TSN: Phaneuf Will Have Disciplinary Meeting for hit on Miller

bcinterruption

Nov 2, 2006
Boston
The hit was reckless and really stupid but not vicious or dirty per se. Based on precedent, he should get about 2 games. It would be pretty bad if he doesn't get anything.

I would like to see Shanahan set the precedent that reckless hits to the numbers, even if not intended to injure, will be punished severely - but I see nothing that suggests that's happening any time soon.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
just because
i1Sr42uILqKuK.gif

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
I wouldn't even care if he got suspended or not, but the refs deciding to swallow the whistle because they were helping a team try to comeback is what is appalling. I want to see a ref or ref team suspended if they are influencing a game by letting go deliberate penalties

hubey

Nov 19, 2013
Regina, Saskatchewan
It seems the Bruins don't get any of these calls because their players play the game the way it should be played. Loui, Marchand and Miller all got up and made it off the ice. If they had stayed on the ice and called for doctors etc. I am pretty sure the refs would have called something and suspensions would be longer.

24giovanni

Aug 2, 2005
Frustrating how many teams are taking liberties with our players. At this rate we will have no roster players left in another 12 games.

The thing that frustrates me ever more is that if Chara, Lucic or Marchand make that same exact hit that Phaneauf makes tonight it's an AUTOMATIC match penalty and likely a very lengthy suspension and the whole hockey world cries "Bruin's are goons!". Yet Toronto doesn't even get called for a penalty.

Last night no penalty on Orpik and only a 2 min minor on a deliberate knee to the head of a downed opponent. That move is even forbidden in mixed martial arts and is cause for a disqualification.

I don't get what the deal is and why the Bruin's are a target of poor officiating lately but it seems the game plan of other teams is to take cheap shots on the Bruin's and then skate away from them when they try to hold you accountable afterwards because the refs failed to do their job. Then Bruin's get penalized for retaliating.

As our roster gets more and more depleted my anger grows. I was critical of Thornton last night, but I am asking myself now, what the heck are we suppose to do as a team if this continues?

Personally, I think Cam needs to go kick their ***** to show them what it is like to be hit hard. Maybe then they will get it right.

BergyMeister

Overpaid 4th liner
Mar 5, 2010
Tampa Via Vermont.
I have to say it : Lucic gets a match penalty in the BOS-VAN game a couple years back for doing nothing and the league rescinds his penalty. Phaneuf gets no penalty for that clear boarding call and gets a hearing afterwards. These refs suck. For everybody.

nicely put.

It's time the league did something about constant offenders.

The problem is the refs are just an extension of the total Crap show that is NHL disapline.

Last edited:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
All you "old timers" and your "just bring out the goons and everything will be fine and no one will get hurt" philosophy just ****ing kills me. It reaches so far into the vast ocean of ignorance.

The game, as played now, is way faster than even back in the 80's. Guys are going to get injured no matter what, whether it be by accident or on purpose. Neal is a marked man now within the Bruins organization (at least for awhile) and he got a decent suspension (he's been great for Pitt this year so it's certainly punishment for the organization). Yes, for whatever reason it only garnered 2 minutes. Should have been more. But action was taken, and if Neal didn't learn his lesson, it's his loss and he'll get the book thrown at him by either the league or Bruins players next time it happens to them.

For whatever reason (I don't think there's a good one), Phaneuf's blatant hit on Miller wasn't called. Don't know if refs just weren't paying attention or if they thought Miller turned...as I said, no good reason. But the league recognized it and again, is going to take action on a player who, like him or not, is integral to Toronto defense. Considering the majority of Toronto fans are encouraging punishment on Dion for his idiotic play, I'd imagine someone within the TOR higher-ups will be speaking with him.

My point is, on both of these plays, the initial call was blown, but the league DID step in, in an effort to do something about it. What more can you ask from them? Refs are going to blow calls. Just the way it is. And every year you'll have fans saying "they're worse this year than ever before" :cry: as soon as one perceived bad call happens.

See things for what they really are beyond your rose colored glasses. The whole "fight violence with violence" strategy working before is debatable and it won't work now. I know some of you have wet dreams about these huge beatdowns and "justice being served" on ice, but I'd give up. I know, you know, that the instigator rule isn't being lifted and more fighting isn't going to happen. And if it was, more John Scott's. Oh wait, isn't that what the ENTIRE BOARD doesn't want?

Seriously consider thinking things all the way through before running to your keyboard full of out of control emotion.

/rant

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
All you "old timers" and your "just bring out the goons and everything will be fine and no one will get hurt" philosophy just ****ing kills me. It reaches so far into the vast ocean of ignorance.

The game, as played now, is way faster than even back in the 80's. Guys are going to get injured no matter what, whether it be by accident or on purpose. Neal is a marked man now within the Bruins organization (at least for awhile) and he got a decent suspension (he's been great for Pitt this year so it's certainly punishment for the organization). Yes, for whatever reason it only garnered 2 minutes. Should have been more. But action was taken, and if Neal didn't learn his lesson, it's his loss and he'll get the book thrown at him by either the league or Bruins players next time it happens to them.

For whatever reason (I don't think there's a good one), Phaneuf's blatant hit on Miller wasn't called. Don't know if refs just weren't paying attention or if they thought Miller turned...as I said, no good reason. But the league recognized it and again, is going to take action on a player who, like him or not, is integral to Toronto defense. Considering the majority of Toronto fans are encouraging punishment on Dion for his idiotic play, I'd imagine someone within the TOR higher-ups will be speaking with him.

My point is, on both of these plays, the initial call was blown, but the league DID step in, in an effort to do something about it. What more can you ask from them? Refs are going to blow calls. Just the way it is. And every year you'll have fans saying "they're worse this year than ever before" :cry: as soon as one perceived bad call happens.

See things for what they really are beyond your rose colored glasses. The whole "fight violence with violence" strategy working before is debatable and it won't work now. I know some of you have wet dreams about these huge beatdowns and "justice being served" on ice, but I'd give up. I know, you know, that the instigator rule isn't being lifted and more fighting isn't going to happen. And if it was, more John Scott's. Oh wait, isn't that what the ENTIRE BOARD doesn't want?

Seriously consider thinking things all the way through before running to your keyboard full of out of control emotion.

/rant

who the **** are you calling old?

:laugh:

qc

Aug 23, 2011
I wasn't shocked to hear Kypreos put the full onus of that hit on Miller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad