Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Re-signed for 4.025 x 5

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
JR did right by Petts...

So happy for him.
I just hope now that JR does right by that defense and throws out Jack Johnson at the deadline, I would much rather see a left side of - Dumoulin, Pettersson, Riikola next year or hell, even this year. With the RD being Letang, Schultz, Marino and Ruhwedel, we WILL be fine without him.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I think most non-Pens fans will say: "Who?! Ahahahaha, what an overpayment!"

Which, they're wrong.
Surprisingly someone took that "I dont know this dude so its bad" stance in the signing thread, and he got pilloried. And then dunked on by Jacob, which brought a smile to the faces of little orphan children everywhere.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Fair deal. Hopefully he can take another step, but if not he'll at least not be bad at that number.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd have rather done less term for less money, but still happy enough with this. It's a fair contract for what he is and if he gets better, it'll be a bargain.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I hope he finishes strong.

Certainly areas of his game he needs to improve on top of bulking up some.
This is basically paying him to what he projects to be.
The sample size with Guds was promising but MP's individual play with both Schultz and Marino this season has been iffy.
You can tell the kid is still raw and all we can do is hope that he grows into what he's paid.

I totally get expecting MP-Marino to be good/great in the future(as JR is banking on) but you still have to wait and see if it turns out that way.
Think atm, it's Marino dragging MP up. Most nights this season there hasn't been much difference between MP and JJ's overall play.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'd have rather done less term for less money, but still happy enough with this. It's a fair contract for what he is and if he gets better, it'll be a bargain.

Unfortunately that seems to be the going rate for low end #4/high end #5 defensemen with potential for growth on their side. Hopefully he can find a bit more consistency and be the second pairing's equivalent of Dumoulin (or close to it).

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I was thinking closer to 3.5M/yr on the cap hit. And I have a funny feeling it's a contract we'll be trying to get out of in 3/4 years.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I was thinking closer to 3.5M/yr on the cap hit. And I have a funny feeling it's a contract we'll be trying to get out of in 3/4 years.

So... I think he showed last year he's a good player AND he's crazy young. We know that's tough on dmen. The one thing I think definitely at least deserves some fair understanding is that Pets has NOT played like a 4m player this year. He will never really be a goal scorer, and I don't think that is ever expected. But this year he's not playing up to that par.

But idk my gut is saying he's going to make this contact look fantastic. Dumo-style. To the point where we go "Thank God..." That's my gut. :) And i've been very hard on Pets this year. I think he's been very poor for his skillset this year.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

It kind of is a $3.5 million per year when you factor in him taking only $874k on a 1 year deal this past summer instead of insisting on a long-term deal.

So if it makes it easier to swallow, instead of slightly over $20 million over 5 years, think of it as $21 million over 6 years.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
I'm glad they re-signed him, and think that $4m is pretty much the going rate for what he brings to the table (good defensive play with a tiny bit of offense). Seems pretty much like an updated version of Kjell Samuelsoon (better skater, less physical, but still tall, goofy and Swedish).

He was my kid's "Blueline Buddy" (got to stand with him during the National Anthem) before one of his first Ducks' games, so I have followed him pretty closely and always rooted for him.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It kind of is a $3.5 million per year when you factor in him taking only $874k on a 1 year deal this past summer instead of insisting on a long-term deal.

So if it makes it easier to swallow, instead of slightly over $20 million over 5 years, think of it as $21 million over 6 years.

2 times now JR has been a man of his word. Schultz was 1.4m and got his payday. Pets took 800k and got his. I mean really... both guys could have fought for more up front. JR is a good man. There is 0 doubt in my that a handshake agreement was there. Or at least something was discussed about what was to come.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
2 times now JR has been a man of his word. Schultz was 1.4m and got his payday. Pets took 800k and got his. I mean really... both guys could have fought for more up front. JR is a good man. There is 0 doubt in my that a handshake agreement was there. Or at least something was discussed about what was to come.

Yep, and seeing how the calculations actually do work out to $3.5 million per year if you include the 1 year deal, I'd bet that was kind of the agreement. Pettersson's side was looking for around that, but JR needed the cap space this past summer and deferred the bulk of it for when he had more wiggle room. Pettersson's side agreed since they'd ultimately get their $21 million over the next 6 years anyway.

The only minor hiccup is the cap *hit* is $500k more now than if he'd signed the 6 year deal last summer. But it worked out fine since it allowed JR to get Tanev on the books this past summer with that additional wiggle room.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Unfortunately that seems to be the going rate for low end #4/high end #5 defensemen with potential for growth on their side. Hopefully he can find a bit more consistency and be the second pairing's equivalent of Dumoulin (or close to it).

That's the long and the short of it isn't it? Dmen get paid. The level of play needed to make 4m as a dman and 4m as a forward are different. Everytime it happens some get edgy, but you look at the contracts around and it's fair.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Not that it's a bad deal whatsoever standing alone...Petts also gave up some UFA years.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Arguably 3. He still gave Vegas the 2nd to take Fleury when they were very, very, very likely to take him with no incentive.

Reactions: Peat

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
I mean maatta’s contract started to be an issue on this team a we still were able to move him. Cost controlled puck movers have value in this league.

part of me thinks Sprong saw this and immediately had his shot blocked.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We got out of Maatta’s okay, so I’m not worried too much about that.
Yeah I didn't want to say this but basically this. I am not thrilled but it is what it is with the market and the hope is he continues to progress, but being out played by Marino makes me wonder how this contract impacts things going forward. But as it stands, if Maatta is movable after how bad of a fit he became, Pettersson should/would be easier given he doesn't have the epic skating issues hindering his game to move him along if need be.

This season, imo anyway, hasn't been a good push forward for his development though, far too inconsistent for me to say he's been this great player, paired with Marino he's been great, but that's literally what you can say about anyone paired with Marino this season. When he wasn't with Marino, he has looked very average, which is why I worry about the potential pairing of him with Schultz. I wasn't a fan of them together.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
The Pens always make good on their promises with players
That seems valid for the most point, e.g. Shultz. I still don't understand what happened with Bonino. Guy stuck his broken leg into a skate in an attempt to play in a critical Finals game, I figure he thought his future as a Pen wasn't in doubt. I realize this isn't directly comparable to Petts taking the one year deal figuring the Pens would take care of him, but I still think there is a story there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->