Phaneuf leads the WHL in scoring....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phanuthier*

Epsilon said:
I think you missed the point of a lot of this Brendl-Tucker stuff. It wasn't to take shots at Phaneuf, we (meaning WHL fans) simply went off on a tangent talking about the best players we've seen in that league. I suppose bringing up Marian Hossa was also supposed to be demeaning to Phaneuf?

I also have to laugh at people talking about Brendl being sucky in the WHL when he basically destroyed that league for 2 seasons without even putting in a full effort, and dragged guys like Kris Beech up to top 10 positions in the draft.
Brendl (and to a lesser extent, Tucker) have serious drawbacks in both have off ice attitude problems. In fact, I remember the bad pun about how Brendl was a "bad apple" when he was drafted by New York.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Thanks, Epsilon and Andora!

Always cool to read some of the history of the CHL I know a little less about.

Haven't seen enough WHL, especially until a few years ago. The guy that stood out the most for me was Klesla and I was curious to hear about others.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
i thought klesla was a batallion? nevertheless, looking back on that list, it makes me fell very lucky i've been able to watch all those guys as teenagers...

*sighs*

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
andora said:
i thought klesla was a batallion? nevertheless, looking back on that list, it makes me fell very lucky i've been able to watch all those guys as teenagers...

*sighs*

Argh, yes he was! :blush:

Man, I gotta watch more CHL out of the Q. I watch so few OHL and WHL games, I barely know these leagues.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Splatman Phanutier said:
Brendl (and to a lesser extent, Tucker) have serious drawbacks in both have off ice attitude problems. In fact, I remember the bad pun about how Brendl was a "bad apple" when he was drafted by New York.

Once again, that has nothing to do with how much they dominated the WHL.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Sounds like you didn't watch him that much. They were all garbage goals? What a bunch of BS. The majority of the goals I saw him score were beauties. He was deadly deking goalies in close and had a wicked release in the slot.

Brendl was not a typical "garbage" goal scorer, he wasn't just banging home rebounds in the crease. He scored from everywhere.

Waiting at the blue-line or in the slot for your teammates to dig up the puck is a garbage goal IMO. Brendl did not work hard until the puck was put on his stick. He was a skilled scorer, but he didn't earn his goals.

Mark my words, Brendl will never amount to anything in the NHL. I've said that since he was drafted.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Vlad The Impaler said:
Argh, yes he was! :blush:

Man, I gotta watch more CHL out of the Q. I watch so few OHL and WHL games, I barely know these leagues.

i'm the exact same with about the Q, i wish i could see more games.. i'm not THAT out of touch with the ohl, but still would love to see more games

Phanuthier*

Epsilon said:
Once again, that has nothing to do with how much they dominated the WHL.
Wait a minute...

Brendl had attitude and conditioning problems that kept him out of the NHL

Phaneuf doesn't

... you don't think there's any corralation between attitude/conditioning and making the NHL?

PS: Brendl had been benched with the Hitman before for his attitude. Dean Clark had him carry around equipment bags and such, and punished him many times for being a cherry picker. None of those things have happened to Phaneuf.

Orv

Jan 7, 2004
Calgary, Ab/Eston,SK
I remember watching Nathan Barret in Lethbridge in his last season, when he racked up 107 points. Awful defensively, I don't even know if saw his own end all season long. I must admit the man put up some points that season though. Terrible in the playoffs too.

I used to love Clarke Wilm with the Blades too. He got 110 points one season. Guess it just goes to show you that just because you rack up a ton of points in the Dub doesn't mean you're a lock for the show.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Splatman Phanutier said:
Wait a minute...

Brendl had attitude and conditioning problems that kept him out of the NHL

Phaneuf doesn't

... you don't think there's any corralation between attitude/conditioning and making the NHL?

PS: Brendl had been benched with the Hitman before for his attitude. Dean Clark had him carry around equipment bags and such, and punished him many times for being a cherry picker. None of those things have happened to Phaneuf.

Splats, what Epsilon has been telling you for a couple of posts now is that he went a little off topic and commented on which WHL players have dominated their league. It has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with the NHL and he has made no comments on their quality as NHL prospects.

Epsilon is not talking about how impressive Tucker, Brendl, Phaneuf or anybody was as a NHL prospect. Rather, he is commenting on their performances as WHL players.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Epsilon said:
Best WHL player I ever saw was Darcy Tucker. Pavel Brendl would be right up there though, along with Marian Hossa.

Best WHL player I ever saw was Hossa for sure....he dominated a league final vs the Wheat kings and single handedly won that series. Brendl had great offensive talent but only played half the time and never knew he had a defensive zone.
Phaneuf is the best WHL Dman ive ever seen.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Best WHL player I ever saw was Hossa for sure....he dominated a league final vs the Wheat kings and single handedly won that series. Brendl had great offensive talent but only played half the time and never knew he had a defensive zone.

That was never really a problem because the puck was never in Calgary's defensive zone during those two seasons.

Last edited:

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Phaneuf is the best WHL Dman ive ever seen.

You don't say, ImpartialObserver_3?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
MrMastodonFarm said:
Nice to see a mod hedging with a personal attack.

Hinting that someone might not be impartial is not a grave offense. It's part of what hockey discussions are about.

That being said, I did not agree with this particular intervention of nomorekids because there is no clear indication of bias from the poster's part.

But they're mods. They have an opinion like you and me and are allowed to express it. If you want mods who do not intervene at all in discussions, we're gonna have to pay them, I suspect.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Sheesh, people! Lighten up a bit! I've made it pretty clear that I think Phaneuf is an outstanding prospect...it not a liiiittle overrated, and I was just making a little joke because the kid was talking about how great Phaneuf was...with a Phaneuf user name. No harm intended! Let's all shake hands and move on then, shall we? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->