Pettersson vs. Hischier

Who will be better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Hischier is obviously better today but i imagine either by the end of next season or the season after the majority of the hockey world would say Pettersson is the best from the draft except Devils, FLyers, Stars, and Aves fans because they slept on him.

I think Dallas is pretty damn happy with Heiskanen.

As for the poll, Hischier for now. Could change in the future though, remains to be seen.

Westcoastsniper

Sep 25, 2008
This is some hilarious revisionist history here now. Somehow Pettersson has always been a better prospect, had a better draft year, had better potential, etc. yet still went 5th overall.

I've heard that Hischier was more NHL ready then Pettersson in their draft year. I also heard Pettersson could have went 1st overall if he was 20 pounds heavier, which was rumored to have been said by executives at the draft.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I've heard that Hischier was more NHL ready then Pettersson in their draft year. I also heard Pettersson could have went 1st overall if he was 20 pounds heavier, which was rumored to have been said by executives at the draft.

You can keep posting this all you like, this isn't proof. Which executives said this? Does this guy have a history of credible NHL reporting and inside sources? A supposed anonymous comment means nothing, especially when it goes against everything that actually happened.

This reporters follow up tweet also directly contradicts your own narrative. Did you even read it?

Westcoastsniper

Sep 25, 2008
You can keep posting this all you like, this isn't proof. Which executives said this? Does this guy have a history of credible NHL reporting and inside sources? A supposed anonymous comment means nothing, especially when it goes against everything that actually happened.

This reporters follow up tweet also directly contradicts your own narrative. Did you even read it?

Yes, obviously there is many pieces missing to the story, however it's not a stretch to consider Pettersson had the better draft year, and had better potential. The only reason he was passed was because of size. Smaller skill/talented players always get passed up in the draft, and have a history of making teams pay for it. (Karlsson, Gaudreau, Nylander, etc...)

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Yes, obviously there is many pieces missing to the story, however it's not a stretch to consider Pettersson had the better draft year, and had better potential. The only reason he was passed was because of size. Smaller skill/talented players always get passed up in the draft, and have a history of making teams pay for it. (Karlsson, Gaudreau, Nylander, etc...)
[citation needed]

Pettersson is/was also not "smaller" either, he was underweight. Tall and lanky players don't have a history of dropping, and the players you listed are all shorter guys.

Do you know who else was underweight at the 2017 draft? Nico Hischier. He is still underweight a year later.

Westcoastsniper

Sep 25, 2008
[citation needed]

Pettersson is/was also not "smaller" either, he was underweight. Tall and lanky players don't have a history of dropping, and the players you listed are all shorter guys.

Do you know who else was underweight at the 2017 draft? Nico Hischier. He is still underweight a year later.

Hischier was at a regular NHL draft weight for a 18 year old.. around 176. Pettersson was around 15 pounds lighter than him at 161. If he we're around the same weight, which is what caused him to drop (not height) it would have been tough to pass up Pettersson.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Hischier was at a regular NHL draft weight for a 18 year old.. around 176. Pettersson was around 15 pounds lighter than him at 161. If he we're around the same weight, which is what caused him to drop (not height) it would have been tough to pass up Pettersson.
Oh so now tall and lighter players drop? You said smaller and posted a list of shorter players. You keep shifting your narrative whenever it's convenient to do so.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
EP isn't small lol those other guys were 6ft at best or shorter hence the small/skilled analogy, EP has been 6'2 for a while, his issue was weight which a lot of lanky players deal with when they're that young.

Westcoastsniper

Sep 25, 2008
Oh so now tall and lighter players drop? You said smaller and posted a list of shorter players. You keep shifting your narrative whenever it's convenient to do so.

The f***? My original post was always about weight.... It said if he WEIGHED 20 pounds heavier he would've went first overall. Wheres the shift in narrative. Learn 2 Read.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The ****? My original post was always about weight.... It said if he WEIGHED 20 pounds heavier he would've went first overall. Wheres the shift in narrative. Learn 2 Read.
Your original post was about weight, you claimed he dropped because was underweight. You followed that up by claiming that "smaller" players often drop and listed a bunch of guys who dropped because they are short, not underweight. I called you out on that and you pivoted back to underweight, without substantiating your claim that underweight guys often drop. It's pretty normal for guys to be drafted and for them to be underweight or too weak for the NHL, that isn't irregular and players don't often drop for that. Posting a list of shorter guys who fell for size concerns doesn't prove your point.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Westcoastsniper

Sep 25, 2008
Your original post was about weight, you claimed he dropped because was underweight. You followed that up by claiming that "smaller" players often drop and listed a bunch of guys who dropped because they are short, not underweight. I called you out on that and you pivoted back to underweight, without substantiating your claim that underweight guys often drop. It's pretty normal for guys to be drafted and for them to be underweight or too weak for the NHL, that isn't irregular and players don't often drop for that. Posting a list of shorter guys who fell for size concerns doesn't prove your point.

2 of those guys (nylander and karlsson) were NHL height at the draft 5'11. And dropped because both we're under 170 pounds.. Same with Gaudreau who is under 160 pounds(He is the only one both short and small). Similar to Pettersson. Smaller =/= short. And the actual definition is more relative to weight..

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
2 of those guys (nylander and karlsson) were NHL height at the draft 5'11. And dropped because both we're under 170 pounds.. Same with Gaudreau who is under 160 pounds(He is the only one both short and small). Similar to Pettersson. Smaller =/= short. And the actual definition is more relative to weight..
5'11" is small for a defenseman, and not that tall for a forward either. Pettersson was 6'2" at the draft combine, he's not at all comparable to the players you listed.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Pettersson was way behind until this poll got revived after his first game.... No one game should change your perspective of a player this much. He had a good first game, but the hype is too rich at the moment.

He will be a calder candidate and a fantastic player for vancouver (possibly a franchise player down the road), but he's getting hyped as better than last years #1 overall pick that played great in the NHL at 18yo in Hischier and Marner after back to back 60/70pt seasons plus over ppg in the playoffs last year.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Pettersson was way behind until this poll got revived after his first game.... No one game should change your perspective of a player this much. He had a good first game, but the hype is too rich at the moment.

He will be a calder candidate and a fantastic player for vancouver (possibly a franchise player down the road), but he's getting hyped as better than last years #1 overall pick that played great in the NHL at 18yo in Hischier and Marner after back to back 60/70pt seasons plus over ppg in the playoffs last year.

2 games now, but you can clearly see that he has a higher offensive ceiling than Hischier.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Alright. I liked Hischier alot in his draft year, I definitely had him #1. I was impressed with him last year. And then obviously Pettersson is my teams franchise player. So here's my take.

Hischier was closer to NHL ready, and he had an impressive year so he was the #1 pick. Pettersson's upside wasn't questioned even at the time as possibly the highest or right up there. Both guys have #1C potential, Hischier was NHL ready and Pettersson wasn't. Hischier season was impressive especially the World Junior but Petterssons PPG against men was very impressive for a draft eligible player aswell. I'd give the edge to Nico though its easy to overlook Pettersson.

Last season is a tough one to gauge. Usually I wouldn't argue with a 50 point NHL rookie season but considering Pettersson set historic records & Hischier did play with Hall. (Not that Hischier was carried or anything, I remember watching the Devils first handful of games last year and being very impressed with how seemless his transition was but it still helped compared to, say, playing with Loui Eriksson). But.....

I do I think its not as much of a slam dunk in this case. That said, I would still say Hischier was better because he actually played in the league. But that's not necessarily a knock on Pettersson as he just simply wasn't physically ready and did everything he possibly could outside the NHL. (In reality he's still physically immature now too)

Now this season Pettersson has arrived. The hype is definitely in overdrive but its kind of deserved, he's the real deal.

Its only 2 games but he could already be the Canucks best player (even over Bo & Brock) on arrival. I definitely want to see more before I set it in stone but so far he's been the best by a country mile. He's playing with Loui 'the boat anchor' Eriksson and Goldobin & needless to say there more the beneficiary of that line than Dekey Pete.

Nico is a great two-way player but Elias Pettersson intelligence on the ice is next level. And its all over the ice. He's more of a playmaker yet he shoots laser beams, defensively he's more than responsible. He literally already runs the powerplay. He basically picked up where the Twins left off and then some.

I think both guys will hit 60 points, probably more. I think this year it will be close. Long term I think both guys are #1C's but I think Pettersson has the higher ultimate upside and will be better in his prime/peak years.

I'm sure at the time of the draft teams saw the upside & thought EP would be really really good but didn't foresee this meteoric rise/overcoming of physical immaturity so quickly.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017

Did you just see pettersson scoring 2+1 in his second game?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Did you just see pettersson scoring 2+1 in his second game?
Yes, and?

This is your problem, you don't get it. He could have scored 5 points in his second game, nothing would have changed. Let's see how he has done by the end of the season and have the discussion then.

Reactions: Community

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Makes perfect sense, for most people this second game represent 50% of their viewings of Pettersson and that is obviously reflected in their opinions. Basically if you think this is a valid poll then you more or less have to judge Elias's 2 GP vs Hischier's 1 season + 1 GP.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Offensively it's gonna be Pettersson. Nico gonna be a stud 2way center in the mold of Bergeron while Petterson more of a Tavares offensive dynamo type.

Boats Ahoes

Apr 28, 2011
Boats Ahoes said:
Top 3 scorer in the NHL someday.
Lmk how that goes

9TnKZ5T.png

Going pretty well so far. Good thing I never specified sample sizes ;)

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Makes perfect sense, for most people this second game represent 50% of their viewings of Pettersson and that is obviously reflected in their opinions. Basically if you think this is a valid poll then you more or less have to judge Elias's 2 GP vs Hischier's 1 season + 1 GP.
I disagree. You can’t just pretend that EP’s draft plus one season didn’t happen. Many Canuck fans, myself included, watched him a lot last year and I assume many prospect followers did as well. Most aren’t judging him on 2 NHL games but are assessing his potential vs Hischier’s potential. Taken to the logical extreme your argument would be that any NHL player is better than any ‘unproven’ prospect. Which is obviously wrong.
Now it’s only two games but for a kid who didn’t play a lot of center last year he’s adjusted really well.
For the record, I think both teams should be very happy with their choices and that both are going to be great players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad