Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. [April-May 2021 edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Who says the Phantoms and Flyers don't play the same system. Up 3-0 on Saturday they win 3-2 but get thoroughly outplayed for the last 2 periods. Today they are up 5-1 after one and now it is 6-5. Neither team is willing to play a full 60 minutes

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
York starting to get comfortable...best game so far and was moving the puck on the PP really well. Even getting more physically involved in his own zone....Millman also played well... kid can move and wasn't backing down playing against men...

Fun player to watch is Brennan Saulnier. Kid plays with a ton of energy. Not bad with the puck and is not afraid of anyone. Filled in a heavyweight a few games ago with some massive lefts and didn't back down from 6'7 Kevin Bahl today. Reminds me of a Matthew Barnaby type only 6'0 170 lbs but tough as nails.... interesting bio Halifax kid played in Alabama, went on to division 2 Swedish league , then ECHL and now Phantoms. 30+ years ago he may have made it lol.. fun to watch someone that will do anything for his team

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Saturday's game the Phantoms admitted they were still getting their legs back from the lay-off. Tonight's lead was a mirage. The Devil's goalie stunk up the joint in the first period. 4 out of the 5 goals were save-able. The Phantom's goalie McIntyre was ok, but bad puck luck caused 2 goals. Witherspoon got walked on and that cost a goal. Millman was manhandled in the corner once and that created a great opportunity that caused a goal. It was a real feisty game in the 2nd and 3rd periods. But Cal O'Reilly recorded his 500th career AHL assist [ top 10 all-time] with a really good pass on the game winner by Sandin [ his 2nd of the game, and he is getting better!] . At the end Devil's were taking crappy penalties and the Phantoms for the last 2 minutes were either 5 0n 4 and even 5 on 3.

Radcliffe is a great PKer. Will he be Top 9? We shall see! ;-)). Even at even strength he is a great shot blocker. Millman will be really good when he adds 20-25 lbs. Foerster was ok but not many good plays. They are without Kase and Wisdom. Hogberg I am not sure why he is out. Day had a good steady game. Willman was not the score sheet, but with his speed, caused a lot of penalties including the last two.

Very uneven, but it was not like they were out played. And it is not like the Phantoms are the Canadiens from 76-79.........I am not sure if they were the best dynasty hockey team......close......I was not sure at the time if Montreal was going to win 20 SCs in a row.......

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
York has shown more creativity in his game so far in his brief pro stint than he did for any consistent stretch at Michigan. Something I was hopeful would come with the faster paced pro game. Encouraging sign. He's an excellent passer.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I would say they are likely signing him while he is there. It would make sense.

Mind you, doing what makes sense....is never guaranteed.
Yes, that would make sense. I'm sure he'll sign and then play for the Phantoms. Really, there are no playoffs, the Phantoms should not be dressing ANY veterans from here on out. Kids only. Let Millman and Hogberg play too.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yes, that would make sense. I'm sure he'll sign and then play for the Phantoms. Really, there are no playoffs, the Phantoms should not be dressing ANY veterans from here on out. Kids only. Let Millman and Hogberg play too.

You always want a smattering of veterans, because otherwise the kids are totally lost and that doesn't help their development.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

I think there are minimum requirements for the number of vets in the lineup.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
What's the deal with Wisdom? I notice he's been out of the lineup for a while, but haven't seen any injury report.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
You always want a smattering of veterans, because otherwise the kids are totally lost and that doesn't help their development.

Oh, for sure. I'd say a minimum of nine veterans with experience is required to keep the kids' heads from falling off at the weirdness of playing hockey for the very first time in their lives. I'm sure they have a stock of Depends on hand for all the pants pissing.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
In general, yes, but for the last handful of games in a season without playoffs, it doesn't matter as much. I'd rather see Desnoyers and Millman vs AHL competition than roll out vet who are going nowhere.

I'd rather see Desnoyers than Sushko, but you need some veteran centers since Kase, if he's playing, is the only young center at LHV.
Too bad they didn't bring in JOB, I'd like to see what he can do.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
There’s a maximum. I’m not aware of a minimum.

Lol right, my bad. I was thinking of the minimum vet rule for NHL exhibition games. Doh!

Here's the AHL roster rule.

Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a game, at least 13 must be qualified as “development players.” Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games. All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I'd rather see Desnoyers than Sushko, but you need some veteran centers since Kase, if he's playing, is the only young center at LHV.
Too bad they didn't bring in JOB, I'd like to see what he can do.
O'Brien might go back to college, do we know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad