Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. [April-May 2021 edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
My point is more about recalling players, if they're not dominating the AHL, they rarely succeed when they hit the NHL.
Who knows about injuries this season?
We have no idea who had COVID or whether they have post-COVID symptoms.

Which is why this is a clusterf---k season at all levels.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
My point is more about recalling players, if they're not dominating the AHL, they rarely succeed when they hit the NHL.
Who knows about injuries this season?
We have no idea who had COVID or whether they have post-COVID symptoms.

Which is why this is a clusterf---k season at all levels.
I think we are getting side tracked. Do you or anyone else know if Kase and/or Wisdom are injured. I'm not saying they s/b in the NHL but they most definitely s/b playing in the AHL unless injured....My reference to vet-laden in an earlier post was to the Phantoms, not Flyers

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Phantoms shut down due to COVID, we don't know who tested positive or if they had post-COVID symptoms.
And the team will probably not release that information.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
From last year.

45361_tyson-foerster2020.png

Yesterday's goals came on his offside after excellent cross crease passes. First one was between the hash marks. Second one was closer to his Powerplay sweet spot. Looked like bad goaltending but skilled shooters tend to take advantage of those situations.
These heat maps are what I am referencing. Also, his highlight package showed a few nice passes to the slot area, iirc.

I am curious if he’s getting into these areas regularly and if he’s getting the puck to those areas, too. On a consistent basis, that is.

Reactions: wankstifier

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
They like skill, just not mindless skill.
Voracek has the worst xGF of all the forwards, maybe he's scapegoating himself?
Ghost blew the 5 on 3.

If the veteran core is so good, how come the team is always so mediocre after 3 HCs in 8 years.
Or maybe we have some veterans who at their best were good but not elite, and now are fading?

The problem isn't so much lack of skill but fit.
Look at Voracek on the PP, teams know he's got a mediocre shot, so they play the pass.
If you have Ghost and Giroux, what you need on that right side is someone like Allison or Foerster, who can fire off the pass.

Don’t bother man. It’s easier to just say it’s only management and the coaching staff that’s been at fault for 10 straight years now. The entire roster, and even Hextall, apart from the typical plugs that essentially every other team has in the new salary cap era, is entirely blameless.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
the coaches have plenty of blame to go around
But SOME of the players on this team should get blame as well. Not just Hagg, Hayes and the goaltending
Yup. Lots of players have either played poorly individually or are just crap players.

But the long time forward core/leadership is not part of that problem. Couturier, Giroux, and Voracek have all played well this year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
G, Couts and Voracek have all played well below their peak of four years ago, Couts probably b/c he's been injured, G and Voracek due to age.
You can live in the fantasy that your heroes will never age, but prepare to be disappointed.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoFightWin16

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
I wathced the Phantoms on Facebook last night. Seems like the old days are back -- vet laden and playing in key times/positions. I know there are call-ups and injuries playing into this but it seems like they could have made a place for Millman. Does anyone know if Wisdom and Kase are hurt?
Kase: no
Wisdom: undisclosed ; nobody is sure; even the announcers aren't.
Sushko: hurt

You have to admit, there are not as many vets as you say. There are what you call vets that are not old like Willman and Day. Kase sometimes has to play center because they do not have enough of them. They HAD to sign Mueller age 35 or 36 because there is a dearth of centers on the team. O'Reilly is a good vet to have on the team and a center. If this team were all rookies from a Hockeysfuture point of view it would be great. But as a fan of the Phantoms I want them to win the PA Cup. And if they have POs [debate-able], I want them to win the Calder Cup.

I like Andreoff on the Phantoms.

Actually, the Phantoms are one of the younger teams. Look at Binghamton Devils; youngest team they play are 3-12 the last 15 games. They play hard and have decent goaltending, but they make a ton of mistakes every game.

Foerster gets huge minutes on the PP and a regular shift. Ratcliffe gets a regular shift and plays alot on the PK. The D has Wylie, Zamula, York, and Day [ real surprise!] with only 2 vets Bigras and Witherspoon. [ thank god Pouliot is on the taxi squad!].

York is getting better. He was out there a lot last night........

McIntyre is pretty good. Sandstrom never learned about rebound control and at least this year stinks to high heaven.

That's all folks!

7593473.jpg

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
120518_chuck_sot.jpg

Well.....MSE......do you think that little nugget is still the truth or a pile of horse manure? Or was he just wishful thinking out loud? Propagandists do think out loud hoping there is a scintilla of truth.

"There is everything here to be successful." He does not define what "successful" means, let's it hang there like a good propagandist does......, of course, the implied [or is it inferred? ]is the Flyers will make a successful run at the SC.......

Well.....MSE......do you think that little nugget is still the truth or a pile of horse manure? Or was he just wishful thinking out loud? Propagandists do think out loud hoping there is a scintilla of truth.

"There is everything here to be successful." He does not define what "successful" means, let's it hang there like a good propagandist does......, of course, the implied [or is it inferred? ]is the Flyers will make a successful run at the SC.......

Reactions: BernieParent

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
For the life of me I can’t figure out how we put the blame solely on the top players and not the surrounding cast as well in hockey. Eichel is one of the top 5 centers in the league. You acquire Eichel and have Couts/Eichel down the middle I’m happy with that starting point.

Next is acquiring a top 4 defenseman to play with Provorov.

Just because Eichel is the captain of a bad team doesn’t mean he is the reason they are bad. Since Eichel has arrived they have had trash in net and on the blue line. That has much more impact on the Sabres being a bad team than a 80/90(prorated) point star.
It was meant sarcastic. Iam with you on that. But iam not convinced Eichel is the solution
But i also know you probably dont get a better solution. So it would the best case i guess

Reactions: Prongo

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
For the life of me I can’t figure out how we put the blame solely on the top players and not the surrounding cast as well in hockey. Eichel is one of the top 5 centers in the league. You acquire Eichel and have Couts/Eichel down the middle I’m happy with that starting point.

Next is acquiring a top 4 defenseman to play with Provorov.

Just because Eichel is the captain of a bad team doesn’t mean he is the reason they are bad. Since Eichel has arrived they have had trash in net and on the blue line. That has much more impact on the Sabres being a bad team than a 80/90(prorated) point star.

I would think Provorov goes if Eichel is coming back.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Every time one of you says this, it adds another 5 years to the cup drought.
Unfortunately, it's a situation where they may have to acquire a top pair RD or they may have to trade Provorov.

The Flyers have two main problems on defense. Provorov has been anointed the number one and has not been able to handle it (yet?), and there is no RD on the roster that can handle top pair duties at the moment.

Hamilton is a pipe dream, so there is no real solution that won't be cost prohibitive to upgrade the defense. Chuckles has a tough task ahead.

The best solution might be a defense by committee, but the defense isn't strong enough to do that either, with guys like Provy and Myers who regressed this year, Braun who has aged out, and Hagg and Morin who shouldn't be on the Flyers roster in a best case scenario.

Hopefully the team gets a summer reset and Provy and Myers play closer to their ceilings in 2021/22 than their floors.

I came into this season with a lot of optimism, but it's all gone. I really don't know where they go from here.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Unfortunately, it's a situation where they may have to acquire a top pair RD or they may have to trade Provorov.

The Flyers have two main problems on defense. Provorov has been anointed the number one and has not been able to handle it (yet?), and there is no RD on the roster that can handle top pair duties at the moment.

Hamilton is a pipe dream, so there is no real solution that won't be cost prohibitive to upgrade the defense. Chuckles has a tough task ahead.

The best solution might be a defense by committee, but the defense isn't strong enough to do that either, with guys like Provy and Myers who regressed this year, Braun who has aged out, and Hagg and Morin who shouldn't be on the Flyers roster in a best case scenario.

Hopefully the team gets a summer reset and Provy and Myers play closer to their ceilings in 2021/22 than their floors.

I came into this season with a lot of optimism, but it's all gone. I really don't know where they go from here.
thinking-face_1f914.png

Reactions: Ironmanrulez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad