Confirmed Trade: [PHI/CHI] Evan Barratt for Cooper Zech

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Wow, look at Chicago being all active and stuff early in the season. I for one welcome the excitement even if it is minor.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Don’t really know much about Barratt except he was drafted by Chicago, is from Bristol PA and was apart of Chicago’s taxi squad during the pandemic but never seen any NHL action.

The Flyers were kinda light on centers as injuries at the NHL and AHL levels have decimated the Flyers depth down the middle so Evan Barratt was more of a minor league center depth need so the trade makes sense.

Cooper Zech hasn’t seen any action with the Phantoms this season so he was expendable as the Phantoms have many more defenders on AHL contracts.

Zech was signed by Philly as a free agent from the Providence Bruins but never seen NHL action. Zech is a depth defender at the AHL level that has been passed over by the Flyer prospect defenders, basically an AHL lifer.

Reactions: captainpaxil

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Barratt was one of those USNTDP guys that i never understood what anyone was seeing there. He was just so painfully "meh" at basically everything as an amateur. Just sorta...there, barely. Made it kinda hard to envision him as any kind of NHLer.

Not like they spent a particularly high pick on him. But it was one of those super "low floor" and "low ceiling" sort of prospects that made no sense to me why he'd even go in the mid rounds. I remember some people (and pundits) making a weird projection like being a serviceable middling player that doesn't excel at anything on a stacked USA team was going to somehow translate directly do being a serviceable middling NHLer. Which never made any sense, because he never really showed that he could do anything of note.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
my hand goes up--had to google BOTH to see who they are
Only reason I had heard of Barratt was that he played here for the US NTDP, and I barely remembered him (we have season tickets to the NTDP). Never heard of Zech, although I learned from a Google search he's from nearby South Lyon, Michigan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad