Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. (2015-16 Continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Governator46

Mar 1, 2016
Yeah, they're playoff stats for those players. I typically just turn over from regular season stats to playoffs stats as this time of the year comes.

Might be good to show regular season #s too for context?

Also, Madsen has had a hell of a season! .933 sv% in 26 games as a 20-y-o. Anyone know what the recent comparables are for that kind of season?

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Any idea of our chances with Drake Caggiula?

I think pretty good if the Flyers are interested.

The Flyers usually lose out on the guys who want to play in the NHL right after they sign to burn a year off of their ELC. I can't remember any college free agent getting an NHL game after signing with the Flyers and it seems like the guys that the Flyers miss out on end up playing in the NHL the very season they sign. It's pretty circumstantial but it seems like a logical reason the Flyers don't get the very high profile guys even though they have been rumored to be interested. It's why I think they lose out on Casey Nelson who should be available after next weekend. Some team will give him a game and it probably won't be the Flyers.

Why that might not matter in caggiula case, and Stecher too, is that North Dakota has a great team and could make it to the frozen four. The Frozen four is scheduled for April 7th and 9th which also happens to be the last weekend of the NHL season. Besides the makeup games involving the Flyers, Islanders, Ducks and Caps, all other teams end that Saturday the 9th. Even if UND lost on that Thursday, Caggiula and Stecher would have finish playing Thursday, make up their mind and sign with a team immediately to get a game in by the end of the weekend. That's a pretty rapid decision.

Add that to Hakstol having a relationship with those UND players possibly as far back as their mid-teens, and I think the Flyers would have a pretty good shot at both Stecher and Caggiula. Unless they hated Hakstol.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

One thing to note about both comparables, they needed time to mature, becoming NHL quality defensemen at age 23/24.

This applies to both Myers and Morin, it's easy to get excited over juniors, but big defensemen often need to marinate in the AHL as they learn body control and positioning - their size is both an advantage and a detriment (lateral agility is harder to develop).

Different timetables, I expect Provorov to be an instant starter, Sanheim to need at least a half year in the AHL, Morin to go back to the AHl for more seasoning, and Myers to need another year in junior and two years at Lehigh. Sanheim just needs strength and more experience playing defense, but he moves like a much smaller man.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Parayko is a regular this season at 22. Scandella was a regular at 21/22. Craig said he thinks Myers is 2-3 years away which would put him on about the same track.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I have no idea what Morin's possession numbers are like in the AHL since they aren't tracked, but I have a feeling he will be the new whipping boy at BSH given how he is likely to be used when he is eventually called up, i.e. as a Schultz-replacement.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
One thing to note about both comparables, they needed time to mature, becoming NHL quality defensemen at age 23/24.

This applies to both Myers and Morin, it's easy to get excited over juniors, but big defensemen often need to marinate in the AHL as they learn body control and positioning - their size is both an advantage and a detriment (lateral agility is harder to develop).
Great post. So very true about tall players, especially defensemen. My hope is that when Morin and hopefully Myers make it to Philly that people have patience with them. Just making to the NHL doesn't mean that these guys will be instantaneous all stars. It took Pronger, Chara and other big players, some time to both grow into their physique and catch up with the game.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Just imagine if Myers turned into our Parayko!!

I expect the timetable to be something like this:

This year: Ghost
Next year: Provorov, Morin by years end
2017: Sanheim, Hagg by years end
2018: Friedman
2019 Myers

And us moving one of the lesser guys in a few years would not surprise me. Plus, I think we draft heavy on forwards this draft but then the following year, draft a more balanced attack and then we keep filling the D pipeline coming so we can at some point, replace Ghost, etc... As sad as that sounds...lol.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think the situation with Friedman is that if Bowling Green win the semi-final and the final of the WHCA Final Five this weekend, they'll automatically make the 16 team NCAA tournament.

http://www.uscho.com/conference/wcha/

But if they lose either game he's done for the season... unless he wanted to sign his ELC and join the Phantoms.

Governator46

Mar 1, 2016
I have no idea what Morin's possession numbers are like in the AHL since they aren't tracked, but I have a feeling he will be the new whipping boy at BSH given how he is likely to be used when he is eventually called up, i.e. as a Schultz-replacement.

Well, at even strength on the season he's got a 44.2% GF (-3.9% GF rel). Alt is at 52% GF (6.8% rel) and Hagg has 42.1% (-6.3% rel). So yeah, good chance Morin winds up as an analytics whipping boy.

For LV's forwards:
Cousins: 62.7% GF, 16% rel
Straka: 52.4%, 10.7% rel
Leier: 50% GF, 4.6% rel
Bardreau: 48.1% GF, 5.4% rel
Martel: 43.6% GF, -3.8% rel
Goulbourne: 40.7% GF, -8% rel

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Parayko is a regular this season at 22. Scandella was a regular at 21/22. Craig said he thinks Myers is 2-3 years away which would put him on about the same track.

I saw Parayko play live once last year in the AHL and he looked like a baby cow trying to walk. The most awkward, clumsy player I'd ever seen. Handled the puck like an indian rubber grenade.

He must've improved his coordination over the summer because he's not like that now. St. Louis is smart not to have given up on him too soon....

PensBrony 6 9*

What's the deal with vasiliev? He's played over 90 khl games over the past few years and he's only 21, so he can't be that bad. Obviously he's overshadowed by other guys in the system but he seems like he could be a solid defensive guy. it seems like any talk of him coming over has died down and now the only mention of him is in the prospect update though.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
What's the deal with vasiliev? He's played over 90 khl games over the past few years and he's only 21, so he can't be that bad. Obviously he's overshadowed by other guys in the system but he seems like he could be a solid defensive guy. it seems like any talk of him coming over has died down and now the only mention of him is in the prospect update though.

He has really just never got any better since the age of ~19 tbh...

He was a #6 last year and the year before and played overall at a similar level.

And this year he was relegated to being a #7-8 before being scratched... he is now a healthy scratch I believe and has not played a game in over a month. (February 2nd)

His contract with Omsk expires next month.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
Hockey News prospect watch issue is out. Flyers came in with
Provorov at #4
Sanheim at IIRC 14 or 16.
Konecny in the late 20s.
I believe Morin was at #51.

Very good showing!

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
Can anyone tell me top 10 then?
Phunhog has the first three, I already wrote Provorov at 4.

Rantanen, Werenski, Samsonov, Zacha, Kyle Connor and Christian Dvorak round out the top ten.

I'd recommend every hockey fan buy this issue as it's IMO one of their best throughout the year. Lots of info and moderately priced.

Accurate numbers on my first post would be.
Provorov at 4
Sanheim at 16
Konecny at 29
Morin at 51

You'll have to make a purchase to see the write ups. Again well worth it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad