Phenoms-are they becoming commonplace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

al3x

Jul 12, 2005
Bucharest,Romania
cxreg said:
And don't forget MA Fleury who's been pretty much crap.

MAF is not crap :madfire:
And also he really wasn't as hyped as other players were and at such a young age.(maybe because he's a goalie)
I don't think he was labeled as a phenom but he can be a very very good player (and has shown signs that he already is near that level)

RANGERDIEHARD

Jul 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
The phenom label is used more but to me a phenom is someone who performs at such a level as to significantly set himself apart from his peers; names like Gretzky, Orr, Howe, Lemiuex etc... I don't consider any of the names that I've heard on these boards a phenom....yet.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
There is hype every year if there is one that is a clear number one pick in the draft. When there is not, look at last year. Barely a peep. But even when there is a clear number one it is not as is implied in this thread. Our perception is skewed because two of the most anticipated prospects to come in two decades came back to back, AO and Crosby. Usually propects with that type of buzz come more like once a decade.

As for the MAF thing . . . already said but I will just :) at that to keep from laughing. He pretty much has shut most of his critics up with some amazing play this year, and he still has a ceiling that he has not begun to tap, he is still young and developing. He has shut most of his critics up, but apparently not all. I am not sure that he is the best out of the 2003 draft, but he really was not the number one pick that year absent an arranged 'deal' with FLA, more like a #2 or #3. In the end he is proving more and more that he certainly belongs in that top five and was the best of the bunch for the Pens, who could use a franchise goalie much more than yet another forward to add to Crosby, Malkin, Christensen and perhaps Kessel. And that is good enough for me.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
It's hype. When it's all said and done a lot of these guys won't be nearly as good as we are led to believe they will be. Some of these guys get so hyped up (ie Crosby) that it actually hurts their game enventually. Think of the pressure on Crosby's shoulders especially now that the Penguins stink and are without Mario to shoulder some critics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->