Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Phantoms roster will be full with adding carter hart,bunnyman,twarynski,laberge, and possibly David kase if he comes over.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
might be time to start thinking about thinning the heard to make some room.
That will happen as Hextall and Co identify who has a possible future and who doesn't. Cousins, Madsen, Marody have all been moved for futures.

But there is also safety in numbers. The more kids you have playing, the more chance you have of "hitting". Or as we saw this year with goalies....Stolarz lost opportunity was Lyon's gain.

I look at it, that you let them battle it out and the best will rise to the top. It will be nice to finally have internal competition for jobs. Or better yet, have legit AHL call ups ready to help us when injuries occur.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
That will happen as Hextall and Co identify who has a possible future and who doesn't. Cousins, Madsen, Marody have all been moved for futures.

But there is also safety in numbers. The more kids you have playing, the more chance you have of "hitting". Or as we saw this year with goalies....Stolarz lost opportunity was Lyon's gain.

I look at it, that you let them battle it out and the best will rise to the top. It will be nice to finally have internal competition for jobs. Or better yet, have legit AHL call ups ready to help us when injuries occur.
i'm guessing the ahl guys with no shot at being in the nhl will have to go soon to make room to develop prospects as their just isn't enough room for all of them

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Given the volume of complaint about playing guys like Lehtera, this should not be understated.

Having a bunch of solid guys in the AHL, a 2 hour drive from the WFC, means you have real options - and I don't think it hurts Ron's feelings to be able to drive up there and watch his prospects in person a dozen times a year or more.

Vorobyev, if he doesn't make the team, will be available at any time. If the light goes on for Rubtsov, if Friedman continues to improve . . .

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Every year we get o couple of free agent invites to the prospect camp coming up . Does anybody have some favorite they would like to see invited ?

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
If the light goes on for Rubtsov

I don't get this. The guy plays a positionally sound two-way game and can contribute offensively. If he comes a Jere Lehtinen-type forward, that's a win in my books. He doesn't look daft or stupid on the ice and he seems to be one of the most selfless players for his team. I really don't understand the Rubtsov dislike by some. If you take a look at what scouts said about Rubtsov when he was drafted, they all said he was the best two-way player from his draft year. Some of the scouting reports include:

The Draft Analyst | Draft Profile: German Rubtsov
https://thehockeywriters.com/german-rubtsov-the-next-ones-nhl-2016-draft-prospect-profile/
German Rubtsov
2016 Draft Profile: German Rubtsov is a physically gifted centre with serious potential
German Rubtsov Scouting Report: 2016 NHL Draft #21

I'm sorry, but it pisses me off when I read things about Rubtsov like "if the light goes on" or "waste of a pick". He wasn't a waste and it's clear from every scouting report out there, the light is on. He is a defensively committed forward with excellent hockey IQ and skill. He is EXACTLY the type of player the Flyers need. He will more than likely end up being a legitimate shut down forward with 15 to 20 goal upside and Selke-caliber defense. He'll never be a big scorer as it's clear that high scoring isn't a part of his game. However, he is offensively competent. I've said this before about third line centers (especially when people were saying Couturier was a disappointment offensively), but they have the hardest job in hockey. There's no glamour, no glitz and they're often stuck doing the dirty and grunt work for the team. That's going to be Rubtsov's role and he'll probably excel at it.

Once again, I hate the notion that first round picks have to PPG + players in junior in order to be considered a 'success'. If Rubstov becomes an elite two-way forward with 50 to 60 point upside, even better. However, I'm more than content with a guy who's upside is 15 to 20 goals, 40 to 45 points with elite two-way play and can shut down the opposition. Those guys are incredibly hard to find and aren't the 'dime a dozen' some seem to think they are.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't get this. The guy plays a positionally sound two-way game and can contribute offensively. If he comes a Jere Lehtinen-type forward, that's a win in my books. He doesn't look daft or stupid on the ice and he seems to be one of the most selfless players for his team. I really don't understand the Rubtsov dislike by some. If you take a look at what scouts said about Rubtsov when he was drafted, they all said he was the best two-way player from his draft year. Some of the scouting reports include:

The Draft Analyst | Draft Profile: German Rubtsov
https://thehockeywriters.com/german-rubtsov-the-next-ones-nhl-2016-draft-prospect-profile/
German Rubtsov
2016 Draft Profile: German Rubtsov is a physically gifted centre with serious potential
German Rubtsov Scouting Report: 2016 NHL Draft #21

I'm sorry, but it pisses me off when I read things about Rubtsov like "if the light goes on" or "waste of a pick". He wasn't a waste and it's clear from every scouting report out there, the light is on. He is a defensively committed forward with excellent hockey IQ and skill. He is EXACTLY the type of player the Flyers need. He will more than likely end up being a legitimate shut down forward with 15 to 20 goal upside and Selke-caliber defense. He'll never be a big scorer as it's clear that high scoring isn't a part of his game. However, he is offensively competent. I've said this before about third line centers (especially when people were saying Couturier was a disappointment offensively), but they have the hardest job in hockey. There's no glamour, no glitz and they're often stuck doing the dirty and grunt work for the team. That's going to be Rubtsov's role and he'll probably excel at it.

Once again, I hate the notion that first round picks have to PPG + players in junior in order to be considered a 'success'. If Rubstov becomes an elite two-way forward with 50 to 60 point upside, even better. However, I'm more than content with a guy who's upside is 15 to 20 goals, 40 to 45 points with elite two-way play and can shut down the opposition. Those guys are incredibly hard to find and aren't the 'dime a dozen' some seem to think they are.

Youre really overselling him based on the play I saw from him this past season. Ill eat a sombrero if Rubstov becomes a 50-60 point NHLer. Hell id be shocked if he did that in the AHL. Hes simply too passive offensively. Even your more timid expectations of 15-20, 40-45 seem unlikely. I think a Laughton type is more likely.

Reactions: Tripod

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm a Rubtsov fan. Always have been, still am. I don't forget what he looked like, in terms of scoring chops, in his draft and draft+1 years. It's possible this year was an anomaly, though certain issues pertaining to aggressiveness and tapping into his skill have always been there to a degree. But he has been better in the past, and hopefully whatever was hampering him can go away.

If he ends up a defensively responsible bottom 6 player, that's valuable. I want to see him as a pro and give him time. Having said that, they didn't draft him as a 35-40 point player (and he might not hit that usage depending). They drafted him as a 2C type who did have 50-60 point potential. Think Ryan O'Reilly-esque. Shouldn't forget we drafted him before we were gifted Nolan Patrick and reached (!) on Frost, who both have top 6 potential minimum. We were operating in a world where Rubtsov was going to be a shutdown 3C and perhaps eventually 2C. If he can even do the former, now at wing likely, we'd all be content.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Rubtsov just handed in a pretty disappointing D+2 season, there’s really no ways around it. Next year is going to be a huge year for him.

Injuries may have played a part in Germans production during the regular season but in the playoffs German played a big part of Acadie–Bathurst winning the memorial cup on both ends of the ice.

Reactions: Adtar02

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
He plays a pro game. Short shifts defensively responsible. He has a good shot, moves the puck well he's just not flashy with high end speed. This kid was great in Mem cup plays his position to the T. His upside is big if he is focused and the team utilizes him properly.

Reactions: Adtar02 and renberg

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
i'm wondering how much input the flyers have in his development useage and expectations of his play. it may be they were asked to play or develop him to be a defensive 3rd of 4th line player or what they want or have judged he will be in the nhl. maybe he is another he won't score in the nhl guy acording to hextall

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
i'm wondering how much input the flyers have in his development useage and expectations of his play. it may be they were asked to play or develop him to be a defensive 3rd of 4th line player or what they want or have judged he will be in the nhl. maybe he is another he won't score in the nhl guy acording to hextall

Pro teams have no influence over how Juniors teams use their players.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
YOU MISSED THE JOKE, PAL.
BIT4TTM.gif

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Wonder if Gordon will have German at center or start him on the wing and eventually move him to C.

They currently have Varone, Vecchione, Vorobyev and Knight as their top centers, but I think one of the middle two will be on the Flyers next season.

However, Bardreau, Fazleev and Bunnaman are also options to play center. So Rubtsov starting on the wing seems likely.

Reactions: Flyerfan13

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
They currently have Varone, Vecchione, Vorobyev and Knight as their top centers, but I think one of the middle two will be on the Flyers next season.

However, Bardreau, Fazleev and Bunnaman are also options to play center. So Rubtsov starting on the wing seems likely.
Isn't Fazleev heading back to Europe?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm sorry, but it pisses me off when I read things about Rubtsov like "if the light goes on" or "waste of a pick".

Rubtsov doesn't have to be a top 6 scorer to have value, but he's a 1st rd pick, you want at the least that he become a solid two way 3rd line LW/C.
And that means scoring in the 30s at ES.
If he can do that, with solid defense and PK play, he's got a lot of value, even if he never becomes a star.
But if he's a 1.2 PP/60 4th line type, even with good defense, that's a disappointment from a 1st rd pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad