Phaneuf vs Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
cagney said:
Not that it will impress any of Johnson's doubters but he had a 7 point game tonight in the U18 team's last home game of the year against Toledo.

He now has 41 points in 42 games with 170 PIMs.

That game got out of hand. You could tell the Ice diggers were not used to playing w/o a Redline and that they were not used to the size of the rink.

Game was close at the end of the 1st, but the USNT put up 5 goals in the 1st ten minutes of the 2nd period. Johnson had a Trick and moved the puck very well. Didn't see him do much in D, but that is due to the Diggers never really getting the puck into their O end.

Lanny MacDonald*

Just a quick comment about this subject. Mike Komisarek was supposed to be a monster that was guaranteed of being an NHL star because of the way he excelled in college. What happened? There's a massive difference between college hockey and professional hockey period. I'll take a player from junior ranks over any college player in a heartbeat. Being a physical monster in US college hockey is like being the best tennis player in Canada. In the big picture its not that impressive. Johnson has a lot to prove to get to the same level that Phaneuf is presently at.

VernonForrest

Feb 20, 2003
San Diego
The Iconoclast said:
Just a quick comment about this subject. Mike Komisarek was supposed to be a monster that was guaranteed of being an NHL star because of the way he excelled in college. What happened? There's a massive difference between college hockey and professional hockey period. I'll take a player from junior ranks over any college player in a heartbeat. Being a physical monster in US college hockey is like being the best tennis player in Canada. In the big picture its not that impressive. Johnson has a lot to prove to get to the same level that Phaneuf is presently at.

That might be a problem if that was Johnson's main asset. His physical nature is an added bonus to his overall game. I'm sure we could sit here and dream up tons of players who were dominant physical pressences in Major junior who didnt progress well to the NHL.

As far as Komisarek is concerned if you watch many Montreal Canadien's games he has actually played very physical in the limited time he has had. The overall speed of the game looks to be what he is having trouble with right now. I dont think anyone was touting Komisarek as having great hockey sense when he was in college so it should have been expected he would have troubles excelling right away.

We will see how fast Phaneuf becomes the dominant star everyone thinks hes going to be.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
pavel datsyuk said:
it was a joke.

someone seems a little pissy...
Not pissy at all, this is the internet, you didn't seem like you were joking and I couldn't tell. Its just that people actually do that, complain in a threat about a player that he is being talked about to much.

sonnytheman

Apr 9, 2002
Ithaca, Mtl
Visit site
During their draft years:

Hype for Johnson >> hype for Phaneuf

If Phaneuf was hyped remotely closely to Johnson, there's no way he would have been chosen as the 3rd defenceman of the draft. He was taken behind Suter and Coburn, would anyone say that their hype was higher than Johnson's?

Not only that, but he's also being picked to go ahead of Gilbert Brule, a much better prospect than many of the forwards chosen ahead of Phaneuf. I'm pretty sure Brule's hype is much higher than Vanek's and Michalek's back in 2003.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
sonnytheman said:

If Phaneuf was hyped remotely closely to Johnson, there's no way he would have been chosen as the 3rd defenceman of the draft. He was taken behind Suter and Coburn, would anyone say that their hype was higher than Johnson's?

Not only that, but he's also being picked to go ahead of Gilbert Brule, a much better prospect than many of the forwards chosen ahead of Phaneuf. I'm pretty sure Brule's hype is much higher than Vanek's and Michalek's back in 2003.

A reasonable post? In this thread? IMPOSSIBLE!

Phanuthier*

sonnytheman said:

1. There is absolutely no way you can use the fact that Phanuef was picked behind Suter and Coburn to say he was concensus 3rd on the list. During that draft, it was predicted that the 3 would be picked consecuitively, but the order wasn't known. In fact, Phaneuf could have gone anywhere from 6-9 (I remember the Flames were crossing their fingers that the SJ Sharks would take Michalek so the Flames would get 1 of the 3 defenseman).

2. Umm... Gilbert Brule hasn't been drafted yuet, so I can't see how your saying "he's also being picked to go ahead of Gilbert Brule."

bruins4777*

Splatman Phanutier said:
1. There is absolutely no way you can use the fact that Phanuef was picked behind Suter and Coburn to say he was concensus 3rd on the list. During that draft, it was predicted that the 3 would be picked consecuitively, but the order wasn't known. In fact, Phaneuf could have gone anywhere from 6-9 (I remember the Flames were crossing their fingers that the SJ Sharks would take Michalek so the Flames would get 1 of the 3 defenseman).

2. Umm... Gilbert Brule hasn't been drafted yuet, so I can't see how your saying "he's also being picked to go ahead of Gilbert Brule."
.....err the prediction is that johnson will go ahead of brule....thats why he said "he's picked to go ahead"

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Maybe Johnson gets more hype in his draft year than Phaneuf did is b/c when Phaneuf was drafted he had 2 other big time defensive prospects up with him. With Johnson I find he relativly by himself which obviously means he's gonna get more attention if he didn't have to split it with 2 other guys who are expected to be drafted right before or after him. Whos the next big name defensman prospect out there?

Not saying there arent a few top notch defensive prospects in this draft it just seem to be of the caliber of Phaneufs draft.

Either way it doesn't really matter who got more attention before there draft. Its about who does more after there drafted that really matters. No??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad