Pettersson vs. Hischier

Who will be better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Westcoastsniper

Sep 25, 2008
Pettersson defensively is pretty much as good as Hischier. Offensively I think Pettersson wins it. There's a reason his teammates compared him to Datsyuk stylistically. Watch his first game against the Flames and he would strip the puck from players, lifting their sticks from behind.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
Pettersson defensively is pretty much as good as Hischier. Offensively I think Pettersson wins it. There's a reason his teammates compared him to Datsyuk stylistically. Watch his first game against the Flames and he would strip the puck from players, lifting their sticks from behind.
Which is ironic because Hischier has been compared to Datsyuk. I still voted for Pettersson due to his frame compared to Hischier, but the gap is really small.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Oh I read it. I also don't agree that Hischier and Pettersson have the same offensive upside. I've seen offensive tools from Petterson that make me think he could be a Top 3 scorer in the NHL someday.

If you think that everyone who holds this opinion lacks hockey knowledge, so be it.
Lmk how that goes

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Saying "it's just one game" is moronic. Pettersson's had a ridiculously impressive developmental curve and even in his draft year you can make the argument that he was the most statistically impressive player available.

I'm still probably going to take Hischier but this is going to establish itself as a very close race in the future.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Saying "it's just one game" is moronic. Pettersson's had a ridiculously impressive developmental curve and even in his draft year you can make the argument that he was the most statistically impressive player available.

I'm still probably going to take Hischier but this is going to establish itself as a very close race in the future.
Most people don't mean they are judging this on one game, just that the one NHL game shouldn't change the result. This poll was clearly created to cash in on Pettersson's 2 point game the other night in order to get a more favorable result than the poll from earlier this year, that was lopsided towards Hischier, and by all accounts it's worked.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I don't feel there is a GM in the NHL that takes Hischier over Pettersson in a re draft. I'm not basing this on 1 NHL game, I'm basing this on the full body of work since the draft, what I think their ceilings will be. I don't say this to take anything away from Hischier, he has star potential and has already proven it at the NHL level as a teenager, that is huge. I don't feel that Hischier will ever outscore Pettersson, or possess the same skillset. Hischier may be better defensively, but don't assume that EP is a one dimensional player. He was +44 in 57 games last year, and was on the ice for less than 10 eve strength goals all year.

Both will be great #1 C's, and both teams will be very happy with the guy they have, I just feel that EP is going to have the better career of the 2.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Ill still take the guy with 52pts at 18 over the 19 year old who has played 1 NHL game
Kind of a dumb argument.
That kind of logic would mean that you would default to Hischier over Matthews or Hughes if neither had played an NHL game. Rating players is not determined by who got to the NHL first.
The board is called Hockey Futures for a reason it’s about rating players based on what you see as their upside. I doubt that anyone voting Pettersson is basing it on his one NHL game. Most of us follow top prospects after the draft and base our views on their body of work.
There’s no right or wrong answer here with two great young players. And mocking one of them by posting an absurd position does nothing to advance the debate.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
There's a reason why Nico was able to play as an 18 year old in the NHL and EP was playing in the SHL.

When you take in consideration his frame, it's amazing what he accomplished.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
There's a reason why Nico was able to play as an 18 year old in the NHL and EP was playing in the SHL.

Agreed. And the reason was that NJ has a decent team. And Vancouver was a dumpster fire. And Pettersson needed another year away from the dumpster fire to develop.
It’s not a race. The prospect who makes the NHL first isn’t the automatic winner.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Agreed. And the reason was that NJ has a decent team. And Vancouver was a dumpster fire. And Pettersson needed another year away from the dumpster fire to develop.
It’s not a race. The prospect who makes the NHL first isn’t the automatic winner.
You're right, it's not a race, but that isn't an argument that proves Pettersson is better or will be better than Hischier. Hischier was the better prospect in their draft year, he was the better prospect in the D+1 season, Pettersson is not all of a sudden the better prospect at the very start of the D+2 season. Yes, Pettersson had a very impressive SHL season, but the SHL is a far way off of the NHL as far as overall quality goes. As I posted earlier as well, NHLe, which already has a bias towards players who are good enough to make the jump, predicts 61 points for him this season based on his performance last year. That would be a great season for him and for any rookie. Just continually posting that Pettersson will be better doesn't make it so and it doesn't overturn what has been the prevailing wisdom for almost two years. You have to do better if you want to demonstrate that, or better yet, let's actually wait for some time to pass to make a reasonable assessment.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You're right, it's not a race, but that isn't an argument that proves Pettersson is better or will be better than Hischier. Hischier was the better prospect in their draft year, he was the better prospect in the D+1 season, Pettersson is not all of a sudden the better prospect at the very start of the D+2 season. Yes, Pettersson had a very impressive SHL season, but the SHL is a far way off of the NHL as far as overall quality goes. As I posted earlier as well, NHLe, which already has a bias towards players who are good enough to make the jump, predicts 61 points for him this season based on his performance last year. That would be a great season for him and for any rookie. Just continually posting that Pettersson will be better doesn't make it so and it doesn't overturn what has been the prevailing wisdom for almost two years. You have to do better if you want to demonstrate that, or better yet, let's actually wait for some time to pass to make a reasonable assessment.
I disagree. Hischier was better in their draft year but it’s not clear he was better in the draft plus one year. Getting the most points for a rookie in SHL history is indeed a very impressive draft plus one season. In fact it’s historic. Hischier also had a good season last year in a better league. 52 points is a solid season. But not historic by any stretch for a rookie.
Just continually posting he will be better because he made the show earlier on a much better team doesn’t make it so. I could cite tons of examples if you like.
No right or wrong answer here. I’m fine with you picking your guy but I fully expect Pettersson to get more points this year. We will see.

Last edited:

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Most people don't mean they are judging this on one game, just that the one NHL game shouldn't change the result. This poll was clearly created to cash in on Pettersson's 2 point game the other night in order to get a more favorable result than the poll from earlier this year, that was lopsided towards Hischier, and by all accounts it's worked.
What about the other 7 games he played in canucks jersey? He had points in all games but one.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
You mean the preseason? Preseason has never been shown to be meaningful.
It's meaningful for prospects, or they will obviously be sent down. You cant half-ass preseason unless you are an established player.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I disagree. Hischier was better in their draft year but it’s not clear he was better in the draft plus one year. Getting the most points for a rookie in SHL history is indeed a very impressive draft plus one season. In fact it’s historic. Hischier also had a good season last year in a better league. But not historic by any stretch for a rookie.
Just continually posting he will be better because he made the show earlier on a much better team doesn’t make it so. I could cite tons of examples if you like b
No right or wrong answer here. I’m fine with you picking your guy but I fully expect Pettersson to get more points this year. We will see.
Even if Pettersson gets more points this year, which I don't think he will, what does that prove? You can't spend three pages arguing against the (bad) point that short term success guarantees someone will be better long term, only to turn around and claim Pettersson outscoring Hischier this season means he will be better.

I wouldn't even be surprised if Pettersson becomes the more dynamic offensive player compared with Hischier, that is more of Pettersson's game. I have seen nothing so far to show that he will be the better player overall though.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It's meaningful for prospects, or they will obviously be sent down. You cant half-ass preseason unless you are an established player.
Of course it's meaningful for guys trying to make teams, but that isn't what you are using it for. That doesn't mean point totals, or wins, or anything else are meaningful indicators or can be used to predict future success. I guess Jesper Bratt is also a generational talent because he lit up the preseason last year.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Even if Pettersson gets more points this year, which I don't think he will, what does that prove? You can't spend three pages arguing against the (bad) point that short term success guarantees someone will be better long term, only to turn around and claim Pettersson outscoring Hischier this season means he will be better.

I wouldn't even be surprised if Pettersson becomes the more dynamic offensive player compared with Hischier, that is more of Pettersson's game. I have seen nothing so far to show that he will be the better player overall though.
Fair enough. I’ve seen nothing of Hischier’s game to suggest he will either.
You’re argument boils down to Hischier made the show first so he’s the best. Three pages of saying it doesn’t make it so.
I believe Pettersson will out score Hischier and be the better overall player. You disagree. Fine. That’s what a discussion board is for.
Like I said I’m fine with either pick.
Looks like we’re at an impasse.

Last edited:

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Of course it's meaningful for guys trying to make teams, but that isn't what you are using it for. That doesn't mean point totals, or wins, or anything else are meaningful indicators or can be used to predict future success. I guess Jesper Bratt is also a generational talent because he lit up the preseason last year.
Jesper Bratt looks pretty good. He ran out of gas last season, but the talent is there.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I disagree. Hischier was better in their draft year but it’s not clear he was better in the draft plus one year. Getting the most points for a rookie in SHL history is indeed a very impressive draft plus one season. In fact it’s historic. Hischier also had a good season last year in a better league. 52 points is a solid season. But not historic by any stretch for a rookie.
Just continually posting he will be better because he made the show earlier on a much better team doesn’t make it so. I could cite tons of examples if you like.
It is clear. In the past 30 years, only two players have had more ES points as an 18 year old in the NHL than Hischier in 2018 - Sidney Crosby in 2006, and Patrick Laine in 2017 (MacKinnon 2014 is tied with Hischer).

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
It is clear. In the past 30 years, only two players have had more ES points as an 18 year old in the NHL than Hischier in 2018 - Sidney Crosby in 2006, and Patrick Laine in 2017 (MacKinnon 2014 is tied with Hischer).
Out of Nico's 46 ES points last year, 34 came with Hall. Not many 18 year olds get to ride shotgun with the hart trophy winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad