Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. [mid-March 2021 edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
One interesting decision would be who would you put on the LW with Frost next year.

I see G - Couts staying together, G at center was an emergency patch, but you could see him wear down. RW to be determined
Farabee - Hayes - Allison look so good together that they may become a permanent thing.

So do you want to create a "speed" line around Frost and TK?
JVR would be an odd fit, Lindblom would give them someone to do the dirty work, but I could see a trade for a fast LW as a possibility - if you have a Laughton - Laczynski - Patrick fourth line, it would be more about matchups and less about traditional line rotations.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
In looking over those drafts from @Larry44 post, you can see how consecutive years with successful drafting can really give a team a boost. Look at 82,83, and 84. The Flyers landed Ron Hextall, Ron Sutter, Dave Brown, Cookie Dvorak, and Todd Bergen (who only played a little before walking away from the game to become a golf pro, but had a great deal of offensive ability) in 82. Peter Zezel, Rich Tocchet, Derrick Smith and Pelle Eklund in 83, and Scott Mellanby and Jeff Chychrun in 84 (the weakest by far of the three years, and from there it was down hill mostly again. 1978 and 79 set up the vets or trade assets for that crew too with Behn Willson, Ken Linseman, and Glen Cochrane (and Mark Taylor) in 78, and more importantly, Brian Propp, Pelle Lindbergh, Lindsay Carson, and Thomas Ericksson in 79, a truly great draft year. That is a good 14 players or so who made up the bulk of a Stanley Cup Challenger (most coming from 3 years - 79, 82, and 83).

Reactions: Larry44

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
One interesting decision would be who would you put on the LW with Frost next year.

I see G - Couts staying together, G at center was an emergency patch, but you could see him wear down. RW to be determined
Farabee - Hayes - Allison look so good together that they may become a permanent thing.

So do you want to create a "speed" line around Frost and TK?
JVR would be an odd fit, Lindblom would give them someone to do the dirty work, but I could see a trade for a fast LW as a possibility - if you have a Laughton - Laczynski - Patrick fourth line, it would be more about matchups and less about traditional line rotations.
Laughton is a speed player, with inconsistent skill though (the skill is there, it just appears sporadically). TK probably belongs with Coots and G. Voracek needs to plug in somewhere unless it is Seattle.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You also have to be patient, Sharp was drafted in 2001, didn't have his breakout season until 2007-08 when he was 26, and didn't hit his stride until the next season. Played half a season at 22, was meh, back to the AHL, at 24, had 7 ES points in 22 games playing 7:43, then was traded to Chicago, had 18 points in 50g playing 16:19. Next season, 26 ES points in 80g, breakout season 20-19 in 80g.
So marginal at 22, bottom six from 24-25, top six from 26 forward.

So when you look at players like Lindblom (24), Patrick (22), Frost (21), don't assume they'll struggle forever.

Reactions: renberg and Larry44

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yes, I am worried about that as their first will yield a very good prospect in all likelihood. They will probably be picking in the 12-14 range, which is the end of the sweet spot for the draft.

Conversely, that's a much more valuable trade asset than a pick in the 20s, equivalent to say #20 & #45.
So it can be the centerpiece if you wanted to trade for a top player.

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm willing to trade it for a top player in his early to mid 20s, but not a player 30 or older.
You get a 24 year old player for our 1st, a 2nd tier prospect and a veteran on the roster (for cap purposes), I'm fine.
At some point you have to stop stockpiling players for five years from now.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
I'm willing to trade it for a top player in his early to mid 20s, but not a player 30 or older.
You get a 24 year old player for our 1st, a 2nd tier prospect and a veteran on the roster (for cap purposes), I'm fine.
At some point you have to stop stockpiling players for five years from now.
We also can't keep managing the roster for this core. It is not good enough. Now if the G & V play all the time like they did on that 3rd goal last night, then maybe, but they don't. Maybe I'm not being fair but at $8+ MM in a flat cap world, you lose your right to have a night off

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Conversely, that's a much more valuable trade asset than a pick in the 20s, equivalent to say #20 & #45.
So it can be the centerpiece if you wanted to trade for a top player.
They have a lot of decisions to make, and I hope trading the first pick isn't one of them.

As per the excellent overview of potentially available talent in the Draft Thread by @IronMarshal, there are a LOT of really intriguing players that will be available in the 14-16 range.

Prospect Info: - 2021 NHL Draft Thread Vol. 1

Of course, it would be better to win the lottery again and pick 1 0r 2!

Reactions: phil162888

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
There has been nothing out there that indicates that JOB is going to sign with another organization. Too many people are panicking over Flyer draft choices signing elsewhere. Just because Kalynuk saw that he’d never break through here and went to Chicago doesn’t mean that others are going to bail. There are potential openings up front here for JOB and Cates.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Yeah, even when they had two first rounders they kept both.

At least we will get a compensatory 2nd rounder when JOB signs in Pittsburgh.

This has been a historically disappointing season and the "bias for action" has become a necessity, for better (to actually improve the roster) or worse (to do something in an attempt for the team to not be a city-wide afterthought).

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The bias for action is about to screw us and make everything worse.

A drastic roster change is unnecessary, but it's the only thing possible since he's too stupid to fix the real problems that he caused.

It wouldn't be at all surprising for next year to be worse than this one.

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yup....not going to worry about roster spots right now given we don't know who they will expose, who will get taken, and what moves Fletch is going to make.

I expect a "shakeup".....and I in now way expect my reaction to be "wow....well done Fletch".

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
The bias for action is about to screw us and make everything worse.

A drastic roster change is unnecessary, but it's the only thing possible since he's too stupid to fix the real problems that he caused.

It wouldn't be at all surprising for next year to be worse than this one.

Yup....not going to worry about roster spots right now given we don't know who they will expose, who will get taken, and what moves Fletch is going to make.

I expect a "shakeup".....and I in now way expect my reaction to be "wow....well done Fletch".

Maybe. Probably. I'm not as pessimistic as you, Striiker; probably more nihilistic at this point. There are definitely some good moves to be made and the need of some teams to expose good players may shake out a deal that otherwise wouldn't be possible. My expectations are low for a "well done, Fletch." I can't see Fletcher not overpaying for an upgrade to the lineup, particularly as his number on every other GM's caller ID will invoke a pretty Pavlovian response. I am hoping he doesn't end up overpaying for a worse player. He has a very difficult offseason ahead of him and one can only imagine the names being put forward by the coaching staff's wish list.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Maybe. Probably. I'm not as pessimistic as you, Striiker; probably more nihilistic at this point. There are definitely some good moves to be made and the need of some teams to expose good players may shake out a deal that otherwise wouldn't be possible. My expectations are low for a "well done, Fletch." I can't see Fletcher not overpaying for an upgrade to the lineup, particularly as his number on every other GM's caller ID will invoke a pretty Pavlovian response. I am hoping he doesn't end up overpaying for a worse player. He has a very difficult offseason ahead of him and one can only imagine the names being put forward by the coaching staff's wish list.

At this point, anything other than a complete disaster of an offseason would be a pleasant surprise to me. My opinion of Fletcher's and AV's competence really couldn't get much lower. Overpayments and targeting the wrong players are the standard, anything positive is an extreme outlier. My worry isn't even that he'll overpay for an upgrade... I'm worried he's going to overpay for a downgrade after removing good players to make room.

And to be clear, I'm not saying that there aren't moves that can/should be made to improve the team. I don't think the roster is perfect and there's multiple players who I could bear to lose or actively want gone. We just don't have the people capable of doing it properly in charge.

This could very well be the offseason that tanks this franchise for the foreseeable future if they get their way. And I don't think that's hyperbole at all.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
At this point, anything other than a complete disaster of an offseason would be a pleasant surprise to me. My opinion of Fletcher's and AV's competence really couldn't get much lower. Overpayments and targeting the wrong players are the standard, anything positive is an extreme outlier. My worry isn't even that he'll overpay for an upgrade... I'm worried he's going to overpay for a downgrade after removing good players to make room.

And to be clear, I'm not saying that there aren't moves that can/should be made to improve the team. I don't think the roster is perfect and there's multiple players who I could bear to lose or actively want gone. We just don't have the people capable of doing it properly in charge.

This could very well be the offseason that tanks this franchise for the foreseeable future if they get their way. And I don't think that's hyperbole at all.

iu

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;) I'll definitely be watching through my fingers at what Fletcher and Co. are able to swing. I'd like a swing for the fences approach (Ellis, Ekholm) but without gutting the roster and/or Phantoms. Yes, I'd also my own unicorn steed with a cappucino machine on the saddle. I think I am also aware of the significant limitations in how much I know about the much-bandied-about names, so while I think Josh Manson (for example) could be a plus addition, I haven't seen a second of his play this season as to whether he is all healed up.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You got to give to get.
Striiker wants to trade Hagg, Braun and Laughton for Eichel. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->