Phaneuf's hit on Olesz

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyeofthetiger

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
Van said:
Theoretically, you are right...however, the NHL doesn't have a Check To The Head rule yet. In the NHL, Phaneuf's hit is as clean as a bell.

BTW, Canada was playing the Czech Republic this morning, not Finland. ;)

They may be allowing this type of check in the NHL I can't say that they do...but it's not good for the game. Direct hits to the head will injure any player = big or small. The rising number of concussions in the NHL worries everyone. Discouraging hits of this nature is good for business...otherwise you'll be losing your product....Clean body checks delivered hard often produce injuries as well but that's part of the game...having your bell intentionally rung with a direct blow to the head isn't and has never been an integral part of the game of hockey in any country or any league.

eyeofthetiger

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
chicpea said:
hurray! we finally have some dissent. By the way, the hit was clean. ;)
Yeah...a clean hit to the HEAD. The kid had a big welt on his cheek as he lay on the ice barely able to figure out where the hell he was...as Pierre Maquire ranted about him diving....

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
eyeofthetiger said:
They may be allowing this type of check in the NHL I can't say that they do...but it's not good for the game. Direct hits to the head will injure any player = big or small. The rising number of concussions in the NHL worries everyone. Discouraging hits of this nature is good for business...otherwise you'll be losing your product....Clean body checks delivered hard often produce injuries as well but that's part of the game...having your bell intentionally rung with a direct blow to the head isn't and has never been an integral part of the game of hockey in any country or any league.

I just caught something on HNIC where Cherry and MacLean were showing a Lindros hit where a guy got a concussion. Don was saying this is how Eric has to play, too bad about the guy who got hit (seemingly genuine concern), but Eric had to get back to this style of play.

IT WAS SO OBVIOUSLY BOARDING! Eric should be suspended and Don's telling him that's the way he should play.

BCCHL inactive

Crosbyfan said:
I just caught something on HNIC where Cherry and MacLean were showing a Lindros hit where a guy got a concussion. Don was saying this is how Eric has to play, too bad about the guy who got hit (seemingly genuine concern), but Eric had to get back to this style of play.

IT WAS SO OBVIOUSLY BOARDING! Eric should be suspended and Don's telling him that's the way he should play.

Boarding? I would have been embarassed as an official had Lindros' hit been called Boarding.

chicpea*

Van said:
Boarding? I would have been embarassed as an official had Lindros' hit been called Boarding.

yes. Lindros did not board him (lacouture I think) there.
IF he did, I'd be the first to be angry.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Van said:

The NHL site recap referred to it as "a hard but clean hit into the boards"
So obviously I'm missing something. I would describe it as "a hard but clean hit" if the boards weren't there, but they were and the guy was injured and it wasn't accidental. So what am I missing?

BCCHL inactive

Crosbyfan said:
The NHL site recap referred to it as "a hard but clean hit into the boards"
So obviously I'm missing something. I would describe it as "a hard but clean hit" if the boards weren't there, but they were and the guy was injured and it wasn't accidental. So what am I missing?

An injury doesn't automatically make the hit illegal. By your logic, any hit into the boards should be considered Boarding.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
eyeofthetiger said:

Sorry - you cannot expect a physical player to pull up from an otherwise totally clean hit just because he notices (if he does) that the other guy is not ready for it - which is what you are expecting. If you have played the game, you know it cannot happen that way.

Phaneuf moved to hit a puck carrier entering into the zone at speed who was starting a move towards the inside - he lead with his shoulder just like he has been (very successfully) taught - and he finished his check cleanly. The fact that the player had his head down at the time and took it to the chops is unfortunate but happens all the time. This was not an intentional "direct blow to the head" as you describe it.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Van said:
An injury doesn't automatically make the hit illegal. By your logic, any hit into the boards should be considered Boarding.

I'm thinking any hit into the boards that is dangerous due to the distance to the boards, angle (being more at right angles than squeezing the guy out) and how hard the hit was. This (the LIndros on Focht? hit) was a hard hit square to the boards. If he was further out from the boards it would have been worse (more chance to go headlong into the boards) What is the rule and how is it interpreted? I think any referee at the WJCs would call that simply because it was dangerous, regardless of whether an injury took place. The chances of injury are too high.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
gb701 said:
Sorry - you cannot expect a physical player to pull up from an otherwise totally clean hit just because he notices (if he does) that the other guy is not ready for it - which is what you are expecting. If you have played the game, you know it cannot happen that way.

Phaneuf moved to hit a puck carrier entering into the zone at speed who was starting a move towards the inside - he lead with his shoulder just like he has been (very successfully) taught - and he finished his check cleanly. The fact that the player had his head down at the time and took it to the chops is unfortunate but happens all the time. This was not an intentional "direct blow to the head" as you describe it.

Exactly, but you can expect/require that a guy lets up from an "otherwise clean hit" when the proximity of the boards makes it dangerous. (this is with regard to the Lindros hit; I know you're referring to the Phaneuf hit which is totally different, your description was nicely stated)

BCCHL inactive

Crosbyfan said:
I'm thinking any hit into the boards that is dangerous due to the distance to the boards, angle (being more at right angles than squeezing the guy out) and how hard the hit was. This (the LIndros on Focht? hit) was a hard hit square to the boards. If he was further out from the boards it would have been worse (more chance to go headlong into the boards) What is the rule and how is it interpreted? I think any referee at the WJCs would call that simply because it was dangerous, regardless of whether an injury took place. The chances of injury are too high.

The referee has the power of judgment to decide the degree of violence that each hit is delivered with.

I saw the Lindros hit a few times tonight, and I saw it as nothing but a common bodycheck with a result a-la "**** happens".

Any blame for a possible concussion would lie on the cement-like glass that Focht hit his head against.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Van said:
The referee has the power of judgment to decide the degree of violence that each hit is delivered with.

I saw the Lindros hit a few times tonight, and I saw it as nothing but a common bodycheck with a result a-la "**** happens".

And I think an open ice hit like that probably would not have been an injury but the boards made it highly likely.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
It was clean but team Canada game overall wasen't very clean . Team Canada hit and nobody step up from the others teams . The Americans better be physical or they'll be in trouble .

BCCHL inactive

Crosbyfan said:
And I think an open ice hit like that probably would not have been an injury but the boards made it highly likely.

Maybe so....but that is a part of hockey. That is why we teach kids how to take hits along the boards.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Van said:

Any blame for a possible concussion would lie on the cement-like glass that Focht hit his head against.

I thought (not sure) the glass had lots of give or the concussion could have been much worse. I know it varies a lot. Should be standardized.

FlyersGuy69

Jul 9, 2002
purgatory
Visit site
on the Phaneuf hit, it's nothing new just ask Mark-Antoine Pouliot who he nocked into following week during CHL's Top Prospects game last year by Phaneuf.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The Lindros hit on Focht was clean. Focht is seemingly more injury prone than Eric himself.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Psycho Joe said:
It was a dirty hit, but IMO legal, but Phaneuf and the rest of the North American players should realize those types of hits are regularly penalized in Europe.

How was it dirty?

Phaneuf sent a message to EVERYONE!! Dont try and dangle with the puck or deek me or I'm gonna put you in the hospital.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
How was it dirty?

Phaneuf sent a message to EVERYONE!! Dont try and dangle with the puck or deek me or I'm gonna put you in the hospital.

Whenever you throw a hit that you know will hurt another player it's dirty in my books. You can still take the guy out of the play without sending him to the hospital. Legal or not, it's dirty IMO and shows the complete lack of respect players have for one another. But that's just me.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Psycho Joe said:
Whenever you throw a hit that you know will hurt another player it's dirty in my books. You can still take the guy out of the play without sending him to the hospital. Legal or not, it's dirty IMO and shows the complete lack of respect players have for one another. But that's just me.

Different players react different to hits.

Some players would have gotten up after the hit Phaneuf threw. Depends how the shoulder area hit the head.

Plus you are tought to skate with your head up, OLesz didnt, and he got creamed.

Better to get hit now by Phaneuf and learn, rather than having Stevens end your carrer once you make the NHL.

Sammy*

Psycho Joe said:
I dunno Joe. When I played hockey everytime I hit a guy I wanted to hurt him. I think you have to recognize their is a difference between wanting to hurt a guy & wanting to injure a guy.
Just my .02

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Psycho Joe said:
Whenever you throw a hit that you know will hurt another player it's dirty in my books.

And how, exactly, did Phaneuf "know" that he was going to hurt Olesz? Olesz is the one that screwed up by putting his head down.

whitesox_2000_22*

eyeofthetiger said:

The hit would have been SHoulder to Chest is Olesz was not amiring the puck....If you dont keep your head up u desreve to keep the snot knocked out of you....ask Kariya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->