PG Cougars have been sold.

TimeForAnOilChange

From OTTERS 2 OILERS
May 4, 2010
Made by MacTambLowe
I wasn't around back then but I was in attendance for the 07 playoffs when we swept the Blazers. I'd love to see the building as loud as it was then.

That was nothing compared to back in the late 90s - early 2000s, it was absolutely insane atmosphere back then, and not just playoffs....every single regular season game it was deafening in there, and it was impossible for either team to communicate on the ice because of the noise...good times. The '07 playoffs were ok, but nowhere near as loud as back then. Back then, it was loud for the entire game, we chanted for 60 minutes, whether the team was winning or not.

Anyways, i'll parrot what PG Canuck has been saying in here, its exciting for our town to have real owners (including a local guy, which makes me think it wont get moved, plus the fact that Brewer and Hammer both played here and have ties to the city, both of their wives are from here), who have said that they will be using their NHL ties to try to help turn the team around....I hope the people come back now that it wont be run like a family business anymore. I know that was a HUGE bone of contention here in town.

Oh, and the Cougars also signed a 10 yr lease with the city a couple years ago as well, so I don't even think they can move the team before then anyways.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
That was nothing compared to back in the late 90s - early 2000s, it was absolutely insane atmosphere back then, and not just playoffs....every single regular season game it was deafening in there, and it was impossible for either team to communicate on the ice because of the noise...good times. The '07 playoffs were ok, but nowhere near as loud as back then. Back then, it was loud for the entire game, we chanted for 60 minutes, whether the team was winning or not.

Anyways, i'll parrot what PG Canuck has been saying in here, its exciting for our town to have real owners (including a local guy, which makes me think it wont get moved, plus the fact that Brewer and Hammer both played here and have ties to the city, both of their wives are from here), who have said that they will be using their NHL ties to try to help turn the team around....I hope the people come back now that it wont be run like a family business anymore. I know that was a HUGE bone of contention here in town.

Oh, and the Cougars also signed a 10 yr lease with the city a couple years ago as well, so I don't even think they can move the team before then anyways.

That is the biggest factor me thinks. of course winning will help, but with new ownership. Attendance should jump to a respectable level.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
My wife has family in PG who have grown completely indifferent with the Cougars over the years and started going to Spruce Kings games instead. They know they're not going to become contenders overnight, but they're excited to have Brewer and Hammer on board and optimistic it will turn the team around off the ice.

TimeForAnOilChange

From OTTERS 2 OILERS
May 4, 2010
Made by MacTambLowe
That is the biggest factor me thinks. of course winning will help, but with new ownership. Attendance should jump to a respectable level.

Yeah, I think that was the biggest factor in the attendance, and I'm hoping attendance will go back up because of new ownership. You're right though, winning obviously helps, but having the NHL connections should help everything from coaching, to scouting, to recruiting hopefully.

billybobjoe2112

Feb 2, 2010
Prince George B.C.
Tonight the Cougars played their first home exhibition game with new ownership. I haven't heard official numbers, but it looked like there were more people in attendance than half of last season. Things are looking up for us. I can't wait for Sept. 26th and opening night.

Oct 15, 2008
They get beat 7-2, attendance is 5659.

Next night they get beat 8-2, attendance is 2581.

Looks like they could use a good road trip.

billybobjoe2112

Feb 2, 2010
Prince George B.C.
Two big losses, but it was still the most fun I've had at a hockey game in many years. These new owners have outdone themselves. Here's a post I found on facebook about Pocock. This dude is a class act.

Massive Hell Yeah to the new Prince George Cougars owner Greg Pocock, and here's why. I cohost a sports talk radio program here in town we asked the Cougars if we could get a few minutes of Greg's time for an interview. We were expecting an over the phone thing but we were pleasantly suprised when he offered to come to the studio on Wednesday the 24th. What we originally thought was going to be a 5-10 minute interview turned into a half hour long discussion, and he could not have been any nicer. But it doesn't stop there. After he found out me and my cohost were big fans of the team and long time supporters, he asked us if we wanted to come by the next day (thursday) and he would show us around the rink. We obviously agreed. So thursday roles around and we show up to the CN Center at about 545, and Greg meets us in the concourse. His idea of being "shown around the rink" was an hour long tour of the ENTIRE facility, all the way up to the press box down to the dressing rooms and coaching offices. He took time to show us all the amazing changes he made for the players and explain each and every one in detail. On what was probably the busiest day of the season, the night before the home opener, he took a full hour out of his time just to show a couple of fans around on a deluxe tour and he was just the definition of hospitality and class. We were absolutley blown away by his actions. The team got killed in the opening game, but with the amount of time, effort, and thinking, not to mention money, that the new owners have put into the team, this is finally a franchise that PG'ers should feel good to support. So Hell Yeah Greg Pocock, and thanks again!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad