Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
That's fair, but it's very different from saying that "Actors and actresses in general should leave that to those whose job it is to analyze politics," which is really an appalling thing to suggest.

It's true that those in the public eye shouldn't be viewed as an authority on politics just because they're famous, and they certainly aren't representative of the people, but it's still a better alternative than nobody voicing their opinion other than the guys who are a part of that machinery.

It's not like the average person would have more of a platform if celebrities didn't do it.

I think I just worded my original gripe a little poorly and without context. On the other end I really don't listen to pundits all that much either as I prefer to think for myself (not suggesting that those who do can't think for themselves mind you. I have my own issues with the mainstream news media on both sides of the aisle that I'm not gonna get into).

On a personal level I don't mind if a celebrity discusses politics but when it gets preachy I just tune out and as a result on the whole I tend to tune it out regardless.

Honestly I would take my opinions on political discourse lightly as I'm of the mind that the state of political discourse is in a sad and viciously divisive state these days.
I think people's issues with it developed because how we view celebrities. I don't consider them to be above anyone so when they want to preach politics, I don't really feel like I'm being spoken down to or condescended. Just a regular person sharing their views albeit to a much wider audience.

In the cases of some like Patricia Arquette in her acceptance speech a while back, it's fine.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Following up on the Crown vs Westworld, I can understand why The Crown beat out Westworld for best drama. It's a well crafted period piece with solid acting all around. And Claire Foy is good as Elizabeth II. Quite good in fact. But not better than Evan Rachel Wood as Dolores Abernathy in Westworld. Her role is not nearly as demanding, nor does it ask to challenge her range nearly as much as the character of Dolores does. A requirement that Evan Rachel Wood knocks out of the park. I had hoped to be blown away by Claire Foy and I wasn't. I'm joining in calling this a big snub.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The Crown is a lot more accessible than Westworld.

I'm a little disappointed I guess but at the same time, they're just awards.

Word of mouth for Westworld is very strong.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The Crown is a lot more accessible than Westworld.

I'm a little disappointed I guess but at the same time, they're just awards.

Word of mouth for Westworld is very strong.

Didn't a lot more people actually watch Westworld?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Following up on the Crown vs Westworld, I can understand why The Crown beat out Westworld for best drama. It's a well crafted period piece with solid acting all around. And Claire Foy is good as Elizabeth II. Quite good in fact. But not better than Evan Rachel Wood as Dolores Abernathy in Westworld. Her role is not nearly as demanding, nor does it ask to challenge her range nearly as much as the character of Dolores does. A requirement that Evan Rachel Wood knocks out of the park. I had hoped to be blown away by Claire Foy and I wasn't. I'm joining in calling this a big snub.

Most actors that attempt what Evan Rachel Wood pulled off masterfully fall flat or end up looking ridiculous. What she was required to do over and over can't be understated and it's a shame she wasn't awarded for it.

How many actors can go from a hysterical crying fit to a normal conversation, while also switching accents, all while looking perfectly natural doing it? Or pull off the damsel in distress role and the dangerous killer role while looking legit as both? Incredible acting and she stole the show.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Most actors that attempt what Evan Rachel Wood pulled off masterfully fall flat or end up looking ridiculous. What she was required to do over and over can't be understated and it's a shame she wasn't awarded for it.

How many actors can go from a hysterical crying fit to a normal conversation, while also switching accents, all while looking perfectly natural doing it? Or pull off the damsel in distress role and the dangerous killer role while looking legit as both? Incredible acting and she stole the show.

Agreed. But even in single moments of acting she is superior. For instance in the finale. Her scene...to avoid spoilers, I'm just gonna say her key scene with Ed Harris, requires the portrayal of a level of sorrow and anger that is challenging to be believable and she pulls it off with aplomb. Unless some very dramatic things happen in the final two episodes of the Crown, I must say that Foy doesn't do anything close to this. She affects a regal accent well and more than adequately displays the frustration I'm sure Elizabeth II truly felt at her inability to do much as monarch, but her frustration at most has come to losing patience in an otherwise regally calm and proper demeanor.

Not to disparage Foy or the Crown because it's well done, but ERW put on a performance that is a shining example of acting for actresses in TV and got snubbed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad