Proposal: Pettersson for McTavish + Mintyukov (off-Season trade)

Feb 19, 2018
I don't care about the life style aspect of it.

All i care about is the return and it doesn't make sense for either teams to do it. Anaheim isn't one Pettersson away from being good and Vancouver can't trade a back-to-back 100p player for magic beans. If they trade him they will need at least one player that can step in the next season and be ~0.8ppg. I do have faith in both McTavis and Minty but we're talking a couple of years down the line before they'll reach close to Pettersson.

Can Vancouver wait those years? I don't think they can (if they trade Pettersson).
This isn’t “chump change” in a return for him. It’s a reasonable asking price for a 25 year old top 5 Centre in the game today.

Vancouver has a Cap issue going forward and with the acquisition of Lindholm allows them to replace some of the parts left behind from his departure. It’s an “opportunity” to trade him without losing very much and also an “opportunity” to add a very good player to an Anaheim roster who has won a Cup before and provide a certain lifestyle while also convincing a Gibson type player to stay and jump a progression adjustment.

I totally understand why both teams don’t do it but it isn’t far off from what could allow both teams to remain competitive in the process.

Revenue is very important to owners as Pettersson sells tickets and draft picks don’t help Vancouver in their window of opportunity.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
This isn’t “chump change” in a return for him. It’s a reasonable asking price for a 25 year old top 5 Centre in the game today.

Vancouver has a Cap issue going forward and with the acquisition of Lindholm allows them to replace some of the parts left behind from his departure. It’s an “opportunity” to trade him without losing very much and also an “opportunity” to add a very good player to an Anaheim roster who has won a Cup before and provide a certain lifestyle while also convincing a Gibson type player to stay and jump a progression adjustment.

I totally understand why both teams don’t do it but it isn’t far off from what could allow both teams to remain competitive in the process.

Revenue is very important to owners as Pettersson sells tickets and draft picks don’t help Vancouver in their window of opportunity.

I never called it a bad trade in terms of value, just in terms of need.

Neither player would reach their full potential before Miller and/or Lindholms age starts to show was all i said, i never called it chump change or anything like that.

Feb 19, 2018
I never called it a bad trade in terms of value, just in terms of need.

Neither player would reach their full potential before Miller and/or Lindholms age starts to show was all i said, i never called it chump change or anything like that.
With the Canucks it’s more of a Cap space move while being able to retain the 3rd line, Lindholm and Zadorov, Hronek along with adding a piece like Guentzel etc. Canucks brass have shown they have asset management and Lindholm was a big price to pay.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Pettersson is a heck of a player and clearly the best one involved in this trade, but would there be guarantees he'd sign in Anaheim IF he doesn't want to stay in VAN? I cannot imagine that.

Also, not sure if Ducks would necessarilly want to get "older". I don't see much good reasons from Ducks POV as well

Reactions: Ducks DVM

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Why would EP leave Canucks for a rebuilding team right when Canucks finally start winning? He’s a millionaire and can spend his offseason in SoCal if he likes the weather that much.

Feb 19, 2018
Pettersson is a heck of a player and clearly the best one involved in this trade, but would there be guarantees he'd sign in Anaheim IF he doesn't want to stay in VAN? I cannot imagine that.

Also, not sure if Ducks would necessarilly want to get "older". I don't see much good reasons from Ducks POV as well
I’ve stated this is a sign and trade.

Reactions: Kalv
Feb 19, 2018
Why would EP leave Canucks for a rebuilding team right when Canucks finally start winning? He’s a millionaire and can spend his offseason in SoCal if he likes the weather that much.
Prior to this year the team has been an absolute tire fire. This might be precedence as they have had 3 coaches and new management in the last 3 years.

Last year a jersey was thrown on the ice first home game and he stated after a game it’s finally fun to play here.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Prior to this year the team has been an absolute tire fire. This might be precedence as they have had 3 coaches and new management in the last 3 years.

Last year a jersey was thrown on the ice first home game and he stated after a game it’s finally fun to play here.
Vancouver is still a beautiful place with great food and culture and the team has foundational pieces at F, D & G. The new management has made solid move after solid move. I don’t think they are going to be a dynasty but it’s a good set-up for him to chase Cups.

He’d probably be 30 by the time the Ducks get rolling. HFBoards always overvalues youth

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
With the Canucks it’s more of a Cap space move while being able to retain the 3rd line, Lindholm and Zadorov, Hronek along with adding a piece like Guentzel etc. Canucks brass have shown they have asset management and Lindholm was a big price to pay.

If Pettersson is your cap casualty you guys need to win the cup in the space of 1-3 years (post Pettersson).

Feb 19, 2018
Vancouver is still a beautiful place with great food and culture and the team has foundational pieces at F, D & G. The new management has made solid move after solid move. I don’t think they are going to be a dynasty but it’s a good set-up for him to chase Cups.

He’d probably be 30 by the time the Ducks get rolling. HFBoards always overvalues youth
No doubting that! I think it’s the rain during the season and amount of popularity being the only major professional team puts the focus on having privacy. Look at the Ohanti signing for a reference.

Feb 19, 2018
If Pettersson is your cap casualty you guys need to win the cup in the space of 1-3 years (post Pettersson).
It’s about Pettersson wanting to be here and not if he’s wanted. Outside of Vancouver I understand why people think or feel this way.

We don’t not want him as he’s absolutely elite. It’s if he wants to be here and ruffling feathers along the way.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
This doesn't make any sense for Anaheim. They aren't a Pettersson away from being a consistent playoff contender and have no way of guaranteeing he even stays. The only possibility for a trade like this is if Pettersson agreed to a sign and trade but even then I doubt they would.

The reality is if Pettersson wants out, we're dealing with contending or near contending teams. Think the likes of Boston, for example. Not saying they would but a team in a comparable situation. Otherwise, he's a one year rental and with a price to match that.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
It’s about Pettersson wanting to be here and not if he’s wanted. Outside of Vancouver I understand why people think or feel this way.

We don’t not want him as he’s absolutely elite. It’s if he wants to be here and ruffling feathers along the way.

Again, i don't care about want.

If you somehow manage to get the ducks to agree to the McTavish & Minty trade there is no reason to expect them to fill the hole that Pettersson would leave you with. They will turn out to be great players i'm sure, but you don't need great players in few years down the line if you trade Pettersson. You'll need great players right now.

Otherwise Miller will go to waste. You don't have the luxury of "young player fiding themselfs" or anything like that. You'd need a contributer and you would need it from the point that the trade was done.

If you trade Pettersson, get a hockey trade or it will bite you in the ass once both Miller and/or Lindholm ages out.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Anaheim has a bright future and there was a rumour that he wanted to join Chicago earlier in the year. Any team that can afford him needs to also have Cap space in order to do so.

Pettersson is in no position wanting to get paid and join a “contender” without them gutting their team in a trade.

I personally think he wants privacy in his life and get paid while doing it. Lifestyle has a huge part in him wanting to resign and he enjoys the Ferrari to the rink mindset.

He's on a contender now. Vancouver will absolutely pay to keep him. One of the best markets to live in. What am I missing here?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

As much as I wish this was a flash in the pan, it's clear as day Vancouver is being well managed and has an excellent roster. Franchise D in Hughes, elite goalie, scoring depth. Great respected coach, some high end prospects coming.

This is no longer Dim Jim Benning's Canucks.

Feb 19, 2018
As much as I wish this was a flash in the pan, it's clear as day Vancouver is being well managed and has an excellent roster. Franchise D in Hughes, elite goalie, scoring depth. Great respected coach, some high end prospects coming.

This is no longer Dim Jim Benning's Canucks.
You expect progression in players and thats exactly why Vancouver makes the trade. Having Lindholms rights allows you to replace a 2nd line Centre at worst until these players grow into their roles or potential. There is absolutely no scenario where you replace Pettersson straight up and provide Cap space in order to make the team remain contenders or even break even to where they are now.

This move prioritizes Cap space and allows them to add players who “might” live up to their expectations. Any trade involving Pettersson is a back step but allows one player to be removed rather than a few of them as the team has had great success this year.

Down the middle it allows Miller, Lindholm, McTavish along with a great future top 4 option under a cost controlled scenario while hoping the voids get filled with progression.

Pettersson is obviously the best choice but this trade proposal was under “worst case scenario” while adding players who could fill roles while also allowing Cap relief in the immediate future.

Progression is linear and depends on the player but pedigree and development play a huge role in what the player will become going forward.

No replacing Pettersson as he is the best player in the trade! Coming to a realization and filling the needs need to be explored due to contract demands and agreement.

If Pettersson wanted to be here he would be signed with the blank cheque offered already. The Horvat trade was evidence building a roster that is well balanced is more important than individual success.

I believe Pettersson wants a different lifestyle rather than a scenario where he gets paid and plays for this newfound contender as he would have already hinted at a resign.

Teams need to plan around assets and agreement that the player is committed and willing to sign. I think he is more willing as an individual to live and play for a team where he can do the best of both worlds under his circumstances and that might consider his personal lifestyle.

California has multiple major sports situations that allow him to do so. Clearly loyalties are not the common denominator.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
I don’t see a way either team would want to do this, it just doesn’t make sense for either team, in any scenario.

Feb 19, 2018
I don’t see a way either team would want to do this, it just doesn’t make sense for either team, in any scenario.
It’s easy to see from Anehims standpoint. They get a legit superstar and basically franchise Center in order to mentor Leo Carlsson. Vancouver clears Cap space in order to resign other important components and gives them the Cap space to add a Guentzel to the roster as a UFA as it’s common knowledge the management has a relationship with the player.

Canucks have added Lindholm to the roster where they gave up significant assets to do so. They have 11 UFA’s this year and will be hard pressed to resign all of their chemistry other than their superstar who potentially wants out. Vancouver does not want 4 1st round picks in order to rebuild as ownership will not be happy with.

A recent 3rd and 10th overall pick tracking well would be a much better option than a draft slot going forward as they have both “shown” potential in the NHL.

Cap space has also been proven important along with contracts that have been manageable under team control.

The trade would more less look like Lindholm, McTavish and Minty with some Cap flexibility going forward along with some great potential. Teams trading high end assets like Pettersson would like to see players already with progression and a projected future instead of “lottery tickets”

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
Anaheim couldn't realize the potential of a player like Pettersson unless we could send HC Cronin and PP coach N. Brown back in the deal ... I doubt P is a PPG player in Anaheim's current system :dunno:

Neither team does this deal as people have commented earlier.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Not a fan of either team but I wouldn’t trade either one of those ducks straight up for Petterson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad