Phaneuf on the PP the other night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEli*

Patrick - Flames Fan said:
Phaneuf was playing as a forward the other night and seemed to do well, scoring a goal infront of the net.

Thoughts?

Putting big, physical players in front of the net, regardless of their position...gets goals.

Not much more to think or talk about.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
Phaneuf was playing as a forward the other night and seemed to do well, scoring a goal infront of the net.

Thoughts?

What does the rest of the Rebels look like? I find the decision a bit odd.

Phaneuf strikes me as terrific on the point. That's where I would want to see him to win games. I'm glad he gets to experience different things but I find the decision weird. Perhaps some forwards problems? Did they have other great guys to play the point?

He's certainly not the first big time player to play off natural position. It seems to be an indication that they count on him a lot.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
PEli said:
Putting big, physical players in front of the net, regardless of their position...gets goals.

Not much more to think or talk about.

Not really, that is quite a generalization.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
the stars used to put darian hatcher in front of the net on the PP...it happens

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Levitate said:
the stars used to put darian hatcher in front of the net on the PP...it happens

It happens indeed. Pronger, Chara too.

But all these guys (including Hatcher) are absolutely huge. Hatcher is tough to move and you won't see much with that guy in front. Phaneuf has more of a normal size.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
I don't know about these other guys, but the biggest problem with Chara in front is getting possesion of the puck in the opposition zone. Ottawa was terrible on faceoffs, so our powerplay is extremely reliant on being able to enter the oposition zone. With a defenseman forechecking, that didn't work as well as with 3 forwards. Once setup it works excelent though (which is why I think a rotational scheme to get Chara in front of the net once Ottawa's PP was setup in the zone would have been excelent).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->