Phaneuf's hit on Olesz

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seems to be a couple of mis-informational bits going around on this thread.

1. Olesz didn't come into the Canadian zone with his head down. Luckily, I knew I would be too tired to wake up at 8:00AM EST so I taped it and I watched the hit a bajillion times (that's a real number). Olesz had his head up and more likely than not, just didn't expect Phaneuf to tar and feather him like that. He was looking towards the net and could not have missed Phaneuf barreling along the "trolley tracks" to use a Cherry-ism. "Frozen like a deer in headlights" is probably the proper phrase.

2. Pierre McGuire never said anything about Olesz diving whatsoever. I'm the first to hate Pierre McGuire after this tournament of homerism, but he said nothing about Olesz diving. He had whined about Ladislav Smid and Jiri Hudler and had called their mishaps "boo-boos", but Olesz was left alone and actually almost praised by McGuire.

3. What exactly is a "clean" hit? If it's not hitting a guy where he can see you (i.e. in front) while he's carrying the puck without an elbow/stick all without charging, I don't know what is. To call that hit dirty is, to use a Balki-ism, "reedeekuloos".

PEli*

I would like to see it again as well. I've been looking but haven't found anything yet. If anybody has it, it'd be cool to see it again.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Go to www.tsn.ca

In their audio/video section on the main page (just scroll down a little) there is a preview of the GOld Medal game. Click on that, and just under a minute into the vid there is a clip of the hit. They just show it once, but its the best I've found so far.

Marchy79

Mar 1, 2003
Barrie
Visit site
Personally I realize the hit was Legally clean... But I hate to see this happen to a player who is just coming in to his own entering the draft next year. It's a shame to hear of a promising prospect get such a severe concussion at such a young age. This tournament is a tourney of goodwill, sure there is pride for your country... But there is no reason to crank the crap out of a player because you can. This tourney is important but it is not the NHL, IMHO, Phaneuf should have respected the fact he is in Finland, playing under different rules and regulations. Where it's fair to hit, but not to end careers before they start. Bad decision making by the young future star... But a good representation as to why the ornery Sutters love him so much.

I hope most of all, there will be no repurcussions to Olesz' game. That he will not feel any effects of this bad play, and become as good as he has been touted.

Personally, I will not give credence for hits like this, as hits like this have already robbed us of some great talent in the NHL, and should be banned... Losing guys like LaFontaine, and Allison made me feel this way for a long time, plus as a Canadian... it's kind of embarrassing, as the Czech's are obviously going to be overtly pissed off about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad