Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
No Bobby Brink for tonight’s game either.

Cole Smith should go take a long walk off a short pier:
BA747BC3-34A1-4616-8C35-4670DE0D8853.jpeg

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Matt Boldy's splits this season are nuts. 1 goal and 2 assists in his first 15 games before the Christmas break as a close to consensus top 10 pick. Left off the WJC roster. 22 points in the 17 games since.

I read that he played mostly center to start the year -- which made little sense given he was a through and through winger in the NTDP -- and looked fine but was having brutal scoring luck. I was pretty baffled and uncertain given he was a personal favorite (right in front of Tomasino), and my top guy at #11. He looked as projectable as it gets. Funny how it works sometimes with a little patience.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Wisconsin plays Ohio State next week in the Big Ten tournament. Ohio State probably still has a chance to get in if they lose so probably should pull for them.

We were a Wisconsin goal away from a Michigan/Wisconsin matchup.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
Rubtsov had 6 goals in 14 games last season. There is 2 goals in 41 games. What’s going wrong with him? I noticed Phatoms scoring abilities is really struggling this season. For example even most experienced forwards like COR and Carey have around 0,5 PPG.
But 2 goals for top prospect...

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Rubtsov had 6 goals in 14 games last season. There is 2 goals in 41 games. What’s going wrong with him? I noticed Phatoms scoring abilities is really struggling this season. For example even most experienced forwards like COR and Carey have around 0,5 PPG.
He isn't very good and was a bad pick at 22 overall.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The whole of the Phantoms team are playing below their individual levels.

Everyone's scoring is heavily down.

Because the team is ran very poorly.

Look at high-end, proven AHL guys like O'Reilly and Andreoff and their usual scoring rate vs this year.

Not sure I have seen many teams ever where EVERY player pretty much sees their scoring go down.

Frost
Kase
Andreoff
Friedman

are the only four guys on the team with ~positive HDCF... when you look at the team on paper it should be closer to the top of the division than missing the playoffs.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
The whole of the Phantoms team are playing below their individual levels.

Everyone's scoring is heavily down.

Because the team is ran very poorly.

Look at high-end, proven AHL guys like O'Reilly and Andreoff and their usual scoring rate vs this year.

Not sure I have seen many teams ever where EVERY player pretty much sees their scoring go down.

Frost
Kase
Andreoff
Friedman

are the only four guys on the team with ~positive HDCF... when you look at the team on paper it should be closer to the top of the division than missing the playoffs.

It's almost as if Scott Gordon is a terrible f***ing coach with no real system.

Man, can you imagine if someone had come out and declared himself to be a fan of his interim coaching last year and expressed interest in retaining him for the Flyers? That'd be one hell of a take.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
O'Reilly is 33. It's not surprising that he's in a decline.

Andreoff is in line with the majority of his prior AHL scoring, save for one season and another 7 game stretch.

The team just isn't that good. I know they have some vets, but they were relying on a number of young guys to be a lot better than they are.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's almost as if Scott Gordon is a terrible f***ing coach with no real system.

Man, can you imagine if someone had come out and declared himself to be a fan of his interim coaching last year and expressed interest in retaining him for the Flyers? That'd be one hell of a take.

05d4757da1cc3653b8cb20e943d4a169.png

And then all these additional posts are from the same source. Some recent and some from the offseason.

I think Gordon is a good coach. Some posters really despise him, so I was expecting worse, but he impressed me. I think he’s a pretty smart guy.​
I think Gordon is a smart guy & a much better coach than he gets credit for.
But I also think Gordon is way better than advertised.

I often read posts complaining about systems not focusing enough on zone entries , etc., like it’s a magic formula — just tell your players!

Ever coach a below average team in a sport? Tell them anything you want that requires skill to execute. Won’t make them able.​
I don’t think Hakstol or Gordon are nearly as dumb as popular opinion holds;
I absolutely do not think Gordon is anywhere near the idiot many make him out to be. Of course, I don't think Hakstol is, either, even though some of his personnel decisions were baffling (actually, I just think he was extremely rigid in how he wanted his systems played, which led to some baffling personnel decisions on the surface, but also has its pluses).
I still like Gordon, though, & think complaints about his alleged systems are vastly overblown.
Those who despise Gordok have nothing to worry about. He won't be back. I agree they should ultimately go Quenneville if they can, and I think they will. But I also think Gordon is much better than he gets credit for.
Good staff. Glad Gordon is staying, also.
Scott Gordon is a good coach with over 500 professional coaching wins, an AHL coach of the year award, and a .595 AHL points percentage. Coaching isn't the reason the Phantoms has struggled this season. Injuries, callups, and young players needing to gain experience are.
Gordon would pick you apart in knowledge of hockey systems. I guarantee you have no clue about the complexity & finer details of his systems, the reads he wants his players to make, etc.
he reality is that Gordon is very detail oriented. He was constantly meeting with players & going over video. He was constantly talking to the players on the bench. There were quotes from players about Gordon’s coaching style that said Gordon talked about systems constantly. There were other quotes showing he had 11 different breakout reads on the PP.

The notion that Gordon “was not and is not a coach who pays a ton of attention to the finer details of hockey” is flat-out wrong.​
It’s true I liked what Gordon did after taking over & think all of the hatred I’ve seen directed at him is incredibly overblown.

Gordon is intelligent, but Vigneault has that extra presence. Myers is disappointing. Throw him on the third pair but don't expect anything great. Morin looks lost. Rubtsov was invisible in a huge opportunity. Farabee and Frost simply aren't there yet.
Too many third gear players, hatch. People hate on Gordon, fine. I don't think he is anywhere near as bad as people say.
Disagree. I want a good coach coaching these potential future Flyers; I’m not into “grooming” an unknown coach at the sake of risking prospects’ development. I think Gordon is about as good as you’re going to do for an AHL coach. And I think he will coach again in the NHL.
I might be the only one, but I like Gordon. And I was expecting to hate him.

Reactions: Stizzle

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
When the vast majority of skaters on a team are playing poorly, it’s completely the players fault. the coach’s are trying their best after all.....

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Let me guess, a poster who is supposedly on "forced ignore' with me is writing about me knowing I can't see it? Brave. Imagine the punishment if I did the same.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Let me guess, a poster who is supposedly on "forced ignore' with me is writing about me knowing I can't see it? Brave. Imagine the punishment if I did the same.

World'sSmallestViolin.gif

I also love "people are allowed to have different opinions"

Absolutely they are. What makes having an opinion even better is being able to back it up with your reasoning and own explanations and ideas especially if you have some sort of proof or specific examples to point too instead of just more of your own opinions. And to have the courage to say your opinion might be wrong when things are looking bad.

Reactions: deadhead and Tripod

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

They have the worst coach in the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad