TSN: Phaneuf gets 2 game suspension

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Right call. I hate Dmen like Phanuef, Subban, and Orpik who pretend they're tough with smaller guys, but take the high road when someone who they think might whoop them comes a calling. Good, Phanuef is now a repeat offender!

Dwatson783

@dwatson783
Feb 17, 2009
Boston, MA
Just decided to check the Leafs board quickly- it's funny how close they are to B's fans with their assessment vs Pens fans on the other night.

Most seem to agree that 2 games is about right (as is said here).
Most agree that Phaneuf did a stupid thing and has to learn to not go off like that.
Most believe that the NHL needs to become more consistent with their rulings. If they're setting standards like this then they need to follow up with them.

Finally, found this gem:

"While I can accept 2 games for Phaneuf I suspect if he wore a Penguins jersey it would have been 0 or 1."

:laugh:

Good times. Glad to see that 2 fan bases can take a situation between their teams and be rather objective about it...

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
Right call. I hate Dmen like Phanuef, Subban, and Orpik who pretend they're tough with smaller guys, but take the high road when someone who they think might whoop them comes a calling. Good, Phanuef is now a repeat offender!

This.
some fans who love the sissy style will piss and moan about "no one HAS to fight". When in reality, if you act like a tough guy you have to be a tough guy. Don't like it? Don't pretend to be a tough guy.

When in reality, what they are all scared of is turning into Mike Komisarek. Lucic took his masculinity and it rendered Komisarek useless. And I can't believe I'm going to say this, BUT, i have more respect for Mike Komisarek than I have any of the turds mentioned above

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Expected 2 and the silver lining is he has a record- next time he should get 5 anyways

hooked

Jul 6, 2005
2 is consistent with other recent comparable hits. Good point on the next one carrying repeat offender status.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Wait til the Leafs play their two best games without him, management finally recognizes what an overpaid stiff he is, and doesn't resign him to the massive contract he wants.

I wish he was given a bonus by the league instead. It would benefit the Bruins long term.

Dwatson783

@dwatson783
Feb 17, 2009
Boston, MA
This.
some fans who love the sissy style will piss and moan about "no one HAS to fight". When in reality, if you act like a tough guy you have to be a tough guy. Don't like it? Don't pretend to be a tough guy.

When in reality, what they are all scared of is turning into Mike Komisarek. Lucic took his masculinity and it rendered Komisarek useless. And I can't believe I'm going to say this, BUT, i have more respect for Mike Komisarek than I have any of the turds mentioned above

I said this the other day to someone in the office pretty much. When talking about what Thornton did I said:

- Was it dirty? Yes
- Should he have done it? Yes
- Do I fully support him dropping Orpik? Sure do

If you want to go out there and take guys heads off, be ready to back it up- that's all. Look at Boychuk on Cole- it's plain and simple (oh and Cole had the puck going up ice). Don't go brushing off Dougie Hamilton charging you and hide behind refs.

Want to reduce hits like that? Make guys be held accountable. One way or another.

PS- if I was a teammate of Orpik, I'd be pissed about him not stepping up after that hit.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
What about Clarkson? any video on this? I read it was sneaky and viscious- typical Clarkson.

Its to bad that Shanahan could just do a complete list including Clarkson and Dupuis along with the other two already; and even though Orpik hit could be considered clean it was a predator hit and had Boychuk done that to Crosby he would have gotten 10 games.

Imagine if Syd the Kid got hit like that and was gone potentially for good. You think for one second the same Pens fans saying it was a clean hit would still think its a clean hit:biglaugh:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Found this on the Habs board. NHL.com fail.

59y0hy.jpg

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Doubt it. Ok with 2 games Phaneuf isn't a repeat offender and the hit didn't seem intentional.

That's funny, IMO, the reason he got 2 games is because it looked intentional. He practically jumps into his numbers.

I'm always a bit surprised when Shanny suspends a player who dirtied a Bruin...but I wasn't shocked on this one because it looked like Dion chose to do it.

Yeah, it is always great when they choose to make no call and then there's a suspension. Closest we're ever going to come to a public rebuke of the officials.

It is amazing that a slash that broke
a bone is getting no attention. It's Bruins. ...or should I say, Pens, wouldn't want lil lord Sid's team to be too shorthanded.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Dion's a doofus who's penchant to try and go for the big hit invariably leads to him getting completely undressed and blowing a defensive assignment in the most spectacular fashion possible....but he's also not a guy I think of as dirty.

Two sounds about what I expected.

Also an indictment on how half of Leaf fans think that it's two games that could actually improve their club....that's kinda sad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad