Phantom Doctrine (Cold-War Squad-Based Tactics Game for PC)

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Publishing + Investments for Games | Good Shepherd Entertainment

So it looks like the release for this is sometime in the "summer" - no fixed date yet. But damn it looks good.

They are letting streamers play what basically amounts to the tutorial missions + maybe one or two more from what I've seen - here's a YT stream of one.

The game is set during the Cold War. You pick whether you are CIA or KGB (and I think you can choose Mossad after one successful playthrough as either of the above) with different stories. The investigation board looks awesome, as does pretty much anything you can do in your safe house. It looks like the preferred playstyle is stealth, although you can go in guns blazing if you want.

It seems somewhat inspired by the XCOM remakes, with the two AP system and stuff like that, but seems different and (frankly) deeper in some respects. Instead of chance to hit, actions are deterministic with damage adjustments determined by the targets "awareness". So if you have LoS, you'll hit - but the damage can range depending on the opponent.

Anyway - it's a good indie game almost at release and I thought worthy of some attention.

Reactions: MXD and NyQuil

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It looks promising. I like the somewhat realistic graphics, for a change. They're not as stylized or as cartoony as most of the XCOM clones (and other isometric stealth games) do. A more realistic appearance also seems to suit a more realistic game. I love the Cold War setting, as well, since too many of these types of games are futuristic. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Publishing + Investments for Games | Good Shepherd Entertainment

So it looks like the release for this is sometime in the "summer" - no fixed date yet. But damn it looks good.

They are letting streamers play what basically amounts to the tutorial missions + maybe one or two more from what I've seen - here's a YT stream of one.

The game is set during the Cold War. You pick whether you are CIA or KGB (and I think you can choose Mossad after one successful playthrough as either of the above) with different stories. The investigation board looks awesome, as does pretty much anything you can do in your safe house. It looks like the preferred playstyle is stealth, although you can go in guns blazing if you want.

It seems somewhat inspired by the XCOM remakes, with the two AP system and stuff like that, but seems different and (frankly) deeper in some respects. Instead of chance to hit, actions are deterministic with damage adjustments determined by the targets "awareness". So if you have LoS, you'll hit - but the damage can range depending on the opponent.

Anyway - it's a good indie game almost at release and I thought worthy of some attention.

Is it an XCOM game? The YT title is: Phantom Doctrine - XCOM: Enemy Unseen

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Is it an XCOM game? The YT title is: Phantom Doctrine - XCOM: Enemy Unseen

I was confused about that at first, too, but, no, it isn't. I think that that YouTuber was just trying to get hits by putting XCOM in the video title. Putting "XCOM clone" or "XCOM-like" would've been OK, but making up a fake, misleading name like that irks me.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011

Story trailer. Maybe not the best "trailer" in the world, but since it's all in-game footage instead of cinematic shots, I give it a pass.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Seems like a really cool game. I'll definitely keep my eye on this one.

The XCOM combat isn't my favourite (it's certainly not bad), but depending on how good the espionage stuff is, I may have to pick this up.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Seems like a really cool game. I'll definitely keep my eye on this one.

The XCOM combat isn't my favourite (it's certainly not bad), but depending on how good the espionage stuff is, I may have to pick this up.
I'm not a fan of the two action point system at all, but this seems to have a good stealth function + the overwatch system is pretty cool.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Getting some mixed reviews, might be worth waiting for a couple patches to play it.
Some of the mechanics are a bit disappointing. LOS was completely borked (since fixed). Some of the perks are overpowered to the point of trivializing the whole game.

Bones are great - should have done more playtesting though IMO. In general I'm not a fan of deterministic systems over RNG, but that's a design decision they made. Devs already released like three patches and another one is coming early next week that's supposed to fix a couple of other issues. This is one of those "give it a month and then play it" games rather than a day 1 purchase IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad