Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
tenor.gif

You can answer with all the non-sequitur gifs you wish, but there’s going to be a spot open when Simmonds leaves and Vorobyev is moving the wrong way on the depth chart with that opportunity nearing, and decidedly so. And unlike the past, there’s no shortage of prospects in line for a shot.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Gordon has also decided that Hagg, MacDonald, and Varone are NHL players, which means he’s an idiot.

They are NHL players, they're on a roster, aren't they? :sarcasm:

They're not good NHL players, but you can probably find a bunch of 4th line players worst than Varone and a bunch of 3rd pair defensemen worse than Hagg and MacDonald.

Very few teams go 12 quality forwards and 6 quality defensemen deep.
And when you do construct that good of a roster, between age, players going into funks and the salary cap, it's darn hard to maintain.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Jumping the gun much?

Rubstov is wasting another season despite his good start to the AHL.

Bunny 21 pts in 37 games
Pimp 22 pts in 32 games

It’s comical how quick people are to write off prospects who don’t immediately cement themselves in the lineup. There must have been a hundred posts saying Laughton was finished as a Flyer, but he’s still here.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Varone is a scrub but Vorobyev showed nothing on NHL level. so far.

Why is Morin not playing tonight...?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It’s comical how quick people are to write off prospects who don’t immediately cement themselves in the lineup. There must have been a hundred posts saying Laughton was finished as a Flyer, but he’s still here.
Not to mention, it's as if injuries won't happen going forward. You WANT to have multiple guys in the AHL capable of stepping in at anytime. And we are not there yet. I didn't think Vorobyev would be on the team this year so to me, this is all bonus/learning experience for him.

And reality is, we have so many prospects vs available spots....some are not going to make it.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Those are really low. I think 10 minutes is the lowest that a waiver exempt forward should be playing.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I think that he's finished as a Flyer. With Frost, Bunnaman and Rubtsov in the system, I doubt that he'll get by them to play C on this club. His defense isn't too bad but his offense is non-existent. They gave him a shot but it didn't work out.

I know, right? They provided about as much as they could and he just totally failed. He had great linemates, a full seven minutes or more per game, around 15 games total to prove himself, and he just failed miserably. Even when you consider that he is still learning the language and getting accustomed to living on the other side of the world from his home, it's really a shame that he is such an abject failure, but you are totally right, we can surely make a definitive judgment on him now, for sure.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I wonder if they will recall Knight to replace Vorobyev. I think he’d be a better 4C than Varone.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Farabee may be in the NHL next year, to me he's more advanced than TK at the same age (has a more of a two way game), just has to fill out. His skating has improved the past year and may get even better as he adds lower body strength.

Vorobyev isn't talented enough to compensate for his inexperience, he can't outskate his mistakes and doesn't know how to use his body at the NHL level. Lindblom, while far more advanced than Vorobyev at the same age, has been up and down in the NHL, it took a while for Lindblom to learn how to use his strength to win battles and make plays.

There's a reason players like these two (and Strome, Bunnaman and Twarynski) are middle round picks, you can dominate at lower levels, but lack of foot speed gets exposed in today's NHL, smaller guys like Weal have limited options to compensate, bigger guys have to learn how to use their body to gain an edge.

The reason you marinate guys like Vorobyev and Bunnaman is that it takes time to develop the instincts to compensate for average speed, and to get stronger and learn how to use a big body to gain an edge. The really talented players can learn on the job in the NHL, the lesser talents need that AHL time to polish their game.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't feel too strongly one way or the other about Pimp. I'm very much neutral on this one.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Rubtsov stays healthy, Vorobyev wouldn't sniff the NHL this year.
Vorobyev wasn't a dominant AHL player, and he's not some uber talent who just needed a little experience before making the jump.
Guys like Vorobyev should marinate in the AHL until they show they're too good for that level.

Bailey is a good example, he played 8 games at age 21, 32 at 22, 12 at 23 for Buffalo, now he gets a shot here, and he's got more talent than Vorobyev. But he never took the next step in the AHL, and has never produced in the NHL. If the Flyers were deeper, he'd stay in the AHL until he showed he was committed to filling a bottom six role (i.e. willing to forecheck, skate hard and be defensively responsible).

Varone is a bit different, AHL MVP at 27, nothing more to prove, he's getting a shot but I doubt he's in their long-term plans, rather, he's being rewarded, but I expect him back in the AHL, making $200K a year to be a mentor on the Phantoms.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
At the AHL level, Marody didn't do anything in a 6 game cameo in Edmonton.
He just turned 22 in December, has 2 USHL and 3 college seasons under his belt.
39g 11-16 27 at ES in Bakersfield is really good production at that level, the kid knows how to score.
He should be back in Edmonton at some point, given how thin they are at forward.

Good move for both teams, Marody was behind a lot of other prospects in the Flyer organization, if they felt he was a tough sign, turning a 6th rd pick into a 3rd rd pick wasn't the worse outcome. And with all their draft picks the last few years, contract room is scarce.
Marody has average speed and isn't that big 6'0 190, on a team with players like Vorobyev and Bunnaman in the system, and Laczynski, Allison, Strome, etc. who should be in the AHL next year. And Laberge just returned to action.
Flyers have too many bottom six types, what they need are top end forwards, especially with speed.

In Edmonton, Marody has a chance to play with fast, skilled forwards who can set him up with scoring chances.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Marody at 39 pts in 39 games, is what Allison and Laczynski could have been looking at if they left school and were AHL bound. We all would have been quite happy with that from them.

But Marody for a 3rd was good value for us given how many kids we have with higher upsides than him.

Others will get dealt too at some point to keep the pipeline full from the backend....meaning future drafts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad