Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yes you have. But when someone does show the stats to match the eye test, then it shows there is no biasness going on. And then certain people can't say "I don't trust ____ and what he sees".

Just covering all the angles.
Oh, I completely understand. No worries there.

I'm just saying that it backs up what I said and shows I wasn't lying... unlike other impartial people... ;)

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Having 2 of Frost, Farabee or Rubstov play for the next 2 games will not impact their future. Then you assess things for the road game.
They assessed them in the preseason. I happen to agree with the Flyers’ decision. You don’t. I’ve given my reasons why, which you disagree with. I’m just going to stop and agree to disagree. No use going back & forth about whose opinion is “right.”

I will say I agree Bunnaman has been terrible & should be sent down. In fact I said after they signed Stewart that I think Stewart is a better option, & Bunnaman should be sent down. Bunny’s play last night bolstered my opinion. So I’m certainly not advocating for him. For the time being they can call up an AHL vet if they need a 13th forward for the road.

Eventually, & it may not be too long, I suspect Farabee will force his way in.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If they decide to play the kids, it will probably be at home, when AV gets to choose the matchups and can protect them.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Again...Frost/Farabee or Rubstov just have to be better than Twar and Bunny and it improves the team. And again, it doesn't have to be a long term call up. It can be a 2-3 game set of games. Hell, it could be Pimp too.

I was vocal that they EARNED a small term reward. And now they have earned the demotion. Keeping them up rewards them for playing poorly. That's not right either.

There is a block of 2 games...Sat and Monday. Reward someone else(actually 2) with the call-up and see how they perform before deciding who to bring to Chicago on the 1 game road trip. And hell, you talk to Twar and Bunny and tell them to work their ass off this coming weekend games and they could be rewarded again. We are not closing the door on them all season.

oh...and I hope you saw the post from Appleyard that I re-posted stating how Frost is playing DESPITE his wingers not converting his chances.
I think you really have to separate the discussion to centers and wings. Frost and Rubstov play a way more difficult and demanding position that really takes a lot longer even for exceptional talents for young players. I honestly don't know what they saw in Bunnyman but he looks overmatched. I think they just don't have a good solution with Patrick out for 3c. I saw all of Frost's preseason games including once live and he didn't look ready to me. The one Ahl game I saw he looked good not dominate. Rubstov just needs to play lots of minutes which he won't get on the big club. Voro isn't good enough. I would wait for now on centers.

I get why they kept Twar. He played well and added energy. Farabee I think was borderline in my mind as wing is much simpler to play. He was good but on his natural left side we had three better choices, so send him down for 20 or 30 games give him lots of minutes and reevaluate. No problem with that. I think he will be up first.

Myers is good enough and clearly showed last year he was ready. I honestly think he tweaked one of the coaches and they didn't like his tude and sent him down for a while. I think he will be back with Farabee.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If they decide to play the kids, it will probably be at home, when AV gets to choose the matchups and can protect them.
And that...I understand. Shelter them in a scoring role and see how things play out.

In the end, a healthy Patrick would really help the team right now. The upside is that we do have top 6/9 prospects in the AHL now. In years past, it was still mostly 4th liners.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's tough to be patient, but the Flyers are building something special, you could see that in camp, the talent level is just so much higher than it's been in a decade. But a lot of that talent is a month to a couple years away from being able to contribute at a NHL level.

But we're not switching out Leier for Luby anymore!

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think you really have to separate the discussion to centers and wings. Frost and Rubstov play a way more difficult and demanding position that really takes a lot longer even for exceptional talents for young players. I honestly don't know what they saw in Bunnyman but he looks overmatched. I think they just don't have a good solution with Patrick out for 3c. I saw all of Frost's preseason games including once live and he didn't look ready to me. The one Ahl game I saw he looked good not dominate. Rubstov just needs to play lots of minutes which he won't get on the big club. Voro isn't good enough. I would wait for now on centers.

I get why they kept Twar. He played well and added energy. Farabee I think was borderline in my mind as wing is much simpler to play. He was good but on his natural left side we had three better choices, so send him down for 20 or 30 games give him lots of minutes and reevaluate. No problem with that. I think he will be up first.

Myers is good enough and clearly showed last year he was ready. I thanked he tweaked one of the coaches and they didn't like his tude and sent him down for a while. I think he will be back with Farabee.
Frost had one pre-season game where he created many scoring chances and was stoned on one scoring chance for himself. Adding skill to our lineup would 100% help us when we are replacing guys who are in the 30%'s for Corsi.

We 100% should be bringing up Farabee for 2 games and dropping Bunny. That move alone means Twar drops down to a 4th line role where he is more suited...run with Twar Raffl Pitlick. I personally am ok with a 2nd recall and Twar going down who has now had 3 subpar games in a row.

We just should not go into the next game with 6 guys on the roster who should be 4th line/in the AHL skill wise.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

Myers is good enough and clearly showed last year he was ready. I honestly think he tweaked one of the coaches and they didn't like his tude and sent him down for a while. I think he will be back with Farabee.

Indeed. The center position is extremely demanding in the NHL. From a physical standpoint & from a responsibility standpoint. It’s extremely tough to jump straight into it at 20 with no pro experience, never having played against older, stronger men at such a competitive level. Very few players can pull that off.

As for Rubtsov, he’s played a lot of wing in junior & the AHL. Very unlikely he’d be able to step into the NHL & be effective at C. Not convinced he’ll end up a center.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Frost had one pre-season game where he created many scoring chances and was stoned on one scoring chance for himself. Adding skill to our lineup would 100% help us when we are replacing guys who are in the 30%'s for Corsi.

We 100% should be bringing up Farabee for 2 games and dropping Bunny. That move alone means Twar drops down to a 4th line role where he is more suited...run with Twar Raffl Pitlick. I personally am ok with a 2nd recall and Twar going down who has now had 3 subpar games in a row.

We just should not go into the next game with 6 guys on the roster who should be 4th line/in the AHL skill wise.

Why not? It's been thay way for the last 5 years. Same old Fly Guys!

Reactions: Striiker and Tripod

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Only Chris Stewart can protect them. Gun in hand, watching them as they sleep, ready to lay down his life. Or get takeout food.

Just sharing info:

Fletcher needs to bring him to the Phantoms ASAP. Nothing is worse than seeing an NHL lock ruined. Do these SHL coaches even know how many SHL games he's played?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's not about replacing guys, it's about the optimal development path for prospects who could be key cogs for a decade.

Jake Guentzel - 3 years of college, then 30 AHL games at age 22, didn't seem to hurt him
Kyle Connor - 1 year of college at 19, then 52 AHL games at age 20, 20 game cameo, 57 points at 21, 66 points at 22.

Some guys are instant stars, some take a year or two to acclimate, some need four to five years to emerge (Couts, Teravainen, Wheeler, etc.).

Now what is the optimal development strategy for Frost and Farabee? Who knows?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Rubtsov is extremely inexperienced:

17: 31 MHL games
18: 15 KHL/15 MHL/16 CHL/5 WJC-20
19: 68 CHL/5 WJC-20/9 other Int'l - in those 68g 20-33 53, not exactly a great PD+2 performance
20: 15 AHL games

Experience wise, he's probably 1-2 years behind his age group.
Physically, he's more than "heavy" enough for the NHL, but he really needs a lot of PT.

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
Rubtsov is extremely inexperienced:

17: 31 MHL games
18: 15 KHL/15 MHL/16 CHL/5 WJC-20
19: 68 CHL/5 WJC-20/9 other Int'l - in those 68g 20-33 53, not exactly a great PD+2 performance
20: 15 AHL games

Experience wise, he's probably 1-2 years behind his age group.
Physically, he's more than "heavy" enough for the NHL, but he really needs a lot of PT.
And Bunnaman got how many games in?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Bunnaman:
17: 77 CHL games
18: 67 CHL games
19: 85 CHL games
20: 62 AHL games/4 NHL games.

Yeah, I'd say that Bunnaman has about a full year or more on Rubtsov in terms of experience.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Because he doesnt play a "heavy game"

If you dont play a heavy game, this org makes it excruciatingly difficult to make the lineup.

Nothing has changed yet under new regime regarding prospect promotion.

He arguably does play a heavy game. He wins a ton of battles. He probably isn’t on the NHL roster because he likely isn’t in game shape yet. Being out for nearly a year will do that to a hockey player.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not just game shape, Rubtsov has a total of 30 career KHL and AHL games before this season, and it's not like he was a MHL/CHL wunderkid.
So while he flashes the entire skill package, he really needs some AHL time to learn how to play against pros.

Different strokes for different folks, someone like Caufield I'd promote quickly, because I think he's a polished scorer, and like DeBrincat, probably has limited upside as a two way player, so use him as a one trick pony.

Rubtsov has the potential to be a middle six two way center, but he'll need more experience to refine his instincts.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He arguably does play a heavy game. He wins a ton of battles. He probably isn’t on the NHL roster because he likely isn’t in game shape yet. Being out for nearly a year will do that to a hockey player.

Yep. He just doesnt play the archetypical 4th line grinder style.

Until org proves me wrong, ill assume they still have that mindset when it comes to 4th line.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Yep. He just doesnt play the archetypical 4th line grinder style.

Until org proves me wrong, ill assume they still have that mindset when it comes to 4th line.

ah I see. You may be right about that

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Rubtsov and Vorobyev are potentially exactly what they want, big players who also have skill.
Rubtsov has shown the willingness to back check and play defense as well as forecheck.
Vorobyev is more of a question, he plays with intensity at times, but also takes too many nights off.

I think they like Bunnaman and Twarynski, but realistically they need more seasoning, and just as important, a real center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad