Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. [mid-March 2021 edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
If Patrick wants out, it has to be due to misuse by AV and his staff. From the outside , the club seems to have been patient with his injuries and re-habs. Hextall was good about dealing with the surgeries. Fletcher hasn’t indicated anything but support for NP’s migraine troubles. If it’s AV and Therrien getting after him with their sarcastic mouths and usage, that just isn’t acceptable.
If this rumor of NP wanting out is true, Fletcher needs to iron this out. The franchise doesn’t need another player and family versus management dust up like it had with the Lindroses. Patrick is too valuable to the organization to mess over.
This can't be true..... there's no way someone who's underperformed as much as Nolan has could demand a trade..... if he does he's a punk and a complete catastrophic pick.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Dont be so sure. I can still see Patrick traded this summer if the rumors about his camp wanting a fresh start are true.

What rumors?

Most of this article is base speculation. He must be unhappy, they must be unhappy, therefore a trade is going to happen.

NHL trade rumors: Flyers shopping Nolan Patrick 'hard' ahead of deadline

Flyers have been patient with Patrick, he'll sign a low cost RFA bridge contract, and he'll keep working on getting his game back.
He's not expensive so they can park him in the bottom six until he shows he's regained his mojo.
Who is offering anything approaching his upside? And anything less than a top prospect or a 1st rd pick isn't worth the bother, so we'll land a bottom six player who'll help in five years? What do you think a later 2nd rd pick is worth?

Patrick has great metrics, he's just not finishing - which is the best reason to be patient - guys with this profile often break out when they get a little puck luck, build their confidence and it snowballs.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Could of had:

Makar: 31 pts in 31 games
Tolvanen: 20 pts in 32 games
Robertson: 35 pts in 40 games

Have:
Patrick -8 points in 42 games
Frost-0 points
Ratcliffe-0 points

4th rd picked Strome and Sushko b2b....Batherson taken later: 28 pts in 46 games

what could have been. We can only pray Patrick and Frost rebound next year.

Side note...it's pretty crazy in a way that we are going to protect a 8 point player over 2 of our top 3 scorers for the ED.
This is definite proof that calling drafts successes the day after said draft is ridiculous. Until they lace them up with men opinions don’t really matter much.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Kyper mentioned it and Friedman also did. Mentioned that both parties may think it’s beneficial to start fresh elsewhere. Kyper even mentioned they were shopping him hard during the trade line.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
STOP DRAFTING PLAYERS WHO WANTS TO GO THE COLLEGE ROUTE OMG.

This isnt rocket science!
We did this because at one point we had too many prospects that would have had blocked paths in the AHL. You gain an extra year through the college system.

It was a totally reasonable approach. So you're right, its not rocket science.

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
We did this because at one point we had too many prospect thats would have blocked paths in the AHL. You gain an extra year through the college system.

The Flyers admin are experts in rocket science. Unfortunately, it is more Challenger than Apollo.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
College players taken in the first few rounds who are for real almost always leave early, Allison was an exception, probably due to injury.
College players taken in the later rounds are like European players, you can delay their contract and stay under the 50 contract limit.
Drafting Kalynuk and losing him isn't exactly a disaster, the odds a 7th rd CHL player makes it are almost zero, so at least Kalynuk didn't block signing anyone else.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
I saw the Phantoms game last night. Sandstrom was a disaster. The PK was horrible. The PP was predictable. Defensive lapses out the wazoo. Slow on the few 2 on 1s. Sound very eerily similar to a NHL team I heard about in Philly? There is no one, and I mean no one NHL ready.
Or fit seamlessly into the Flyers system.....

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If Patrick wants out, it has to be due to misuse by AV and his staff. From the outside , the club seems to have been patient with his injuries and re-habs. Hextall was good about dealing with the surgeries. Fletcher hasn’t indicated anything but support for NP’s migraine troubles. If it’s AV and Therrien getting after him with their sarcastic mouths and usage, that just isn’t acceptable.
If this rumor of NP wanting out is true, Fletcher needs to iron this out. The franchise doesn’t need another player and family versus management dust up like it had with the Lindroses. Patrick is too valuable to the organization to mess over.

Is he even though? That's very unclear right now.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I love how since Kase started the season as their best player... once he was sent back from Flyers...

bottom six mainly playing with guys like Mueller, Wilson, Laberge and Ratcliffe.

At least now has Willman.

But just bizarre. Mueller (who is a joke) and O'Reilly get the pick of wingers and offensive situations.

Does not help the Phantoms. And since Kase is not going to be at C in NHL anyway how is it helping him?

1st line on the Czech national team to 4th line on a "fine" AHL team in a few months. Got to look out for O'Reilly, Fitzgerald, Mueller etc.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
I saw the Phantoms game last night. Sandstrom was a disaster. The PK was horrible. The PP was predictable. Defensive lapses out the wazoo. Slow on the few 2 on 1s. Sound very eerily similar to a NHL team I heard about in Philly? There is no one, and I mean no one NHL ready.

They haven’t played a game in like 2 weeks and were coming off a layoff due to COVID protocol. I was expecting slop and slop is what happened.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I love how since Kase started the season as their best player... once he was sent back from Flyers...

bottom six mainly playing with guys like Mueller, Wilson, Laberge and Ratcliffe.

But just bizarre. Mueller (who is a joke) and O'Reilly get the pick of wingers and offensive situations.

Does not help the Phantoms. And since Kase is not going to be at C in NHL anyway how is it helping him?

1st line on the Czech national team to 4th line on a "fine" AHL team in a few months. Got to look out for O'Reilly, Fitzgerald, Mueller etc.

Until problems like this are remedied, the org is going nowhere. Just another symptom of a larger problem.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
We did this because at one point we had too many prospects that would have had blocked paths in the AHL. You gain an extra year through the college system.

The idea behind it was reasonable. But After a few years we should know better now. Package Draftpicks get higher Draftpicks but dont take college kids. Were loosing most of them for sure

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
OK Ted and Appleyard. But to quote Shakespeare's Hamlet: There is something rotten in the state of Denmark; is it the skill of the players, the coaches attitudes, the coaches system, the hockey IQ of the players, COVID-19, playing too many video games, playing too many games in a short period of time, or is it me, 'cause I take Flyers Hockey as a rite even as a religion?? And when your religion becomes cognitive dissonant, it does create a world not unlike an Alice in Wonderland world.....

Perhaps Capt'n Dave aka Tiger Pants can create a collage of it all........

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany

That describe a lot of our problems. In every other franchise kase would get a fair chance to develop after he showed promising signs in the nhl. This franchise f***s him up cause they can. The coach in the AHLdont like him. OR dont like to play young players.

It seems like a small problem, but when it happened with nearly every prospect other than world beaters its huge problem.

This franchise is too stupid to see talent in front of their own eyes in their own system every year.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
The idea behind it was reasonable. But After a few years we should know better now. Package Draftpicks get higher Draftpicks but dont take college kids. Were loosing most of them for sure
Drafting college kids is not a problem. Allison and Laczynski signed. Kalynuk apparently was always hoping not to be drafted to he could be a UDFA, he got his wish by refusing to sign so they traded him. Marody was the same.

We don't know that this means Noah Cates is not signing. He clearly wants to try to win one more national championship. The Flyers signed his brother, so it's not like the family hates the org, quite the contrary. I expect to sign Noah at the end of his next season, so he can burn a year off his ELC like his big bro did.

Brink, O'Brien and Attard et all, we'll see.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Is he even though? That's very unclear right now.
These days scouting is pretty good. Patrick wasn't predicted to be the top pick in the draft for no reason. He fell off a tad during his last Junior season but playing injured will do that. He's no Alexander Daigle or Pavel Brendl. He's struggled in his first three season but most of that has been due to injury/illness and then this Covid season from hell. Perhaps too much was expected of him too soon. Putting an 18 year old in as the 2C was asking a lot. I'm not ready to write him off and would be loathe to move him out unless he generated a quality return.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I think the problem is simple, Gordon wants to coach in the NHL again, he thinks his ticket is to win at the AHL level, to do see he wants to play veteran AHL types over giving prospects PT and putting them into situations to challenge them as part of their development.

That's why you need a young coach who is good at player development and who knows he'll be judged by how he develops players for the NHL team, not his W/L record.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Chicago probably still has the allure of their cup wins in the eyes of most of these 20-25 year olds that are going there as UFA’s despite being middling at best in recent years. I’d imagine that more so was the pull with Kalynuk than anything.

I think Cates ultimately ends up here next year. I can plausibly see him not feeling like he left on a good not individually last year with his production dipping noticeably.

I doubt the Flyers even attempted to sign O’Brien this year. So I doubt they were rejected there. Maybe they did with Attard. Who knows.

——————

In general I wouldn’t shy away from college kids. As most of the real top advanced kids going highly in the draft generally are gone within a year or two anyway. But I guess it’s something you have to weigh when you make a selection on a guy you think could be a three/four year college guy. Access the cost, benefit, likelihood, etc. for what you invest draft capital in that said player.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
These days scouting is pretty good. Patrick wasn't predicted to be the top pick in the draft for no reason. He fell off a tad during his last Junior season but playing injured will do that. He's no Alexander Daigle or Pavel Brendl. He's struggled in his first three season but most of that has been due to injury/illness and then this Covid season from hell. Perhaps too much was expected of him too soon. Putting an 18 year old in as the 2C was asking a lot. I'm not ready to write him off and would be loathe to move him out unless he generated a quality return.

My biggest issue with Patrick is that we've seen no growth in his game whatsoever. He didn't look any better his sophomore season. He has looked worse this season but I am willing to give him a pass on it for obvious reasons. Next season he needs to take a big step forward, assuming we keep him, or it's time to re-assess his ceiling and possibly move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad