GDT: PFL 1/Bellator 293: Golm vs. James

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Was looking at Moraes and Santos last few fights before their leaving of the ufc... and sheesh these guys had a gauntlet there at the end.

Moraes 4 straight losses: Merab, Sandhagen, Font and Yadong

Thiago lost 5 of 6: Jones, Glover, Hill, Ankalaev and Rakic.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Was looking at Moraes and Santos last few fights before their leaving of the ufc... and sheesh these guys had a gauntlet there at the end.

Moraes 4 straight losses: Merab, Sandhagen, Font and Yadong

Thiago lost 5 of 6: Jones, Glover, Hill, Ankalaev and Rakic.

The weird part is there's an alternate timeline where Moraes beats Merab and Santos beats Jon Jones as both were really close to happening. This sport is wild sometimes.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If Thiago beats Rob it bodes well for his chances in the tourney imo. Wilkinson was very good last season- a little hittable because he’s not super athletic but he’s in great shape, is very durable, and looks pretty big for 205

Putting Marlon in there against Loughnane is malpractice. Recently interviewed somebody who trained with Marlon and he basically said once coaches saw what happens when you apply pressure on him it was over for him

Reactions: m9

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
The weird part is there's an alternate timeline where Moraes beats Merab and Santos beats Jon Jones as both were really close to happening. This sport is wild sometimes.
I still don't know how merab survived that first round I thought he was done

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Silveira was in the best shape I’ve seen him in and he looked really good against a guy much more physically imposing than him. Well done. Good prospect.

Have him parlayed with Loughnane and Movlid for -190

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Couple snoozers to start off the main card. Hopefully things pick up.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I figured Belfort would be like -500 vs jacare, but who knows with this stuff

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1680425036555.png
1680425057381.png

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I hate the format in PFL. Some of the later fights in the tourney are basically meaningless. Don't understand why they can't just do some variation of a tournament instead.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I hate the format in PFL. Some of the later fights in the tourney are basically meaningless. Don't understand why they can't just do some variation of a tournament instead.
I like the PFL format. I compare the later fights in the tournament to two unranked guys fighting in the UFC. I think the point system adds value to getting finishes which is highly lost in the UFC. In PFL if you lay and pray and win a 3 round fight while another guy gets a finish, he gets more points than you and he has a better opportunity to move into the playoffs. I love that it incentivizes exciting fights.

And at least in the playoff style you know the people who deserve the title shots are moving up rather than the UFC where they just assign seemingly meaningless rankings to people and give title shots to the ones they like the most.

But everyone has their preferences.

Reactions: m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
my only problem with PFL is when shit like last season happens and you have playoff guys missing their fights due to visa issues and getting replaced in the tourney by meh fighters

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I like the PFL format. I compare the later fights in the tournament to two unranked guys fighting in the UFC. I think the point system adds value to getting finishes which is highly lost in the UFC. In PFL if you lay and pray and win a 3 round fight while another guy gets a finish, he gets more points than you and he has a better opportunity to move into the playoffs. I love that it incentivizes exciting fights.

And at least in the playoff style you know the people who deserve the title shots are moving up rather than the UFC where they just assign seemingly meaningless rankings to people and give title shots to the ones they like the most.

But everyone has their preferences.

I don't know if it really incentivizes exciting fights that much. The card this weekend was awful. Guys are going to usually fight how they want to fight, especially in the first fight.

In the second fight of the season you may get some guys who are more exciting because they need more points but you also have situations like you saw last year where some matchups are basically useless because they don't impact the standings. I think it was last year where there was a HW fight where a guy beat a guy but the loser still advanced to the playoffs because he had a finish in his first fight. It's just weird to me that a loser advances while the winner doesn't.

And like I said I was comparing more to Bellator's tourrnament style which is much better than the playoff format. I give PFL credit for trying something different but a tournament would be way better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad