Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Since this is semi related, on the main boards I saw a thread on how the Sens AHL team and their kids are doing....quite impressive:

With Ottawa's AHL team hovering around 2nd in the AHL, and was 1st at one point recently, im curious to know of recent AHL teams that were carried top heavy almost exclusively by 21 years and under players.Or even around that.

Batherson 51 points in 40 games AHL points leader until recalled 21 years old
Norris 58 points in 51 games (rookie) 20 years old 4th in AHL scoring
Formenton 52 points in 56 games (rookie) 20 years old 6th in AHL scoring
Brannstrom 23 points in 27 games 20 years old 2nd in the AHL in PPG as a defender
L. Brown 28 points in 25 games 21 years old 1.12 PPG
Abramov 36 points in 47 games 21 years old
Balcers 36 points in 33 points (22)

Ottawa is a great drafting team in every round of the draft. When players perform like that in the AHL, it only increases trade value. If that's not the perfect example of trusting talented youth in a supportive environment over AHL vets, who eat away usage and waste cheap development time, I don't know what is. The team overall is thriving.

That said, there just's something that doesn't totally pass the smell test for me there. Those are all good players; some very good. Basically every player there I liked-loved at the draft. But it's just flirting with implausibility to have that many point/game players that young. Something in the water? Like if they were on the Phantoms, I wouldn't be shocked to see some of those numbers close to halved. But having said that: who cares? Every single player there has increased his value enormously. The Flyers for years thrived on decreasing their prospects' values.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Exactly. The next AHL hire should be looked at as a potential heir to Vigneault.

Even if the guy is that or isn’t that. More times than not you’re doing something right if you’re wanted by someone else for a promotion. So if it’s here or elsewhere give me a guy that could be wanted by somebody for a higher position.

Our last two coaches down there (not including interims) have been Terry Murray & Scott Gordon. Gordon got an interim gig with us in the NHL but basically everything out suggested he was never a serious candidate to stick. So you basically have two guys that at no point were they really coveted by us or any other NHL team for a HC job at the NHL level.

Reactions: Rebels57

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
I check in on the prospect threads from time to time and haven’t noticed any mention of Wyatt Wylie among the prospects. Does anyone know much about his play? He’s putting up good numbers this year but I haven’t seen any WHL games so that’s all I know about him.

He really stood out in his draft year when Everett knocked the Winterhawks out behind Hart. Glad the flyers took him with a late pick. He isn’t flashy but is consistent. I assume he is the leader of that D by now, but haven’t watched Everett since Hart left.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Better prospect? Yeah. Lyon is 27 so he’s not really a prospect. Better third goalie right now? Debatable.

Reactions: Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Better prospect? Yeah. Lyon is 27 so he’s not really a prospect. Better third goalie right now? Debatable.

Not even debatable, Ustimenko is a great story, but his history is MHL and ECHL, give him at least a year in the AHL before thinking about him at the NHL level.

Lyon has played decently in NHL cameos when he's 100%, last year he was forced into duty when he was hobbled and wasn't 100% until the second half of the AHL season.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
I saw Ustimenko in the last Phantoms game. The Phantoms were a pile of crap in front of him and Frost was benched for his boneheaded play on the PP which resulted in a shorthanded goal that Big U had no chance of stopping. Ustimenko really takes risks, goes waaaay out of the crease to cut down the angle. Raw but potential is there.....
Everybody seems that the Phantoms' problems are Gordon's fault. I will meet everyone half-way on the coach; but the players really have to step up or be replaced. Bigras for a 1st rounder , wow!, 0.01 Hockey IQ. Makes Andy Mac look like Bobby Orr.

andrew mac.jpg

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
I saw Ustimenko in the last Phantoms game. The Phantoms were a pile of crap in front of him and Frost was benched for his boneheaded play on the PP which resulted in a shorthanded goal that Big U had no chance of stopping. Ustimenko really takes risks, goes waaaay out of the crease to cut down the angle. Raw but potential is there.....
Everybody seems that the Phantoms' problems are Gordon's fault. I will meet everyone half-way on the coach; but the players really have to step up or be replaced. Bigras for a 1st rounder , wow!, 0.01 Hockey IQ. Makes Andy Mac look like Bobby Orr.

View attachment 329987

That game was probably their worst game they played all season. Or, at the very least, their worst game as a team in awhile.
Puck management was MIA for practically every skater.

They only generated 29.03% of the shot attempts at 5v5, 20.00% of the Scoring Chances at 5v5, and 12.50% of the High Danger Chances at 5v5. That is astoundingly bad.

Reactions: Tripod and Rebels57

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
re: Wylie

He's 2nd in raw points which is impressive even as an overager until you realize his teammate has 47 points in 35 games after joining the team off of his AHL tryout. I don't know how Everett continues to do it. They haven't had much skill over the years but they play their low event hockey to near perfection- at least in the regular season.

The scoring leaderboard for WHL defensemen is pretty bizarre. At Xmas there were 3 PPG defensemen. Now we have 8 with the highly touted guys surging in the second half (Byram, Smith, Addison). The leading scorer went undrafted last year. He'll likely get picked in the middle rounds this year. 2nd year player. RH shot. Good size.

WeatherBeaten

Mar 4, 2019
He really stood out in his draft year when Everett knocked the Winterhawks out behind Hart. Glad the flyers took him with a late pick. He isn’t flashy but is consistent. I assume he is the leader of that D by now, but haven’t watched Everett since Hart left.
Thank you and FLYguy3911. It looks like he hasn’t been signed yet so maybe he’s not high on their priority list with some other guys in the pipeline. I’d hate to see them lose too much if they don’t sign him, Kalynuk (I’m not clear on whether he needs to be signed this year or not) and Högberg (who I think needs to be signed this summer). Maybe they’re all long shots but it’s nice to have some defense depth potential in the pipeline for a change even if it’s only bottom pair potential.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They have Zamula, Prosser, Bigras, & Wotherspoon all signed on for next year at this point.

Wylie, Bernhardt, & Hogberg all have their rights expiring on June 1st, 2020.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Wylie's hard to pin down, steady improvement in the WHL, scoring at a high pace, but he's also a bit "overage", turned 20 in Nov., so even though it's his post-draft +2 season, he's three to nine months older than his peers.

The offense is a good sign in that he's probably destined to be a defensively oriented 3rd pair D-man, but if he's a good passer and decent shot from the point in that role, he'll have value. They're not going to be able to afford to pay their third pair much after they extend Sanheim and Myers, so having solid prospects as role players will help fill out the roster, Friedman, Wylie, St Ivany. Given the LHD depth coming up (York, Zamula, Kalynuk, and of course, Ginning), developing a RHD or two will help their balance.

Reactions: WeatherBeaten

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Thank you and FLYguy3911. It looks like he hasn’t been signed yet so maybe he’s not high on their priority list with some other guys in the pipeline. I’d hate to see them lose too much if they don’t sign him, Kalynuk (I’m not clear on whether he needs to be signed this year or not) and Högberg (who I think needs to be signed this summer). Maybe they’re all long shots but it’s nice to have some defense depth potential in the pipeline for a change even if it’s only bottom pair potential.
I think if they signed him before March 1st it would have burned the first year off of his ELC. Not 100% on that but after March 1st is when CHL overagers tend to sign ELCs. Based off of Flahr’s comments about a month ago, it seemed like all but a certainty he would be getting a contract offer. I got the impression Hogberg was less likely to be signed and Bernhardt almost no chance.

With Laczynski, Kalynuk, and Allison they have not really hid their desire to sign those three but the ball is in the players’ court. Wisconsin could be eliminated this weekend. They only have two contracts slots to offer ELCs that kick in for this season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The problem with Hogberg may simply be "no room at the inn,"

If they can't sign Kalynuk, they may circle back to Hogberg, but with York, Zamula and Kalynuk, is there a future for an averaged sized LHD without exceptional skills? You already have Provorov and Sanheim and for now, Ghost from the left side.

Ginning is more of a long-term project providing the size that only Hagg and Myers have, and in the organization, St Ivany and Attard from the right side, so while he may be less talented than Hogberg, they don't have to make a decision for a couple years and he's more "unique."

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Exactly. The next AHL hire should be looked at as a potential heir to Vigneault.
See I'd go the complete opposite. Mhl coaches seem to cut thier teeth as assistants so I'd spend a lot of that cap free Comcast money on a guy with NHL experience.y prime candidate would be gallant or if hearts or set on bringing in a younger guy move therrien down.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
See I'd go the complete opposite. Mhl coaches seem to cut thier teeth as assistants so I'd spend a lot of that cap free Comcast money on a guy with NHL experience.y prime candidate would be gallant or if hearts or set on bringing in a younger guy move therrien down.

Lol you think Gallant or Therrien would take an AHL gig? Youre insane.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Lol you think Gallant or Therrien would take an AHL gig? Youre insane.
For hakstolls contract I think they'd coach reading. Give them a cozy title like director of player development and the security of a long term deal. Yes I do think it's possible to lure a significant name.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Often when people are already financially set, they care more about reputation and legacy than more money. Especially old guys who are already multi-millionaires.

I think most of these guys would look at coaching a minor league team as an insult and embarrassment.

Reactions: Tripod

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'm not sure how it works if you take an assistant job, but this was the final year of his Flyers deal. 5 x 2 I believe. Does he definitely forfeit that?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm not sure how it works if you take an assistant job, but this was the final year of his Flyers deal. 5 x 2 I believe. Does he definitely forfeit that?

Probably not, usually those contracts have an offset clause, where his new salary is subtracted from the amount owed him by the team.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->