GDT: PHI@CAR - Lose them all

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Or he did the best he could with smaller players. Waste time trying to bulk up or emphasize the strengths of small, quick and flexible.

We sorely lack bigger players. We couldn’t add size AND skill so we added skill in this most recent version. TT, Aho, Lindy, Skinner, Ryan, Williams, Stempniak are all leaner and/or smaller.

Rask and Nordstrom could carry more weight, but I don’t know who else could really benefit from a change away to bulkier.

That's a very valid point and I wholeheartedly agree.
I admittedly don't keep up with other teams prospects and development that much but it seems maybe we could have found a few "diamond in the rough" forwards at some point. Why did a Riley Nash, who for all intents and purposes sucked so bad here, go on to become a completely serviceable player in Boston? Talent around him? Coaching and system? Using him in a proper role?
I think it would be interesting to go back and look at other teams picks. Comparing age, height, weight and other physical traits and compare how other organizations developed these players.
The Jets are somewhat of an extreme example. To me they have about the best combination of size, speed and skill. It will be interesting to see how far takes them in the playoffs.
I guess one of my biggest gripes is that it seems almost every team in the league manhandles the Canes. Is it a training issue? Heart and willingness? Developmental? Coaching or system? Leadership? Whatever it is the team is seriously lacking in "man-strength" our player ratios are way off.
We have a bunch of players that have one of three traits (speed, skill, power) very few that have two of those traits and I can't think of a single one that possess all three at a reasonably high level, Jordan being the closest one. The makeup of our team is a total mess.
This is partially due to being the prime example of meritocracy, not finishing low enough to draft high impact players and something just not clicking on development.
We've had some decent luck on defenseman but our forward core basically flat out sucks except for maybe 5-6 players. And someone screwed the pooch on providing the role players to help our decent forwards succeed.
That someone has been fired, although I think his hands were tied by PK and I would have loved to see what he could of done with a higher payroll.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
The Friessen teams of long ago had the fitness to out hustle many teams in the third and were known as the "Cardiac Canes" They have no ability to mount a comeback any more or hold the rare lead they do achieve.

I always thought they were called the Cardiac Canes because being a fan meant a higher than average risk of suffering cardiac arrest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad