Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Sukhachev (sp?) just looks so tiny in net. They're really going to ride this guy at the big tournament? I'm feeling more optimistic about possible Ustimenko playing time after watching this performance.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Lol...that Russian poster who hates Russians going to the CHL is already freaking out on the main boards, International Tournament.
This isn’t their A team but that game was non-competitive. Last year’s team wasn’t good either.

20 save shutout for Hart.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Question for @Magua or anyone else who has seen a lot of Morgan Frost & Robert Thomas.

I see Bobby Mac has Robert Thomas marked as practically a lock for the WJC team. What's the big seperation between the two? Frost isn't even getting mentioned as a candidate anywhere. Other than Thomas being thicker, I'm not sure what makes him so much better.

I've been watching some Frost lately and am pretty impressed. From what I gather, Thomas plays a similar style. There raw stats from this year and last year look similar as well. Someone enlighten me please.

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Question for @Magua or anyone else who has seen a lot of Morgan Frost & Robert Thomas.

I see Bobby Mac has Robert Thomas marked as practically a lock for the WJC team. What's the big seperation between the two? Frost isn't even getting mentioned as a candidate anywhere. Other than Thomas being thicker, I'm not sure what makes him so much better.

I've been watching some Frost lately and am pretty impressed. From what I gather, Thomas plays a similar style. There raw stats look similar as well. Someone enlighten me please.

Their profiles are similar in many ways: detailed centers who make teammates better, dedicated in all 3-zones, unbelievably consistent on a shift-to-shift and game-to-game basis, pass first, off the charts hockey sense, strong skaters with smooth deceptive strides. As you know, Thomas was on my short-list at #13. I watched him as much as any prospect I watched last year......but I really liked Frost too because he gave me similar vibes while focusing on him later in the season. I don't think there is/was that big of a gap between them and they are similar long-term.

You hit on the major difference: Thomas is just more physically developed right now. He's got 1-2 inches and 20 lbs on Frost pretty easily. As we saw in pre-season, Frost didn't even make it to main camp, whereas Thomas really impressed big time and was just barely sent down. There's a strong chance he's in the NHL next year. Could they end up as similar players down the line? Sure. But Thomas is closer in most every way. Worth mentioning is that SSM is still a strong team besides Frost. London is a dumpster fire right now that Thomas is almost singlehandedly putting the blaze out, pacing for that hallowed 100 point D+1 season.

It makes sense to me why they'd consider Thomas a lock this year: he might not have the chance to be on it next year. He went to Canada's camp over the summer too, and in the Showcase games I saw he looked solid. So, he already had a leg up on Frost over the summer. He's more advanced than Frost, but MoFro will get his shot next year.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Flyers still have a legit shot at getting 5 players into the tournament. Hart (Canada), Hogberg (Sweden), Rubtsov (Russia), Sushko (Belarus), & Ustimenko (Russia).

Next year Cates (USA), Frost (Canada), Lycksell (Sweden), Ratcliffe (Canada), Strome (Canada), Sushko (Belarus), & Ustimenko (Russia) would be in their last year eligibility for the tournament. Belarus would have to not get demoted in this upcoming WJC. So that could prevent Sushko from making back to back appearances at the top level.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Hey guys, just stay watching but Danick Martel is ripping the AHL to start. A goal per game and leading the league in Goals. Does he have an NHL future? Thanks in advance?

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Hey guys, just stay watching but Danick Martel is ripping the AHL to start. A goal per game and leading the league in Goals. Does he have an NHL future? Thanks in advance?

We have a guy on here who is ... "excited" about size, to put it very mildly - if a man's whole body could be erect like a redwood tree, that is how excited he would be, and he doesn't consider anyone under 6'3" 230 pounds to be able to take care of himself walking down a street, much less on a rink - and he takes a lot of our mental and emotional energy to corral on here - so if you see a lot of jokes about size, that is why.

I'd say the honest answer to your question is that no one really knows. We already have Weal and Konecny as undersized wingers with the big club and I'd guess most people would say (even without the jokes) that Martel would be a midget too far, but we could use some more scoring. Lehtera moves like he is moonwalking in quicksand on broken skate blades, and Weise is no prize winner, outside of rodeos and other horse competitions, so we could conceivably make room. The brass seems to have a tendency to not want to bring guys up midseason too often - they tend to have guys make it out of camp more often, and the ones who don't have to go down and "put in the work" in the AHL. So I'm not too sure what his chances are. There are several guys on here who watch him all the time and could better speak about whether he should be given a chance or not.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The Flyers still have a legit shot at getting 5 players into the tournament. Hart (Canada), Hogberg (Sweden), Rubtsov (Russia), Sushko (Belarus), & Ustimenko (Russia).

Next year Cates (USA), Frost (Canada), Lycksell (Sweden), Ratcliffe (Canada), Strome (Canada), Sushko (Belarus), & Ustimenko (Russia) would be in their last year eligibility for the tournament. Belarus would have to not get demoted in this upcoming WJC. So that could prevent Sushko from making back to back appearances at the top level.
And to put that into perspective, only the Flyers last year had more than 5 guys at the WJC....we had 9. So having 5 guys could be near the top again this year.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Wade's weekend...

32.WAYNES_WORLD_1992.jpg

Wade's World! Wade's World! Party time! Excellent!

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
I think Mike Vecchione has earned a early callup to replace Patrick on the current Flyer roster!
Inserted for RAFFL
Laughton has been a nice surprise in the middle....so....The LAW FIRM 4th line might read like
this...Laughton,Leier and Vecchione...

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think Mike Vecchione has earned a early callup to replace Patrick!
Inserted for Lehtera at the center spot or in for Raffl(providing he can play the right wing gig)
Laughton has been a nice surprise in the middle....so....The LAW FIRM 4th line might read like
this...Laughton,Leier and Vecchione

There is no such thing as merit promotions in this organization since Hextall took over.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
There is no such thing as merit promotions in this organization since Hextall took over.

And that is really dumb. But as a re-building team, guys should get promoted thru the year if/when we manage to trade guys off.

Flip, Read and Raffl are all guys who should be moved by the deadline...Vecch and Lindblom as replacements.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
And that is really dumb. But as a re-building team, guys should get promoted thru the year if/when we manage to trade guys off.

Flip, Read and Raffl are all guys who should be moved by the deadline...Vecch and Lindblom as replacements.

Read isn't getting moved. He isn't worth 2 nickels at this point. Raffl is probably worth more to the team than his trade value. Flip is the only guy I can see getting moved unless some team is insane enough to take on Weise for added playoff truculence.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You never know how a GM might think adding a UFA like Read could help for the playoffs for depth. We certainlt have seen worse guys get traded. We just won't get much of a return.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think Patrick has to become the 2C before they trade Filppula. Or G goes back to center.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think Patrick has to become the 2C before they trade Filppula. Or G goes back to center.
If we are a non-playoff team come the deadline, then who cares. Trade Flip for a pick. Bring up Vech or Vorobyev the rest of the season for experience....or even split the time.

Reactions: Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad