Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

tenor.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
With Hakstol gone, Hagg is the only thing keeping Striiker going (well, there's Weal, but he's been benched).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hakstol isn't the villain he's made out to be, he didn't deep six this team. He was the wrong coach for the wrong team. He coaches a style that's a lot more fun when you win, because it can be excruciating to watch when you lose, but does help less talented teams to remain competitive. Hextall seemed to like that style, sorta Kings' East where you play tight, physical defense and count on a few stars to score.

This has been one of those years when everything goes wrong, same happened to Lavi in 2012-13 when he lost his defense, or Q last year when he lost his starting goalie and his team got old.

The fortunate thing that so far, this season could turn out to be a blessing, because without the pressure to win, they can play and audition a number of prospects, move out some veterans they'd otherwise keep around for a stretch run, and set the team up for a big June (additional trade assets and cap room, and more information about prospects).

It comes down to Fletcher's ability to take advantage of this opportunity and turn this into a one step back, two step forward situation, and then pick the right HC to guide them forward (my preference is Keefe, because I want to see something like Vegas with more skill, or a more physical version of Toronto/TB).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Nah, for his first job he should have had a young team doing a real rebuild where he could grow with the team and wouldn't have to win over a veteran core skeptical of a college coach. And one built around size more than speed.

Hextall had a tough sell, what established veteran coach would have wanted this job in 2015, cap hell, no prospects, just enough talent to set you up to get fired. So it was a gamble or a second tier retread. And I'll go with the gamble over a retread I know can't get the job done.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Nah, for his first job he should have had a young team doing a real rebuild where he could grow with the team and wouldn't have to win over a veteran core skeptical of a college coach. And one built around size more than speed.

Hextall had a tough sell, what established veteran coach would have wanted this job in 2015, cap hell, no prospects, just enough talent to set you up to get fired. So it was a gamble or a second tier retread. And I'll go with the gamble over a retread I know can't get the job done.

More horse shit. He did everything in his power to play vets over kids.

I feel bad we could not give him an all star team so we could properly judge him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's 18, not every 18 year old Swedish draft pick makes their junior team.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Ginning is going to make the Swedish team? But I thought he sucked.

Making a WJC team’s roster is just as much about politics as it is “good play.” Ginning has previous international experience with Sweden. That’s a factor for him making the team. There’s a long list of players who made their WJC team who hadn’t been playing all that great prior to the tournament. Ginning=JAG and I don’t see him amounting to anything above a #6 in the NHL. Fletch should trade him to a size queen GM.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hagg is a NHL starting defenseman, and will be for the next decade.

There are probably 50 guys like Hagg who start for teams, as he gets more experience he'll become the solid, reliable stay at home veteran that you find on every top team.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Something to watch this spring and summer with Fletcher:

Hextall was drafting for a defensive oriented scheme, with an emphasis on hockey IQ and two way play over speed and skill.
Fletcher has stated he wants a fast, aggressive forechecking team.

Now I don't expect a huge shift in emphasis, but they may move away from some players in both the draft and the AHL, specifically smart players with limited speed like Strome and Vorobyev. It's not that I'm expecting an influx of 170 lb speedsters, but maybe a shift from average to above average speed. Hextall didn't draft many slugs, and I think Fletcher does value defense, so the shift won't be dramatic.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Fazleev was rumored to be going to the KHL in preseason. I wonder if Hexy refused to terminate his contract? Pure speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad