PGT: 2017 Golden Globe Awards

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Streep is a hag. She acts the same character in the same movie year after year and then gets pranced around like a piglet on a leash at these silly awards shows. I do like the glasses though.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Meryl Street hopping on the "I don't know the difference between legal and illegal immigration" bandwagon

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Gonna have to watch the Crown because I can't fathom how Evan Rachel Wood didn't win best actress. Her performance was one of the best by an actress in any show I can remember IMO.

I can maybe understand Westworld losing best drama but I think it's time I stop putting the Crown off.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Gonna have to watch the Crown because I can't fathom how Evan Rachel Wood didn't win best actress. Her performance was one of the best by an actress in any show I can remember IMO.

I can maybe understand Westworld losing best drama but I think it's time I stop putting the Crown off.

Yup, the next day and I'm still stunned that she didn't win. I'd easily rank her up there with the best TV performances ever in my opinion.

The range of emotions she had to do, and the jarring shifts between them were perfectly done. Not to mention the sudden accent changes, the development of her character, etc. Incredible performance and she outdid even Hopkins, who I can't believe wasn't nominated.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I started The Crown fully expecting to turn it off inside of 25 minutes....that didn't happen. It is very, very good.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yup, the next day and I'm still stunned that she didn't win. I'd easily rank her up there with the best TV performances ever in my opinion.

The range of emotions she had to do, and the jarring shifts between them were perfectly done. Not to mention the sudden accent changes, the development of her character, etc. Incredible performance and she outdid even Hopkins, who I can't believe wasn't nominated.

Agreed 100%. While I still have some great shows on my back list to check out (most notably The Wire. I just can never make myself start), Wood stands out as one of the best performances I can remember across the mediums of film and television. Both Woods and Hopkins on their own add a ton of quality to an already great series. I better be blown away by Claire Foy.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley

Yeah, I've got it on my list. I highly doubt the performance will be better than Rachel's. There would have to be 2 of the best performances of the last 10 years at least in 1 year.

That's why with all of the other surprises I said it seemed like they were giving awards to shows very few watched in hopes of getting people to watch them.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah, I've got it on my list. I highly doubt the performance will be better than Rachel's. There would have to be 2 of the best performances of the last 10 years at least in 1 year.

That's why with all of the other surprises I said it seemed like they were giving awards to shows very few watched in hopes of getting people to watch them.

Two episodes in and I'm not quite seeing it. Not seeing this over Westworld either. It's a good show, for sure. And Claire Foy does have talent but I've yet to see what makes her performance superior.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I saw both The Night Manager and Westworld, and while Olivia Colman was solid, she wasn't close to as good as Thandie Newton.
I can't stand Olivia Coleman in anything. Never understood what the big deal about her is. And she certainly wasn't some big stand-out in The Night Manager either.

I liked the first two episodes of The Crown (E01 a little more than E02), but I just can't seem to care enough to go back and continue.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Streep is a hag. She acts the same character in the same movie year after year and then gets pranced around like a piglet on a leash at these silly awards shows.

otGVZF2.gif

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Streep is a legend. You guys are definitely in the minority.

Her '' football and mma '' comment while finger-wagging was freaking awful though. I thought that was worse than Hiddleson's speech. That's the sort of snotty behavior from celebrities that people tend to resent enormously. And frankly, if someone wants to make a pledge for the arts, for the love of god, don't get an actress to do it. Get someone more involved in the artistic process/creative to make that plea (but that's not really directed towards Streep herself, more towards actors in general). I mean, I agreed with most of her points, but Hollywood patting itself on the back is never a good look.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
She's unquestionably a fantastic actress but there should really be no question that a significant element of her legend is generated by Hollywood's adoration of her.

I don't care so much that she used her speech to make a big political statement as much as I do that actors and actresses in general should leave that to those whose job it is to analyze politics. Not that I don't occasionally agree with them but when I hear it coming from an actor I just feel this urge to tune it out or fast forward past whatever they're talking about.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
She's unquestionably a fantastic actress but there should really be no question that a significant element of her legend is generated by Hollywood's adoration of her.

I don't care so much that she used her speech to make a big political statement as much as I do that actors and actresses in general should leave that to those whose job it is to analyze politics. Not that I don't occasionally agree with them but when I hear it coming from an actor I just feel this urge to tune it out or fast forward past whatever they're talking about.
Isn't part of the idea of a participatory democracy that everybody's job is to analyze politics? Is Meryl Streep really less equipped than Sean Hannity to give an informed opinion? Rather than conveniently "tune it out," wouldn't it be more advantageous for you as a citizen to join in the conversation?

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Isn't part of the idea of a participatory democracy that everybody's job is to analyze politics? Is Meryl Streep really less equipped than Sean Hannity to give an informed opinion? Rather than conveniently "tune it out," wouldn't it be more advantageous for you as a citizen to join in the conversation?

She has every right to give her opinion, I just wouldn't call it an "informed" one.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
If I was a celebrity, I'd probably vocalize my frustrated political thoughts tbh.

Never had an issue when celebrities did it even if I disagreed. In fact I like it a lot of the time.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Just a personal thing I guess. I don't like being preached at. That's my real issue. There's a certain condescending holier than thou air about the way they do it that I don't jive with.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Just a personal thing I guess. I don't like being preached at. That's my real issue. There's a certain condescending holier than thou air about the way they do it that I don't jive with.

That's fair, but it's very different from saying that "Actors and actresses in general should leave that to those whose job it is to analyze politics," which is really an appalling thing to suggest.

It's true that those in the public eye shouldn't be viewed as an authority on politics just because they're famous, and they certainly aren't representative of the people, but it's still a better alternative than nobody voicing their opinion other than the guys who are a part of that machinery.

It's not like the average person would have more of a platform if celebrities didn't do it.

Last edited:

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I think people's issues with it developed because how we view celebrities. I don't consider them to be above anyone so when they want to preach politics, I don't really feel like I'm being spoken down to or condescended. Just a regular person sharing their views albeit to a much wider audience.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Did anyone else find it funny that she mentioned MMA as being one of the only sports left, if excluding foreigners. Maybe it's changed a lot since I used to watch, but it used to be a lot of brazillians and other nationalities.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
She has every right to give her opinion, I just wouldn't call it an "informed" one.
Why? I'll bet she has a lot of time on her hands, certainly way more than enough to be "informed." Who are these magical people with "informed" opinions? Politicians? Editorial writers? News casters? John Stewart, a comedian, certainly seems to have an informed opinion, so why can't Merly Streep? Any adult in a democracy should have an informed opinion because a democracy possesses a free press. That responsibility should not be shifted to stand ins. If one doesn't have an informed opinion, that is a reflection of that person and where and how he or she decides to spend their time. There is no cabal of elite thinkers to whom we can or should delegate the responsibility of being informed. If you haven't done the necessary reading and thinking to have an informed opinion, I would suggest that is your problem, not Ms. Streep's, and she should not be criticized for fulfilling one of the most basic responsibilities of a citizen in a democracy.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Streep has every right to say what she thinks and I certainly agree on her on many of the things she said, but like many of the speeches (Viola Davis, Hiddelston) it was so blowhardy.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
While I have no idea what specific ignorance he's eluding to or if there's any legitimacy to the criticism, I think he's probably suggesting that Streep's opinion isn't informed in this case, not that it inherently can't be because she's an actress.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad