 2nd round pick???

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Like who exactly? He gave away Carrick to make room for Ozhiganov and waived one of his AHL goaltenders away.

Sparks and Holl come to mind. I don't think Holl stood out nearly enough in camp to still be up but Dubas has been a fan for years.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Lol it's good to see people getting typically upset about something like this and irrationally looking to much into 3 pre season games! We were losing 2 of the 3 to waivers regardless of who we picked....and we can and I know this is shocking...use the waiver wire too!! Now everyone back away from the ledge and approach the nylander ledge please.

Reactions: Lauro

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Knew this would happen. Still ******** that we didn't trade them to get late round picks. I might be ********, but given the general sentiment around here, most people are going to be irate.
Who the hell would trade a pick for a guy who was clearly going to be forced to waivers?

Reactions: Lauro

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
If Darling comes back the Hurricanes will waive McBackup and we'll get him again. Same could happen with Philly, they both have tandems already.
I bet Mac shines in Carolina,as he did with the Leafs. They have a better D core as well. This will take a stellar performance by Sparks to Dubas to look like he knew what he was doing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->