Post-Game Talk: PGT no one wants to make apparently...Preds 3 Habs 1

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Sometimes it's like only goaltending have an effect on momentum....but that's Montreal....the goalie made one mistake and it's all his fault for either the lost or momentum killer. Some players will miss wide open net 5 times a night or make 5 turnovers but they are allowed mistakes, even 4-5 times a night....still the one mistake the goalie made is the one we looked at.

But missing a wide open net is a momentum killer
Doing nothing on the PP is a momentum killer
That turnover from Benn was a momentum killer
Looking at Drouin doing nothing is a momentum killer
Taking a bad penalty is a momentum killer.

And it's equally affecting the game and the momentum as the mistake of a goaltenders.

But a bad goal from a goalie shouldn't be consider a bigger mistake or momentum killer than a turnover or missing wide open net or a dreadful powerplay.

You say: "One save can make the difference and Rinne made it"
It's equally true to say that: "One goal could have made the difference and X player blew it and Boyle scored it''

Now why not pin this on Price?
Cause the team wasn't flying in the 1st period and wasn't "all over them" but Price kept them at 0 despite getting 16-17 shots.....Do you think that had an effect on the momentum going in the 2nd period?
You should know by now that logic isnt in his vocabulary

Reactions: Milhouse40

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
The result of this game does not reflect the game at all.

Habs shoots alot but many of those shots are god tier garbage.
Missing way 2 many open nets and some players are still not in playing in their spots. I dont care about the finnish line , Its only Kotkaniemi doing shit on that f***ing line. Armia and Lekhonen in my eyes are 4th liners and Shaw dont belong in a top6 , same for Byron who should be playing with Kotkaniemi when hes back.

Im so tired of those damn easy missed goals. Always the same 4 players missing them.

Im also tired of Kirk Muller BS , always let Weber shoot on the PP it works 1/15. For the love of god remove Armia from the powerplay this dude is like 25 year olds and still has no powerplay goals

Reactions: Milhouse40

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Correct. I have watched the goal highlight 4 times and in my estimation he only saw the puck from about the top of the circle in thus affecting his ability to react. We on the other hand did not get any traffic in front of Rinne but Price had to deal with it all night long.

We peppered Rinne in the second but so many shots were coming from in tight or the outside with no real danger. The few very few deflections we had were of no danger and like you said, there just wasn’t enough traffic. He did make an incredible save on Shaw but that reality is if that same shot was taking by an actual goalscorer, it likely gets placed into the top corner. Our team has the ability to control play for large portions of the game, it’s a shame that year after year we continue to lack finishers.

As for Price, 2nd and 3rd goals weren’t his fault. You can make a case for the 1st goal as he definitely wanted to put that rebound in the corner as opposed to the slot and his reaction after it came off of him tells it all. But there were some awful mistakes on that play from the terrible turnover by Drouin to Kulak letting his man get behind him. The score flattered us. We only showed up for 20 minutes and didn’t deserve to win.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Well, in fairness, there’s ~ $60M spent on the rest of the team. What are they accountable for?

Anyhow, I think Carey could had been better for sure.

They played a decent game on the road IMO.

A ton of shots, a lot of scoring chances...

We were right there with them let's be honest...

Drouin's pass was egregious and caused an odd-man rush. Same as Benn's.

Price making 10.5 million a year doesn't change the way hockey has always been played. Terrible turnovers leading to odd man rushes are death pretty much every time, whether you're Red Light Racicot or Patrick Roy in the playoffs. Trying to make a cross ice pass at the blueline is a Pee-Wee level bush league mistake, and Jordie Benn thought he was Drew Doughty for two seconds.

Nashville wouldn't be considered a contender if they didn't score on those. Notice how we got a couple and didn't? We're not there yet.

Again, there're mistakes/turnovers that are just irreparable and I would never bring them up but that Drouin turnover was repairable.

Carey was as disgusted by that blocker save as much as I am! He knew he made a mistake.
What would cause a GM to do that is the bigger ?

He had no choice honestly.

Sometimes it's like only goaltending have an effect on momentum....but that's Montreal....the goalie made one mistake and it's all his fault for either the lost or momentum killer. Some players will miss wide open net 5 times a night or make 5 turnovers but they are allowed mistakes, even 4-5 times a night....still the one mistake the goalie made is the one we looked at.

But missing a wide open net is a momentum killer
Doing nothing on the PP is a momentum killer
That turnover from Benn was a momentum killer
Looking at Drouin doing nothing is a momentum killer
Taking a bad penalty is a momentum killer.

And it's equally affecting the game and the momentum as the mistake of a goaltenders.

But a bad goal from a goalie shouldn't be consider a bigger mistake or momentum killer than a turnover or missing wide open net or a dreadful powerplay.

You say: "One save can make the difference and Rinne made it"
It's equally true to say that: "One goal could have made the difference and X player blew it and Boyle scored it''

Now why not pin this on Price?
Cause the team wasn't flying in the 1st period and wasn't "all over them" but Price kept them at 0 despite getting 16-17 shots.....Do you think that had an effect on the momentum going in the 2nd period?

The difference is that while missing empty nets you don't really get deflated, you keep pushing because you think next time you'll get it!

But when you're completely dominating the opponent and outshooting him 12 to 1 and they score on their second shot it's a momentum killer!

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
They played a decent game on the road IMO.

A ton of shots, a lot of scoring chances...

We were right there with them let's be honest...

Again, there're mistakes/turnovers that are just irreparable and I would never bring them up but that Drouin turnover was repairable.

Carey was as disgusted by that blocker save as much as I am! He knew he made a mistake.

He had no choice honestly.

The difference is that while missing empty nets you don't really get deflated, you keep pushing because you think next time you'll get it!

But when you're completely dominating the opponent and outshooting him 12 to 1 and they score on their second shot it's a momentum killer!
I'm not a goalie, but I imagine it's hard to control rebounds/even think about directing them when there's a 2 on 1 situation. Your primary thought is probably "is he shooting or passing?" and with this team, for some odd reason, our D ALWAYS take the shooter and never the second guy (which is the worst thing you can do).

There are plenty of games at the start of the year and bad goals to lay at Price's feet (I thought the Nylander goal last Saturday was his softest in a while) but this isn't one of those times. We were never going to beat Nashville 1-0. Until we start scoring on the PP or bearing down on our A+ chances (like Nashville ended up doing) we will lose those games.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Correct. I have watched the goal highlight 4 times and in my estimation he only saw the puck from about the top of the circle in thus affecting his ability to react. We on the other hand did not get any traffic in front of Rinne but Price had to deal with it all night long.

You're a busy man.

Video highlight reviewer (4 times no less!)
Beer hockey league.
Proline.
Napping.

Rinse and repeat.

When's that Hockey Fan Guide to Retirement coming out? :D

Reactions: OldCraig71

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Lol.

PK is better period.

period.

You mean besides statistically? Or does he 'personality' make you giggle? Better how? More agile? Sure. Defensively? No. Better shot? No. Physically? No.

Same point totals this year, Shea has played a lot less, on what should be considered a far inferior team build. Yet PK is sucking farts out of dead chickens on a talent laden Preds team. Both bring different intangibles, PK will certainly be better as the years move on...

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
And the Coyotes win 7-1 against TB.

Means nothing.

how about this? we lost last night vs Nashville 3 to 1.....take a look at the scores right back to 2015...how many 1 goal games you see?

Feb 14 2019 Nashville 3 Montreal 1

2019/01/05 Nashville 4 - Montreal Canadiens 1

2018/02/10 Nashville 3 - Montreal Canadiens 2 (SO)

2017/11/22 Nashville 3 - Montreal Canadiens 2 (SO)

2017/03/02 Nashville 1 - Montreal Canadiens 2

2017/01/03 Nashville 1 - Montreal Canadiens 2 (OT)

2016/02/22 Nashville 2 - Montreal Canadiens 1 (SO)

2015/12/21 Nashville 5 - Montreal Canadiens 1

2015/03/24 Nashville 3 - Montreal Canadiens 2 (OT)

A 2015/01/20 Nashville 1 - Montreal Canadiens 2 (OT)

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
What pisses me off about the last 2 games is that players who shouldn't be losing you games are doing just that.

I know Drouin had a bad pass to set up a Nashville goal, but he contributes offensively to the team, and has assisted on or scored game winning goals.

But, no way should the 4th line or a bottom pairing D be blowing games.

Against TML, it was our 4th line and that got a make over. (Thompson was ok. Big strong guy, with face-off skills and decent defensively.)

Against Nashville, it was Benn. That game winning goal was a back breaker. Benn gets himself into trouble when he thinks he's better than he is. Just dump the puck in. What is he doing skating it up like that?

Really need to replace him.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
What pisses me off about the last 2 games is that players who shouldn't be losing you games are doing just that.

I know Drouin had a bad pass to set up a Nashville goal, but he contributes offensively to the team, and has assisted on or scored game winning goals.

But, no way should the 4th line or a bottom pairing D be blowing games.

Against TML, it was our 4th line and that got a make over. (Thompson was ok. Big strong guy, with face-off skills and decent defensively.)

Against Nashville, it was Benn. That game winning goal was a back breaker. Benn gets himself into trouble when he thinks he's better than he is. Just dump the puck in. What is he doing skating it up like that?

Really need to replace him.

lol...since 2015

we lost 7 of our last 10 against Nashville...

and in those 10 games...7 games was decided by 1 goal..not bad eh?

Habs had them 1-1 late in the 3rd last night..another close game..

Nashville has been a CUP favorite 2015 to 18-19

MONTREAL HAS NOT BEEN

Habs play them close...we are NOT READY yet...but it so very encouraging to see how close we are..

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Rinne stopped multiples shots that shouldn't have been stopped. Price wasn't too weak. Just that is a huge difference. People don't understand that you don't need your goalie to be awfully weak to say that he should have been better. Top goalies save shots they shouldn't. Why they are top goalie. EXACTLY what Price has done for quite a while this year....he didn't do enough yesterday paired with Rinne doing a WHOLE lot.

But it's just one game. It explains the game. It doesn't say **** about what happened and what will happen.
I only saw the highlights from last night but in general, Montreal needs to do a better job of screening goalies. It's a lot easier for them to stop the puck when they can see the shot. On Nashville's go ahead goal Price has no idea where that puck is and we have to do more of that in the other end. That's the downside of being small upfront. We can use speed to our advantage but size is great for getting in the goalie's way. Sometimes you need to score a dirty goal.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
How were the goals ? I was watching for the 1st one, but missed it. Missed the last 3 scored in the game.
2nd one for NSH Price was screened pretty bad. Looked kinda soft at first but replays showed his vision was impaired.

Our goal was pretty great, awesome 2 on 2 execution by Shaw and Tatar.

Their third goal was a result of Benn trying to skate it up the ice and passing it into a group of a bunch of players, which created an odd man rush and a tic-tac-toe situation for NSH.

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
The result of this game does not reflect the game at all.

Habs shoots alot but many of those shots are god tier garbage.
Missing way 2 many open nets and some players are still not in playing in their spots. I dont care about the finnish line , Its only Kotkaniemi doing **** on that ****ing line. Armia and Lekhonen in my eyes are 4th liners and Shaw dont belong in a top6 , same for Byron who should be playing with Kotkaniemi when hes back.

Im so tired of those damn easy missed goals. Always the same 4 players missing them.

Im also tired of Kirk Muller BS , always let Weber shoot on the PP it works 1/15. For the love of god remove Armia from the powerplay this dude is like 25 year olds and still has no powerplay goals

Kotkienmi has been a turnover machine the last two games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
2nd one for NSH Price was screened pretty bad. Looked kinda soft at first but replays showed his vision was impaired.

Our goal was pretty great, awesome 2 on 2 execution by Shaw and Tatar.

Their third goal was a result of Benn trying to skate it up the ice and passing it into a group of a bunch of players, which created an odd man rush and a tic-tac-toe situation for NSH.

A goalie makes tons of saves when their vision is impaired. With a safe and great technical position. He didn't on that goal. Then, again, I have no idea why people analyse Price by the BAD goals he gives. When we praise him, we praise him for the miracles he does. But when we bash him, we should only look at the pee-wee goals he gives?

And some will say that the first one, while a great eye-hand goal, he gave that easy rebound right in front of him instead of to the side. This is pro goalies we are talking about. They can do whatever they want with a shot. He usually does it. And that shot, wasn't a Weber slapper. He could have done a better one. That 3rd? It's Carey Price. A guy that shouldn't be judged the same way we judge Jake Allen.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
how about this? we lost last night vs Nashville 3 to 1.....take a look at the scores right back to 2015...how many 1 goal games you see?

Feb 14 2019 Nashville 3 Montreal 1

2019/01/05 Nashville 4 - Montreal Canadiens 1

2018/02/10 Nashville 3 - Montreal Canadiens 2 (SO)

2017/11/22 Nashville 3 - Montreal Canadiens 2 (SO)

2017/03/02 Nashville 1 - Montreal Canadiens 2

2017/01/03 Nashville 1 - Montreal Canadiens 2 (OT)

2016/02/22 Nashville 2 - Montreal Canadiens 1 (SO)

2015/12/21 Nashville 5 - Montreal Canadiens 1

2015/03/24 Nashville 3 - Montreal Canadiens 2 (OT)

A 2015/01/20 Nashville 1 - Montreal Canadiens 2 (OT)
I see 7-1-2 for NSH and 3-3-4 for MTL.

56-8-16 over 80 games for NSH and 24-24-32 for MTL. :laugh:

But yeah, we were right there with'em :sarcasm:

Winning 1 goal games is the Preds bread and butter. They dont play to blow teams out like TB. You saw last night how they started To play after getting the 3-1 lead?

Reactions: PaulD

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I see 7-1-2 for NSH and 3-3-4 for MTL.

56-8-16 over 80 games for NSH and 24-24-32 for MTL. :laugh:

But yeah, we were right there with'em :sarcasm:

Winning 1 goal games is the Preds bread and butter. They dont play to blow teams out like TB. You saw last night how they started To play after getting the 3-1 lead?

Max...did you miss the fact in our last 10 games vs Nashville , 7 games was decided by 1 Goal......hey????

I would say yeah, we are "right there with'em"

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Players don't care if they were dominating and get scored on just like last night when those open nets happened after the so-called deflating goals that killed everything, they were still going for it and pretty much their best scoring chances.

But hey better blame Price for a softie after saving the day in the 1st period cause obviously, Marc Bergevin in 7 years build a team that should easily compete with a team like Nashville, right?

How many goals for the Habs against Nashville this season...

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
You mean besides statistically? Or does he 'personality' make you giggle? Better how? More agile? Sure. Defensively? No. Better shot? No. Physically? No.

Same point totals this year, Shea has played a lot less, on what should be considered a far inferior team build. Yet PK is sucking farts out of dead chickens on a talent laden Preds team. Both bring different intangibles, PK will certainly be better as the years move on...

Wow ok.

You sound like you hate Subby. That or you just hate the fact that we still love him.

This is the only year Weber is better than Subban and that's bcuz Subban is injured.
Prime Subban farts on Prime Weber.

He already has a sc final. So plzzzzzz

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Max...did you miss the fact in our last 10 games vs Nashville , 7 games was decided by 1 Goal......hey????

I would say yeah, we are "right there with'em"
Whatever floats your boat mate. We are "right there with'em". I dont like to lie to myself, but to each is own

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Whatever floats your boat mate. We are "right there with'em". I dont like to lie to myself, but to each is own

5 minute major for not understanding... Max,.,.,., ;)

Mathematics says ..if you play 10 games and 7 of them was decided by just 1 goal ...you played the other team very close...the end

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad