Phaneuf's shooting.

Babscocks

Jan 7, 2011
Edmonton
Just an observation that stats appear to back up. Dion has averaged over 220 shots a season. This year he sits at 70 through 39 games, which would be an average of about 150 for the year, and he would still be on pace for roughly 15 goals.

The last few seasons from what I remember Dion seemed to miss wide on far to many shots, especially when teeing up for a one-timer. This year I don't notice it nearly as much, so safe to say it isn't happening, which is great. I'm curious why he's shooting far less? I'm thinking it could be Franson on the PP who has a pretty deadly shot himself, but curious to see what you guys have noticed.

carlyle

Feb 20, 2013
Just an observation that stats appear to back up. Dion has averaged over 220 shots a season. This year he sits at 70 through 39 games, which would be an average of about 150 for the year, and he would still be on pace for roughly 15 goals.

The last few seasons from what I remember Dion seemed to miss wide on far to many shots, especially when teeing up for a one-timer. This year I don't notice it nearly as much, so safe to say it isn't happening, which is great. I'm curious why he's shooting far less? I'm thinking it could be Franson on the PP who has a pretty deadly shot himself, but curious to see what you guys have noticed.

Kessel + Franson = tempted to pass

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Phaneuf - Franson

On the PP these two pass back and forth a lot and are real comfortable with each other. Great combo has stopped Dion from forcing shots.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Dion is playing amazing, I have been hard on him in the past but he is thinking things through more clearly and playing smarter under RC

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Phaneuf - Franson

On the PP these two pass back and forth a lot and are real comfortable with each other. Great combo has stopped Dion from forcing shots.

I'm inclined to agree. Dion's relied on far less for shots on the PP this year.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Franson's shot is quite dangerous too and I think teams have a hard time trying to cover them both while not opening up down low.

Phaneuffan3

Beleafer
Aug 22, 2011
The HC - Ontario
I'd have to say that we are no longer a one trick offensive team. Our power play in years past was based around stationary perimiter passing until either kessel or dion would direct the puck to the net. It was very predictable and allowed opposing players to get into the shooting lanes forcing shots wide.

This season he now has a rhd partner on the pp in franson and more scoring threats to keep pkers honest

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
Dion needs to work on his aim, he should check out Robocop 2.

I honestly hate reading these comments. You do realize he has a 10% shooting percentage. This is the best of his career and better than most defenseman in the league. You cant score on every shot and your bound to miss the net when aiming for corners. Some people are just never happy. Phaneuf throughout his career has been one the league's best goal scoring defenseman.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Kessel + Franson = tempted to pass

Phaneuf - Franson

Yup, two great shots from the point and a sniper from the side boards with a big body parked in front of the net. loving our pp this year. I especially like that set play we have where phil sauces it across ice to franson whos coming down the boards. its worked like 3 or 4 times already.

Another thing about Dion, he either misses high or goes top cheddar. i can live with that

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I honestly hate reading these comments. You do realize he has a 10% shooting percentage. This is the best of his career and better than most defenseman in the league. You cant score on every shot and your bound to miss the net when aiming for corners. Some people are just never happy. Phaneuf throughout his career has been one the league's best goal scoring defenseman.

TOR fans tend to focus on the negative, without using perspective when analyzing our players. Especially with D. We've always been hard on D. But it's Dion's job to be on the ice while Crosby, Stamkos, OV etc are. He isn't as good as them, and he will be exposed from time to time. That doesn't mean he is crap, but some fans don't get it.

I think he is easily a top 10 D in the league and I love that he is also a bit of an instigator too. I love that in some players.

His shot % is good in comparison to other 1D's in the league. It always has been.

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Better decision making as well. Before he'd just rip any shot towards the net, he's passing more and we got more players ripping shots now. Kadri, lupul, kessel, jvr, franson even bozak.

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
Having Franson on the opposite point definitely helps. When it was Phaneuf-Liles or Phaneuf-Gardiner, it was pretty clear who the trigger man was and who the passer was. Now, opposing PKs have to respect Franson's shot a lot more and cheat less.

That and I'm sure Carlisle and the coaching staff have talked to Phaneuf about improving his shot selection.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca

I am very happy with Dion, actually.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Maybe they should hang a picture of Lupul's arm in the top corners of the net at practice.:sarcasm: Just a thought. :)

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Dions a beauty this year in all aspects, still sometimes throws it up the boards right to the other teams D but thats usually because the wingers arent in position... But thats the only complaint i have, and of course hes not throwing any open ice hits but that could come with being relied on and being responsible, maybe age too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->