Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
What, no comments on Torts?

HlDopGf.jpg

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Canada takes like 1 maybe 2 draft eligible players a year at the most. People really overestimate the potential impact these guys typically make especially the non-late birthday ones.

Reactions: Tripod

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
What's the scoop on Mike Vecchione? I couldn't score Phantoms streams last year to see him for myself but what's the deal with him as a prospect? I don't imagine we signed him just to get lost in the mix of names already, but maybe. What sort of chance does he have at a roster spot this year? Also makes me wonder about a guy like Bardreau, another guy I have a limited read on. If these guys aren't knocking on the door right now, will they just get passed by over the next year or so?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Vecchione didn't impress me, it's not that he's bad, it's just that in all the Phantom games I've watched, he's never jumped out at me.
Ron was saying really nice things about Bardreau last fall, then he got injured, played well when he returned, but is more of a defensive/forechecker type than MV.
Both will get a shot at TC, this is probably their last chance as the kids start arriving in LHV this season.

Reactions: tymed

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He was basically signed to be an option for the 4th line.

We have many better options so nothing will come of it, but it was worth a shot.

The chances of him ever ending up in the NHL are pretty slim, unless there’s a ton of injuries.

Reactions: tymed and Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, MV outplayed NAK in the playoffs, so he has a shot at 4RW, though NAK would be a better choice if it's going to be a forechecking type line with Raffl and Laughton.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
2018 - None
2017 - None
2016 - F Julien Gauthier
2015 - F Connor McDavid & F Lawson Crouse
2014 - D Aaron Ekblad & F Connor McDavid
2013 - F Nathan McKinnon & F Jonathan Drouin
2012 - None
2011 - F Sean Couturier

That’s all the players that have played as draft eligible players for Canada this decade at the WJC’s (in McDavid’s case he even played in his D-1 season as well). Couturier & Gauthier were both late birthday’s. They lose multiple players to the NHL every year so they’re usually under “worst case” scenarios.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
What's the scoop on Mike Vecchione? I couldn't score Phantoms streams last year to see him for myself but what's the deal with him as a prospect? I don't imagine we signed him just to get lost in the mix of names already, but maybe. What sort of chance does he have at a roster spot this year? Also makes me wonder about a guy like Bardreau, another guy I have a limited read on. If these guys aren't knocking on the door right now, will they just get passed by over the next year or so?

The one thing that MV can provide that none other of the 4th liner option guys bring is energy and aggressive-relentless forechecking. He isn’t as skilled as NAK or Voro, but when you consider the role of a 4th line winger, I think he is just as good of a fit to start the year with the big club. Then let NAK and Voro get top 6 min and develop and call them up whenever

Imo MV > Leier and Weal

Giroux-Couts-TK
JVR-Patrick-Voracek
Lindblom-Weal-Simmonds
Raffl-Laughton-MV

I had Frost as 3C till the horrible summer showcase. I don’t think Weal is the answer by any means but I’d rather see him get one more chance then see Lethera or Weise again. Plus Lindblom can hopefully cover up some of the defensive responsibility, and then shelter Weal and Simmonds 5v5, while having 3 other lines that can play all situations

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Vecchione isn’t as good as Weal. He might be better than Leier but he’s older believe it or not.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Like Weiss, Vecchione signing was unnecessary. He may never get s shot at the big club if he doesn't make it out of camp. Bardreau is in the same boat.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You don't know who is going to step up, you always want as much depth in the organization as possible, within the constraints set by the salary cap and the 50 contract limit.
MV and Bardreau may not make the team, and their upside may be AHL roster filler, but we won't know until training camp.
And having them available provides insurance, not just for the fourth line, but the 13th/14th forward and in case of injury "break glass" depth on the Phantoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->