Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Re-signed for 4.025 x 5

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I live in Vancouver and walked into the office today and announced Pettersson signed an extension.

They were so excited they didn’t even question the AAV for about 15 seconds

BiodegradableWanIrishredandwhitesetter-size_restricted.gif

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I live in Vancouver and walked into the office today and announced Pettersson signed an extension.

They were so excited they didn’t even question the AAV for about 15 seconds

BiodegradableWanIrishredandwhitesetter-size_restricted.gif
They're too busy wanking to his 10k contribution as the greatest humanitarian act of this century in my office.

PhilThrillPill

Jun 4, 2016
Toronto
Every signing comes with risk. What i dig is the age factor here. Pets wasn't so jittery last year. He's almost been scared to skate the puck this year. I think he will grow into confidence. Marino/Letang can help him in that regard. But every signing has some type of risk. That's life in a sport.

Having a one year deal at extra cheap and being promised that later on you will get a 4x5 million deal will make you VERY CAREFUL not to get injured....
I wonder if that had any effect on his game.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
That seems valid for the most point, e.g. Shultz. I still don't understand what happened with Bonino. Guy stuck his broken leg into a skate in an attempt to play in a critical Finals game, I figure he thought his future as a Pen wasn't in doubt. I realize this isn't directly comparable to Petts taking the one year deal figuring the Pens would take care of him, but I still think there is a story there.

I doubt he was told they’d be re-signing him or anything like that. It’s the cup and they’re crazy. You have someone like Gallagher coming back to early from a concussion in the regular season when Montreal is already out of the hunt. Gallagher doesn’t even have the added pressure of a contract year.

Reactions: Peat

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I can stomach Pettersson when he's paired with Marino and only with Marino. He's the Dominik Simon of the Pens Defense, imo.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Pettersson to be is very much a there defenceman. He's not gonna tip the scales either way. The stats reflect that too: this season he has had no impact defensively and hardly any impact defensively from a possession standpoint. And that's fine by me. This is a little more than I would've wanted to pay for him but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

I will say though, that despite that he has made Marino, Schultz, and Ruhwedel better from a possession standpoint this season, That's not nothing.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Every signing comes with risk. What i dig is the age factor here. Pets wasn't so jittery last year. He's almost been scared to skate the puck this year. I think he will grow into confidence. Marino/Letang can help him in that regard. But every signing has some type of risk. That's life in a sport.

based on his comments, hopefully getting this signed and sealed helps him take a deep breath and get less jittery

Reactions: TNT87

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Both need some extra meals. Shouldn't be too difficult with some help. Honestly if Petts gets stronger he'll be awesome. He's still a bit of a baby giraffe.

to say he's a beanpole in street clothes might be giving beanpoles quite a bit of additional bulk - that was what really struck me seeing him out in the wild

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I wish Dumoulin was closer to returning so the top 4 would end up being:

Dumoulin, Letang
Pettersson, Marino

As for Schultz and Johnson, not sure if I would keep either before the deadline, I do like Riikola, but I would look at adding a RD with term that has a few years in the NHL.

Connor Carrick type (like a younger Trevor Daley type of kid).

Last edited:

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
One big regression in Petterson’s game is last year he was getting a lot of shots on net. This year he’s been off target.

it could be coaching though

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
One big regression in Petterson’s game is last year he was getting a lot of shots on net. This year he’s been off target.

it could be coaching though

Shots through last season was 40.9% (1.26 per game) and this season 35.4% (1.04 per game).

Not huge but he was on the lower end to start with here.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
It's more like a 6 year deal with an annual cap hit of 3.6 million as he signed a super team friendly deal this season.

Last edited:

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
It's more like a 6 year deal with an annual cap hit of 3.6 million as he signed a super team friendly deal this season.
From MP's point of view, yes you're right. From the Pens point of view the cap hit is $4.025m.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Wasn't Petts paired with Guds last season and carried him to the biggest outlier performance of his entire career?

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad