Phaneuf at WJC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rotang

Sep 30, 2005
Dallas, TX
I've always heard about how dominant he was during this tournament, but truthfully, I'm not familiar with what he did to warrant such credit. I just recently expanded my hockey horizons beyond the NHL, so cut me some slack.

The main reason I'm curious is because guys like Bourdon and E. Johnson have been playing well, and would like to know if anyone is having a comparable performance to Phaneuf's?

To what degree did Phaneuf dominate? Or does the hype machine deserve most of the credit?

Macman

May 15, 2004
No hype. He was great. He laid out a number of massive hits and was also great on the power play.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
thadiggitystank said:
I've always heard about how dominant he was during this tournament, but truthfully, I'm not familiar with what he did to warrant such credit. I just recently expanded my hockey horizons beyond the NHL, so cut me some slack.

The main reason I'm curious is because guys like Bourdon and E. Johnson have been playing well, and would like to know if anyone is having a comparable performance to Phaneuf's?

To what degree did Phaneuf dominate? Or does the hype machine deserve most of the credit?
He was easily twice as good as those guys his second year. He was completely dominant defensively and physically. Often times he'd dog it on dump ins to let the opposing player get the puck first just so he could hit them. By the end of the tourny players just bailed instead. One game he played virtually a whole double minor PK. He did have one short break in between two 1:45 or so shifts. He scored goals and also he did the famous double dion.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Macman said:
No hype. He was great. He laid out a number of massive hits and was also great on the power play.

Yeah, remember him knocking out Olesz with that bone crushing hit!

It's a joke cuz JJ is being compared to Dion and he has done nothing yet and the closest he's come to knocking anyone out he had to sucker them!! :biglaugh:

Rotang

Sep 30, 2005
Dallas, TX
therealdeal said:
He was easily twice as good as those guys his second year. He was completely dominant defensively and physically. Often times he'd dog it on dump ins to let the opposing player get the puck first just so he could hit them. By the end of the tourny players just bailed instead. One game he played virtually a whole double minor PK. He did have one short break in between two 1:45 or so shifts. He scored goals and also he did the famous double dion.
I figured as much after seeing him play against full grown men in the NHL. It's scary to think how good he can in a few years with more experience and added strength.

I wasn't trying to discredit Phaneuf or anything, just wanted to hear some stories about how he played is all ;)

Macman

May 15, 2004
I seem to recall that Phaneuf and his partner Shea Weber went the entire tournament without an even-strength goal against. Can anybody else vouch for this?

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
I wonder, with the way the refs have been calling it pretty tight (except for last night, great job by the swedish ref), how many penalties would Phaneuf had gotten last year...Some hits he made would have been considered assaults, according to the Rusky ref who called the game a couple of nights ago...

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
I would say that the closest comparison to Phaneuf last year is Bourdon this year. He's looking pretty dominant this year, even while his defensive partner, Kris Letang, is probably the worst of all the Canadian defensemen. Bourdon's hitting shooting rushing, and putting up pretty big points for a defenseman.

The Joker*

He was a monster, Mcguire fell in love with him so you'll now hear about him constantly because he's a monster wam-a-bam

Transported Upstater

Oil3rs said:
He was a monster, Mcguire fell in love with him so you'll now hear about him constantly because he's a monster wam-a-bam

WHAMMO!!!!!!

AgentNaslund*

as a 19 year old, he played Like an NHL veteran, with his puck control and puck passing skills. Moved the puck like an NHL defencemen and he made hits like a man was hitting little boys. Some of the stuff you really have to pay extra attention too. Like watch the game like a Professional scout would. I do that all the time. He was not dynamicaly fast like Bourdon, but you get my point. Just lIke Barker. Hes not amazing this tourny, but I can see hes like and will probably become something like Eric Dejardins. Calm smooth defencemen.

BackBringCam

Nov 14, 2005
Kemptville
AgentNaslund said:
as a 19 year old, he played Like an NHL veteran, with his puck control and puck passing skills. Moved the puck like an NHL defencemen and he made hits like a man was hitting little boys. Some of the stuff you really have to pay extra attention too. Like watch the game like a Professional scout would. I do that all the time. He was not dynamicaly fast like Bourdon, but you get my point. Just lIke Barker. Hes not amazing this tourny, but I can see hes like and will probably become something like Eric Dejardins. Calm smooth defencemen.

Desjardins????? More Like Scott Stevens with lots of Offense to go with the mean streak!!!!

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
HabLover said:
Yeah, remember him knocking out Olesz with that bone crushing hit!

It's a joke cuz JJ is being compared to Dion and he has done nothing yet and the closest he's come to knocking anyone out he had to sucker them!! :biglaugh:

Never heard once JJ compared to Dion. Think you made it up so you can take a dig at JJ?

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think anybody will get a chance to see Bourdon play a second tourney the way Phaneuf did. In all likelihood, he will make the Canucks team next season barring any freak injury.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
RedWingFan said:
Never heard once JJ compared to Dion. Think you made it up so you can take a dig at JJ?
JJ has been compared to Phaneuf every day on this board for the last year. Where have you been? After watching 2 USA games so far this tourney I think JJ has a long way to go to warrant those comparisons.

sbutler66

Feb 25, 2004
For lack of a better expression, he really was a monster in last years WJCs. Solid in every aspect of the game, huge hits, well timed hits.

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
ryz said:
JJ has been compared to Phaneuf every day on this board for the last year. Where have you been? After watching 2 USA games so far this tourney I think JJ has a long way to go to warrant those comparisons.

Ahhhh From people on this board. I thought we were talking about people with some sort of hockey sense like scouts, coaches or some of the scouting publications and not some 15 year old kid who has basically seen these two players only on the nightly TSN highlights.

Then your right. The same guy who is comparing JJ to Dion also is stating that Bobby Ryan skates like Bobby Orr so I'll go out on a big limb like you and say :teach: "Bobby Ryan has a long way to go to warrant those comparisons"

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
RedWingFan said:
Ahhhh From people on this board. I thought we were talking about people with some sort of hockey sense like scouts, coaches or some of the scouting publications and not some 15 year old kid who has basically seen these two players only on the nightly TSN highlights.

Then your right. The same guy who is comparing JJ to Dion also is stating that Bobby Ryan skates like Bobby Orr so I'll go out on a big limb like you and say :teach: "Bobby Ryan has a long way to go to warrant those comparisons"

Since you've only had 125 posts on HF, I don't know what board you have been on where they are comparing Bobby Ryan's skating to Bobby Orr! :shakehead Like I said, I don't know where you've come from, but there are some very knowledgable people around here, including myself! :D

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Phaneuf was the most dominant player I have ever seen at the world juniors last year, playing 30+ minutes nearly all the time, added offense, dominated opposing players physically and didn't let anyone score. He completely shut down Ovechkin in the gold medal game, he really was a man playing against boys last year.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
missinthejets said:
Phaneuf was the most dominant player I have ever seen at the world juniors last year, playing 30+ minutes nearly all the time, added offense, dominated opposing players physically and didn't let anyone score. He completely shut down Ovechkin in the gold medal game, he really was a man playing against boys last year.

yeha he was good all right, but i dont think he was as dominant as lindros was in 91..... he was a human wrecking ball and was near the lead in scoring as well

rulin

Jan 30, 2004
Oil3rs said:

Heh, exactly.

No doubt in my mind he was great for Canada, but there's no need to constantly refer to him as though he was some sort of god from the past.

Transported Upstater

HabLover said:
Since you've only had 125 posts on HF, I don't know what board you have been on where they are comparing Bobby Ryan's skating to Bobby Orr! :shakehead Like I said, I don't know where you've come from, but there are some very knowledgable people around here, including myself! :D

Knowledgeable maybe, but biased as well.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
jadeddog said:
yeha he was good all right, but i dont think he was as dominant as lindros was in 91..... he was a human wrecking ball and was near the lead in scoring as well

well to be fair I'm a wee bit to young to really remember the WJC in 91...

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm sorry... I think I must have stepped in to a time machine by mistake...

Did Pierre MacGuire start this thread?

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Macman said:
I seem to recall that Phaneuf and his partner Shea Weber went the entire tournament without an even-strength goal against. Can anybody else vouch for this?

Half of Team Canada last year was not on for an even strength goal against! And I am not kidding! Ryan Getzlaf was +14 if you can believe it! Phaneuf was +7, but was on the ice for 1 even strength goal against. His partner Shea Weber was actually +10 and was not on the ice for any even strength goals against. Here is a list of some of the others who were not on the ice for an even strength goal against during the entire tourney. Ladd, Carter, Dawes, Richards, Stewart, Fraser and Macarthur. How good would that feel hey, to go like 6 games and not be on the ice for any goals against!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->